Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• vividevolutionvividevolution171 CA. USAPosts: 26Member
    Great stuff
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Promus wrote: »
    Yo, Pixel, give yourself more credit, man! You're one of the best modellers on the site. :)

Ha, you must have me confused with someone else, I'm just a novice modeler. Lighting/rendering/compositing is my specialty. :)
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I just wish I could model as well as you guys. Perhaps in time. :)

You're way ahead of most already, bud. ;)

deg
  • Would it be too much to ask for you to post small samples of the texture, bump, and specular that you used on the saucer?
    I'd love to see how you pulled the whole look off.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias, I just noticed something the other day when watching the movie again. The U.S.S. ENTERPRISE on the saucer needs outlining like the NCC-1701.

EDIT so it's not all criticism. Very nice work on saucer detailing.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Pixel - yes, I have a layout what I will show in the SotL calendar. Working on the Kelvin pic right now... This one will be a bit similar to one of the wallpapers I did (the one with the Kelvin flying away from the camera, orbiting an earth-like green planet). The Enterprise pic will feature the ship from the front, flying away from the earth orbit starbase.

Mabo - I donA’t have them right here, but IA’ll try to upload an overview soon. Each saucer texture consists of a number of element - the specular is put together using 4 different textures (basic plating, aztec, red&blue plates)

Shadow - thanks for watching out, but the "Enterprise" already has the same outline, itA’s just a lot smaller, therefore not easily noticeable.
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias - R these shots in this next SotL Calendar? Drex is pretty tough, but a great guy to work with. Love the updating, btw!!! :thumb: left another PM 4 U.

Pixel - Dude, you rock, so don't think otherwise. I could find you something cool to do on the Starship Grandeur Project. Send me a PM too if U want :)
  • Mabo - I donA’t have them right here, but IA’ll try to upload an overview soon. Each saucer texture consists of a number of element - the specular is put together using 4 different textures (basic plating, aztec, red&blue plates)

Thanks a lot! I look forward to it.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Shadow - thanks for watching out, but the "Enterprise" already has the same outline, itA’s just a lot smaller, therefore not easily noticeable.

Well, never mind then. :D Keep her flying!
    For those interested, I have assembled a sheet with all the textures involved for the main saucer material. This is at half the resolution. The tiles are used in with varied repeat values.
    78432.jpg
    Did some changes to the impulse drive and still fiddling around with the specular. The hexagons inside the impulse engine seem to be dark, maybe blocking the impulse drive exhaust from behind that. Oh well, whatever - at least itA’s now like it can be seen in the stills from the movie.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Looks pretty damn good to me. Great job, man.

Btw, I'm working on an animation of your Kelvin. I'll post it in a couple of days. :)
  • SarvekSarvek0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work. I really love your attention to detail.:thumb::thumb:
  • Ah, thank you very much, Tobias!

I'm just starting off with Maya and hope to one day make my own Enterprise.
    Seeing how you do things will be a big help.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII206 Posts: 364Member
    Excellent...what is your average render times?
    One last step I wanted to do is an upgraded interior bridge. I found a nice texture that I split in 3 different parts to get a sense of depth should the camera go around. Subtle effect, but I like those...

Render times vary a lot - from 10 minutes for a total of the Enterprise in a 1080p picture with normal antialias (0,2) up to 3 hours full frame, up close with high antialias and motion blur.

(Edit) - changed the shape of the window slightly. It seems the "real" window was a bit smaller then the one they modelled on the CGI ship.
    78477.jpg
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Stunning work.
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias,

I LOVE this model here. Are you sure the Bridge Window is accurate in shape?

According to this TrekCore screenshot, it looks slightly narrower in the movie:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/xihd/trekxihd2889.jpg

I know, it's a nitpick, but I want to help if only in this small way.
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    One last step I wanted to do is an upgraded interior bridge. I found a nice texture that I split in 3 different parts to get a sense of depth should the camera go around. Subtle effect, but I like those...

What, you're not going to just build the interior bridge, Tobias? :D

Looks great, my friend, awesome work! Thanks for givin' a peek at your maps too, as your texture work on her is phenomenal, eh.

deg
    DonA’t give me any ideas :D
    Do you run a separate system to render? or can you multi-task
    I use the computers in my studio to render animations - or do it overnight. Since this model requires a lot of ram for textures and shadowmaps, itA’s no good working on that computer when it renders :rolleyes: I plan to go to 64bit this year, then this wonA’t be such a problem (well, its not a big problem, just a nuisance at the moment)
    That's my problem now. I opted to upgrade my system [why the Romulan Bird is on delay] and now need to re-build money to get updated 64bit software. Thinking about waiting for this new Max Excalibur (XBR). I don't know anything about the software you use so I decided to stay with max. I am just hobbyist though so no real need for me to go all out. It's looking great and as always I am eager to see next update. What are you using to create textures? tablet or something else?
    IA’m no big fan of tablets, so I just use Photoshop and my mouse :)
    My 3D app is Maya, btw...
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    IA’m no big fan of tablets, so I just use Photoshop and my mouse :)
    My 3D app is Maya, btw...

The pen is mightier than the mouse. ;)
  • Boy will you crap yourself when you see the difference 64-bit makes.
  • fq340fq340171 Posts: 0Member
    I am wandering about the last poly count, i remember it was near 1m a month ago.

If you are thinking animation and your still renders take 5 to 20 mins, for a 3min animation like the last one, it'll take an average of 1000hrs to render.
    Can you give us an approximation about, how many computers at work you are going to use and how much time it'll take?
    I am asking because, i am thinking about doing a small animation of 2-3 mins. with 1m. poly to be rendered on a single pc (i7, 6gb ram, 64bit), wandering how much time it'll take..
  • firstangelfirstangel0 Posts: 0Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeIGuwoZEz4 now can we see a build of this coming on soon.
  • firstangel wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeIGuwoZEz4 now can we see a build of this coming on soon.
    Interesting model. I like the saucer section but not the rest of it.
    Shame that the youtube poster has to be an asshole and spread it around as having something to do with the next movie.

Tried googling skyKIRK, the name on the pictures, but I cant find the original model. Looks like he is a member here, though.
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member.php?13762-skyKIRK

It would be nice if everyone could leave comments on his video making sure everyone knows its a fake. He is deleting mine to cover his tracks.
  • firstangelfirstangel0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah it is a nice ship . i was wondering if anyone would snatch that ship and make there own take on it that would be funny i bet with all the talent in here someone could make a hotter looking verison then that.