Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Season Five A– NX A‘Toon

PheonPheon0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
As I part of my ongoing Enterprise A– Season Five project, (which has a thread in the 2D WIP section here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/19609-enterprise-season-5-animated.html) IA’ve started to work on a model for the NX class.

IA’ve obviously employed a toon shader in order to keep the style in line with the more traditionally animated character scenes. ItA’s pretty rudimentary at the moment but itA’s enough while I model the basics of the design.

As you can see from the images attached IA’ve being working on the the saucer section, and I should have more soon.
79248.jpg
Post edited by Pheon on
Tagged:

• PheonPheon0 Posts: 0Member
    UPDATE:

Fleshed out more of the saucer. Next, I'll be constructing the bridge module, and fleshing out the saucer some more with the impulse engines and deflector.
    47700.jpg47701.jpg47702.jpg
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Cool, I didn't know you were going to use any 3D, you'll be able to make awesome spacebattles. This also reminds me of a TAS, cellshading, clip maybe The Axeman did. I take it that beam weapons and the like will be in a toon shaded style as well?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Looks good so far.
    I take it that beam weapons and the like will be in a toon shaded style as well?

That's the plan, obviously I need to do some tests to see how everything will look.

UPDATE:

As you can see I've added the bridge module (though I'm still missing a bit from the back), the deflector, and impulse engines. Next up are the catamarans.
    48380.jpg48381.jpg
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    This looks really good, i've always been looking to do a 3D cartoon version of the TOS enterprise
    UPDATE:

The catamarans are done. Next up I'll flesh out the aft structures and start to work on the nacelles.
    48394.jpg48395.jpg48396.jpg
    UPDATE:

A little update on the ongoing effort on the nacelles. I'm working on the rear section now, which is a pretty complex shape so it could take a while.
    48518.jpg
  • agelshaxeagelshaxe331 Posts: 0Member
    Nifty ! Looks nice and smoooooth.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah the model is pretty slick so far. Will you be testuring it ? I guess not because it would break up the cartoony style (unless you go with cartoony textures) ... Anyway, I found some really nice pics of the NX class : NX Class I'm sure that you have some reference pics but these ones are the best I've ever seen. Keep up the good job ! :thumb: I can't wait to see first animations of your series !
    Looking good, although the saucer impulse engines need to be thicker, vertically.
    Yeah the model is pretty slick so far. Will you be testuring it ? I guess not because it would break up the cartoony style (unless you go with cartoony textures)

Yes, the intention is to texture it. IA’ve attached an imagine depicting a preliminary texture IA’ve being experimenting with, and I hope itA’ll give you an idea of the look IA’m shooting for.
    48561.jpg
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    i wonder if i could achieve a simillar cartoon effect with the TOS enterprise in blender..?
  • ghoyle1ghoyle10 Posts: 0Member
    This is awesome. Keep us posted!

Guy Hoyle
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    err...cool, i think :D
    After three rebuilds you can see the result of my efforts on the rear section of the nacelle. Unfortunately, itA’s not exactly the look I was going for but I think itA’s about as good as IA’m going to get for now.

You can also see IA’ve added the central pod as well, and IA’ve started to flesh out the rear of the saucer. Right now, IA’m still working on the nacelles and hope to have more detail added soon.
    i wonder if i could achieve a simillar cartoon effect with the TOS enterprise in blender..?

Sorry, I really couldnA’t tell you.
    50649.jpg50650.jpg
  • SolProSolPro0 Posts: 0Member
    what app are you using for this and is it a default toon shader? looks good.
    SolPro wrote: »
    what app are you using for this and is it a default toon shader? looks good.

3DS MAX 8, and yes this is more or less the default toonshader. I tweaked about with the settings here and there in order to get the lines to the right width, and I bumped the amount of paint levels up in order to get a more shaded effect.
    UPDATE:

On today's work on the nacelle so far.
    50693.jpg
    UPDATE:

Pretty much all the basics are now modelled, I'm now going into additional detailing and I'll be tweaking the toonshaders.
    50746.jpg50747.jpg
    Wow this is really great ! :thumb: The nacelles are very well done and I can't wait to see what details you will be putting in your ship. Be sure to add hangar bay because I don't see one :p
    Wow this is really great ! :thumb: The nacelles are very well done and I can't wait to see what details you will be putting in your ship. Be sure to add hangar bay because I don't see one :p

Good catch, I actually completely forgot about that. No worries, it shouldn't take too long to remedy the oversight.
    Don't forget the phase cannon hatches, torpedo tubes, thrusters, and sensor pallets either.
    That's a really great model you've got there :) The nacelles are my favourite parts from the model so far but overall it's an awesome-looking ship. I can't wait to see this one finished and flying with other Ent-era cel-shaded ships :D keep it up ! :thumb:
    It might be a while before you see it flying with other Starfleet ships, they're low priority compared with what's needed for the story I'm currently working on. But I've already started and am some ways through the next model on the list.

I'll just leave it at that for now. ;)
    The outriggers should be a bit lower, the difference between them and the part they flank isn't so great. Also, that thing on the rectangular protrusion that goes out the side and over the top of the bridge deck continues back at a ninety degree left turn to the aft. It's looking great.
    UPDATE:

Work on the thrusters.
    The outriggers should be a bit lower, the difference between them and the part they flank isn't so great. Also, that thing on the rectangular protrusion that goes out the side and over the top of the bridge deck continues back at a ninety degree left turn to the aft. It's looking great.

Could you clarify what you're talking about here?
    51232.jpg
    UPDATE:

I've started adding some textures and detailing continues.
    52471.jpg
    Looks cool. For a moment I thought that you abandoned this project :D Good to see it up and running. There are still some missing details on that NX such as the mentioned sensors and "cover" above the deflector dish but it's looking great :thumb:
    Looks cool. For a moment I thought that you abandoned this project :D Good to see it up and running. There are still some missing details on that NX such as the mentioned sensors and "cover" above the deflector dish but it's looking great :thumb:

Are you kidding me, to give up after all I've thrown into it... :eek: Trust me, ain't gonna happen. :)

Obviously, there's still a lot of detailing left to do, but it's the textures I'm worried about now, especially since it's probably my weakest area of expertise. But right now one of the main questions is whatA’s happening with some of the more minor details, for instance the weapons ports and the smaller windows, and whether theyA’ll be modelled or textured. ItA’s looking like the larger windows around the rim will be modelled, and the smaller ones covering the upper and lower saucers will be included on the texture.