Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Season Five A– NX A‘Toon

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Good to hear that :D
    When it comes to details such as the windows and ports, I always model them. I'm not a big fan of adding details by "painting" them on with a texture. It's always more fun and if you want to do a close-up shot, it will certainly look better.
  • PheonPheon0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's just a quick image of another little WIP I'm working on. I'm not sure if I should just post these updates in here, or open a seperate thread for this WIP alone.
    52478.jpg
    Good to hear that :D
    When it comes to details such as the windows and ports, I always model them. I'm not a big fan of adding details by "painting" them on with a texture. It's always more fun and if you want to do a close-up shot, it will certainly look better.

Well, render time is always a factor that I'm worried about. But considering this is a toon shader, I don't think the difference will be all that noticeable but we'll see. I'll do some experimenting and if it looks too jarring I'll just model them.
    Pheon wrote: »
    Well, render time is always a factor that I'm worried about. But considering this is a toon shader, I don't think the difference will be all that noticeable but we'll see. I'll do some experimenting and if it looks too jarring I'll just model them.

Yeah, you should first check how the models look without polygonal details and then add them as you fit in later shots. Maybe you should do 2 versions of the ship - one with modelled details for close-up shots and one with textures for distant views where no one will even notice them.
    Oh and the D5 looks pretty nice so far. I think that this part was a bit more longer and flat but it's probably due to the perspective. Good work :thumb:
    Oh and the D5 looks pretty nice so far. I think that this part was a bit more longer and flat but it's probably due to the perspective. Good work :thumb:

I'll let you be the judge. I've also included an image of the NX, with several of the window added onto the texture.
    52508.jpg52509.jpg
    I'll let you be the judge. I've also included an image of the NX, with several of the window added onto the texture.

Hmm now the D5's "head" looks good. I think the best you can do is to get a screencap and try to match the model with it. If you get anywhere close then it will be ok.
    When it comes to the NX it seems that the windows look good enough. I thought that they will be too different from the polygonal parts. But they're not :D
    Awesome work man, keep it up :thumb:

[edit]
    On a side note , I took my Conestoga through cel-shading process and the booleaning made the window areas pretty messy :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/adam145/grafika/conestoga12.jpg

I think you better leave the polygonal windows alone :lol:
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Somacruz145, the Conestoga looks really cool with cell shaded graphics, the windows look weird though.
    The outriggers should be a bit lower, the difference between them and the part they flank isn't so great. Also, that thing on the rectangular protrusion that goes out the side and over the top of the bridge deck continues back at a ninety degree left turn to the aft. It's looking great.
    Could you clarify what you're talking about here?
    Sexy thrusters by the way.:)

Here's some clarification in your eye.

nxtoonwip23lw6.th.jpg819nx01bridgehc3.th.jpgnx0101zz2.th.jpg

I think heights are off in several parts and the front of the deck below the bridge is oblong but a bit too oblong.
    But right now one of the main questions is what’s happening with some of the more minor details, for instance the weapons ports and the smaller windows, and whether they’ll be modelled or textured.

Draw the stuff, it looks great that way and as suggested, model it if it doesn't look right but I think it will look right.:thumb:
    Hey there everyone, I decided to join forces with Pheon and from now on we're going to work on the project together :) I will be now responsible for the 3D work, continuing what Pheon started. Here's what we did in a week's time :

Klingon : Early Bird of Prey

bop7.jpg
    bop8.jpg
    bop10.jpg

Klingon : D5

d59.jpg
    d511.jpg
    d510.jpg

Klingon : Small Bird of Prey (very WIP ...)

smallbop1.jpg

This is just for one episode ... and there will probably be more ships in (I'm not counting the Enterprise, of course)

If anyone's interested in joining, contact Pheon. We're currently the only people working on this :rolleyes:
    Updates for the Small Bird of Prey:

smallbop4.jpg
    smallbop5.jpg
    smallbop6.jpg

and the whole fleet :

smallbop7.jpg

What do you people think about it ?
    C&C as always welcome. I'm not very used to working with cel-shading so every word of wisdom would be appreciated :)
    Just to let everyone know the small BoP is the "Augment ship" seen in 'Affliction' and 'Divergence'.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I really like that Augment's BoP...do you have any other references for that one? (except the 4 shot composition floating around the web)
    Melak wrote: »
    I really like that Augment's BoP...do you have any other references for that one? (except the 4 shot composition floating around the web)

There are some more screencaps over here Star Trek Enterprise DVD Screencaps :: TrekCore but they're not that much helpful. Most of the details I included in the model are a guess ... I don't think that any official orthos or other cgi views of the ship exist.
    Another update for the Klingons, this time the High Council building (from Ent's "Broken Bow")

council3.jpg

The models are pretty basic but the shading takes a bit of processing power and since we need literally dozens of cgi shots per episode, I'm trying to keep things relatively simple. (anyway, it's a cartoon so realistic, high-poly models are out of question)
    If anyone's still watching :shiner:
    Update on the Klingon Buildings.

council5.jpg

I've expanded the "city" site, added some buildings (along with connecting paths) and changed the color scheme a bit.
    Opinions ? :)
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    what app are you using for these models?
    liam887 wrote: »
    what app are you using for these models?

We both use 3DS MAX.
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, you're both going whole hog, whatever that means. I didn't realize there would be buildings too, although that makes perfect sense, I was expecting 2D buildings.:)

The little bird could use some improvement mostly where the wings meet the hull. Also, the curve of the rear portion of the head isn't right. The center portion of the head should also be wider. The weapons should be after the last joint of the wing tips, not the second from last joint. They hang a bit sideways, rather than vertical because of that placement. I think they may be the same guns as seen on the belly turret of the other ships. The basics of the ships are down though. I'll take a look at the other two another time but does your D5 have its bow gun and are the rear glowy parts of the nacelles angled back or straight vertical? They should be raked back with the to further back than the bottom.
    Wow, you're both going whole hog, whatever that means. I didn't realize there would be buildings too, although that makes perfect sense, I was expecting 2D buildings.:)

Trust me, when you see the shots we're planning on doing with the 3D exteriors you'll know why we went down this route. ;)
    The little bird could use some improvement mostly where the wings meet the hull. Also, the curve of the rear portion of the head isn't right. The center portion of the head should also be wider. The weapons should be after the last joint of the wing tips, not the second from last joint. They hang a bit sideways, rather than vertical because of that placement. I think they may be the same guns as seen on the belly turret of the other ships. The basics of the ships are down though. I'll take a look at the other two another time but does your D5 have its bow gun and are the rear glowy parts of the nacelles angled back or straight vertical? They should be raked back with the to further back than the bottom.

Ok then I will answer the second part since I'm responsible for the ships :)
    When it comes to the small bird of prey, as I said before, I added details to it as I was modelling. I couldn't make out any reasonable stuff from the screencaps so I just added stuff pretty much at random. However, I appreciate your concerns and will make the changes to the model. I checked the screens again and now I see that the parts you mentioned are totally way off. I can't believe I set the cannons vertically, not at an angle ... thanks for pointing that out :thumb:
    The D5 has its bow cannon although it's impossible to see from the angles I set the ship at. The "glowy parts", however, are straight ... I will fix that in a moment and post some new screens in a moment.

But before that, here are some new shots.

Updated Bird of Prey

bop15.jpg
    bop16.jpg
    bop17.jpg

Small Klingon shuttle (probably just a background ship)

shuttle1-1.jpg

Klingon Outpost (a very rough idea)

outpost.jpg
  • CandvaCandva0 Posts: 0Member
    Cannot say enough about how awesome this is!!!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Candva wrote: »
    Cannot say enough about how awesome this is!!!

I second that!:)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I second that!:)
    I third!!! :thumb:
    Hahaha :lol: Thanks guys :thumb:
    Here are some more little updates :
    1.Front viewscreen for the Klingon shuttle
    shuttle2-1.jpg
    2.Another NX class starship. About 40% kitbash, 100% not to get into the series :D (Pheon didn't like it :p)
    nxtest.jpg
    3.texture test for the Bird of Prey. I also changed the color by mistake, sorry ...
    bop18.jpg
    4.Damaged Bird of Prey test
    bop19.jpg
    This is gonna be one sick show when you're done! :thumb:
    This is gonna be one sick show when you're done! :thumb:

Thanks :D If you like my ships then you will like the show because Pheon does an awesome job writing the script. With the current speed we'll have the script and models ready for the pilot episode in no time :D After that we will "only" have to make the animations and compose the episode (if anyone wants to join, we're hiring everyone :D)
    Now back to my favourite part, the updates :shiner:

First in line is the Bird of Prey. I was kind enough to spare five minutes of my time to add some more damage to the model. This "variant" will probably be only in the first episode so that's why I'm trying to make it unique.

bop20.jpg

Next, the Klingon Outpost. Again, not many changes but at least it's starting to look like a real Klingon creation.

outpost2.jpg

Now onto some new creations. Here is the Golden Gate Bridge (in San Francisco, no surprises here :D) which will be used in the trailer and (as a background image) for StarFleet HQ shots. Water material is not the one which will be used, and the small Bird of Prey is there just for ... fun :shiner:

goldengate.jpg

Finally, a new ship. Hmm well, it's new for me but it everyone must have seen one :D

bop5.jpg
    bop3.jpg
    bop4.jpg

Thanks everyone for the support so far :thumb:
    Be sure to follow the thread as it gets updated daily :)
    Yeeha! I want a wallpaper-size of that Golden gate shot when its done :thumb:
    Yeeha! I want a wallpaper-size of that Golden gate shot when its done :thumb:

No problem :D After I finish the model (and add some more details because it will be pretty simple), I will make a wallpaperout of it.
    And before I go to sleep ... yeah, you know it :lol:

UPDATES !

The first one is a Klingon Cargo Vessel :lol:
    It's actually 0% complete :flippy:
    The image is here just to let you know that something similar is coming ...

ktransport.jpg

Next one is a bit better Golden Gate (a VERY little bit)

goldengate2.jpg

And the actual update (you didn't think I would make a real update with such crappy images, didn't you ? :D)

A test animation. Youtube compressed it so much, it actually look worse than if I exported it as a video for a cell phone ... but it should give you an idea of how will stuff look like when it's moving.
    And by the way, I will reexport the animation at settings that will allow youtube to play it in high quality so don't worry about seeing the details :)

YouTube - Test Animations
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent! I wish you guys the best on this. I dont think it could be anything other than ....well....awesome!
    I like the water reflections- but you are kind of cheating :D using 3d models and textures to simulate a 2d project. Impressive as hell, tho!
    I like the water reflections- but you are kind of cheating :D using 3d models and textures to simulate a 2d project. Impressive as hell, tho!

Yeah, you can call it "cheating" if you want, I prefer efficient. :D