Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    nice work, mate!
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, you could always keep that for close ups, and swap out a lower poly version for distance.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Very nice ! Yeah you may want to look at low poly replacements, otherwise this will become like Pluto station, unrenderable all together :D (unless you have a 64 bit OS :D)

Lovelly detailing, though IMHO you should have built in more differentiation in your materials, so you can add subtle differences in the material. UV texturing all that will result in a small computernova :D
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, I can't even begin to imagine how cool that would look once it was textured and in an animation of a ship docking. It really would look real...
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    And would likely kill his pc... :D (get a mac :devil:)

^runs :runs:
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Very nice...

BTw, I noticed earlier you're running 9.0. Errr, why?

M
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Great updates, GP! :D

Did you start work on any of the low poly dock areas? I'm curious to see how they look compared to the high poly ones from far away.
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    And would likely kill his pc... :D (get a mac :devil:)

^runs :runs:

Ha Ha * raspberry* I'm on a MacPro Quad 2.66 . . . . :flippy:
    good machine . . .

mattc wrote: »
    Very nice...

BTw, I noticed earlier you're running 9.0. Errr, why?

M

9.3 UB for some reason is unstable on my machine, too much configuring and fooling around for the return. V9.0 is stable enough for me to use at the moment. when they work out the bug in 9.3 OR come out with the 64 bit version I will switch over.
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    Great updates, GP! :D

Did you start work on any of the low poly dock areas? I'm curious to see how they look compared to the high poly ones from far away.

I have been doing small updates between my erratic work schedule . . at the moment I am working on the plating design . . . I could replicate the pattern but I want to be lazy and use what I have in the mesh design already . . here is a shot of the plating pregress.
    gp
    48752.jpg48753.jpg
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Dude, I don't think there is any part of this model you can call lazy. You want to see Lazy, go look up one o my models, where I get bored after the second chamfered edge and just glue four boxes to a cylinder and say it's finished. :)

The latest update looks excellent, as ever.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    9.3 UB for some reason is unstable on my machine, too much configuring and fooling around for the return. V9.0 is stable enough for me to use at the moment. when they work out the bug in 9.3 OR come out with the 64 bit version I will switch over.

09.3.1. UB is the latest version with 9.5 in beta anytime now. 64-bit Mac version is possible right now. Not until everything under OSX is 64-bit and that may be a while given Apple's cancellatin of certain technologies.

if you're having problems with the UB, try disabling the hub.

M.
    mattc wrote: »
    09.3.1. UB is the latest version with 9.5 in beta anytime now. 64-bit Mac version is possible right now. Not until everything under OSX is 64-bit and that may be a while given Apple's cancellatin of certain technologies.

if you're having problems with the UB, try disabling the hub.

M.

I did all that, and it still was a bit unstable on my machine (09.3.1) as well.
    That's fine, prolly just some extension out of whack, but like I said too much fiddling around for the the end result. 9.0 is stable and usable for me at the moment, when a solid upgrade comes I will switch, I'd be crazy not to.
    gp
    Updates . . .
    just plugging along trying to keep this thing going . . . . the new job is really cutting down my time to work on this model . . .
    gp
    48861.jpg48862.jpg48863.jpg
    1.jpg 80.2K
    3.jpg 41.9K
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Yeah, isnt work just plain annoying :D Solid update, but we need something wallpaper size :p
    Full station render! :devil:

Looking nice, though I am not sure if you are punishing yourself enough. Those grilles aren't curved :D Looking good though!
    tobian wrote: »
    Full station render! :devil:

Looking nice, though I am not sure if you are punishing yourself enough. Those grilles aren't curved :D Looking good though!

you're funny . . . dude, we should have a beer :D
    full render coming up . . . .
    gp
    full renders . . . .
    this is what I have up until now . . . . there are holes in the outer ring but hey . . it's a wip. So far the poly count is 3,120,724. That's the full blown smaller docking collars 9 times. if I make a Hero section as previously discussed the poly count could be cut down.
    gp
    48864.jpg48865.jpg48866.jpg
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Man that is some sweetness right there. The main section and the habitat ring look superb, particularly with the turrets deployed on the weapon sails. I look forward to seeing the rest of the docking ring, in particular the pylons.

Any chance we could get you to throw in a low poly runabout on one of the pads, or maybe the Defiant on one of the docks; just for fun with the next render?:thumb:
    niiiiiiiice!
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    As Jimi James said, the habitat ring and central core look incredible. If the rest of the model turns out so well (which I'm sure it will), there'll be no doubt that it's the best DS9 model in existence.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    wooot woooot wooooooo
    You running on LW 64 bit? Otherwise you are gonna hit a poly count wall soon :D

Looking superb! and anyone is always welcome to join for a pint.. like I need an excuse :D
  • Gareth isbannnedGareth isbannned0 Posts: 0Member
    One thing that would mean departing from cannon design but would improve the station would be to add another set of pylons which extend out from the center of the station. It would allow larger ships to dock and deliver people and goods to commercial section of the station more quickly. Adding 3 additional straight corridors from the center of the station would provide 3 new docking ports on the docking ring.
    One thing that would mean departing from cannon design but would improve the station would be to add another set of pylons which extend out from the center of the station. It would allow larger ships to dock and deliver people and goods to commercial section of the station more quickly. Adding 3 additional straight corridors from the center of the station would provide 3 new docking ports on the docking ring.

OMG please! no! the design is great as it is... minor tweaks and improvements are ok, but please don't mess with the overall design!

but maybe you could add nacelles :flippy:
    Lots of good stuff being said . . . thank you all :D
    I'm not going to drop the ball on this one . . promise.

@Tobian, not really sure if you are joking or not, but with v9.0 there should be no polycount wall. I know if I was using Inspire 3D it would have choked already but a poly wall in 9 shouldn't exist.

My machine is a MacPro so by nature it is 64 Bit but LW for Mac has no 64 Bit version. . . yet. So I hope after all is said and done, i should be fine with my poly count. . . . hopefully.
    gp
    Err sorry GP I am not joking. In a 32 bit mode you are not far from the poly count wall now. Lightwave has no gigapolygon core, or a bucket renderer mode. You can bypass it using plugins like HDinstance (if you needed to cover the station with dozens of instanced trees for example? :D) but you are limited by how much memory a given task will take. This is doubly bad for Fprime, because it also has to load it's contents into it's buffer, which takes up more memory, if you are close to the line, then it stops working a while before renderer does!

I am not double sure on how a Mac handles memory in 32 bit applications, if it's 2 or 4 gig - but beyond that that is your whack. Once you run out of memory for polygons, you will not get a render.. try this now with a subD object, and crank up the polygon density settings.. you will get a 'out of memory' warning.
    This sounds dodgy to me . . . I will have to check into this . . . . small snag but there is a work around I am sure.
    gp

p.s. obviously this poly cap you speak of is only in Layout . . correct?
    Just to clarify there is no 'cap' in-so-far as an expiration date on the number of polygons you are allowed: It's a "ran out of memory" issue, because renderer has to hold all of its polygons/surfaces/software/texture maps in memory to do a render, and if you have run out... you have run out. Using a bucket rendering system (like a lot of software does these days) can mitigate this issue, because it only loads in the polygons in a given 'bucket' (subdivided square of the rendering environment) this tactic can fail if you have all your detail contained within one single bucket though :D LW does not have a bucket rendering solution built in. Yet...

There are a number of workarounds. Don't use Lightwave to render with. Render your object in layers (would be handy if LW had a simple layer rendering system wouldn't it!!!). Manually subdivide your screen into a number of region renders, or use http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/VirtualRender which is quite cool, if a bit expensive!

Running a 64 bit system will help (assuming you are using 64 bit LW) But yes the whole point of having 64 bit LW is not because it's faster, but because it allows you to load ridiculously high poly scenes, so long as you have enough memory installed. By it's nature, LW is actually very efficient at rendering high poly scenes, and can handle a lot without resorting to bucket techniques, but you will hit a wall unless you throw ungodly amounts of ram into your system :)

LW can render ludicrous poly counts by using volumetric 'cheats' like HDinstance, and the new hair will probably be also able to render a ludicrous number of polygons using the same method, but there's a limit on what you can do with this method. Instancing of sections can help (as I mentioned in previous posts) as if it's re-using the same data from several angles, this is saving memory! But yes, I am not using hyperbole when i say I can't do a full station render, I physically can't! :)
    Ok . . .
    Scene:
    5,968,534 polys
    memory 1324.8m
    segment memory at 1200 m

Radiosity @ 3 PLD
    Time elapse: 6mins 9 secs

No image maps used . . .
    I think I will be safe here . . . noway this is going over 6 million polys . .
    I hope . . . . :D
    gp
    48899.jpg
    Haha good good. However remember what I said about image maps... you have none yet..... :) It all adds up in the memory tally! :)

and sweet render time.. just wait till you add something other than a white background, to light it, and something other than diffuse surfaces :D Also.. are all those instances? Or whole seperate objects? Like I said instanced objects can make a difference on memory use!

Sabir.. Erm, I have no idea if I can answer your question till you ask it! :) PM me if you think I can answer it?! :D
    tobian wrote: »
    Haha good good. However remember what I said about image maps... you have none yet..... :) It all adds up in the memory tally! :)

dang i was planning on doing some work on the model this morning
    but Oh Well . . . . !

dude . . it's bright and sunny here were I am . . . :D
    I'll be fine . . . . I can adapt an overcome any situation that befalls me . .
    after all it is only a computer . . .:flippy:
    it's all good . . .
    ** does the happy dance**
    gp