Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• Gareth isbannnedGareth isbannned0 Posts: 0Member
    psycho wrote: »
    OMG please! no! the design is great as it is... minor tweaks and improvements are ok, but please don't mess with the overall design!

but maybe you could add nacelles :flippy:
    The station is a major economic center. During the occupation it serviced everything from freighters from all corners of the universe to the Cardies warships. I understand that it was never meant ot dock anything larger than a Cadassian Galor but in the pilot the Enterprise took up a great deal of room when it was docked at a pylon and it would have restircted the size of ships that could have docked at the other 2 pylons. Being at the edge of the wormhole it would be getting even more traffic than before and, not having any idea of the size of ships that would be just passion through, it would be a good idea to have more than 3 docking ports that could handle very large ships without restricting other ports. It would also deliver passengers and good more quickly to the promenade and been an excuse to upgrade the station's defenses since it never did get much in the way of protection from Starfleet.

I'm not suggesting the mutilation of a station by tacking on pointless extras, this would have made a lot of sense, like the equipment pods on the Nebula-class (fast refitting and a high degree of flexibility).
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    It does make a lot of sense, but for the moment I think gpdesigner has his hands full just modeling what was actually seen on screen. The time for extra developments will come when all the canon details are finished. An interesting idea to bear in mind, though, definitely.
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    **update**
    I dropped in the sensor wells on the outer ring . . . I also put in some of the panels . . . I thought before I went further I would let you all see where I am.

@Gareth Gobulcoque, your ideas would have probably been the next step in the evolution of DS9 sounds like solid advancements given the increased traffic at the station. However Pearse is right, adding that stuff in would be not for this mesh . . . But you know . . . . the sebrus is doing a rendition of DS9 which I could see adding this advancement, try him and see what he says?
    gp
    49014.jpg49015.jpg49016.jpg
    1.jpg 16.6K
    2.jpg 56.6K
    3.jpg 57.1K
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Can't wait till you fill that with greebly goodness :)

Gareth, you watch Zero Punctuation by any chance? ;)
    Melak wrote: »
    Can't wait till you fill that with greebly goodness :)

Gareth, you watch Zero Punctuation by any chance? ;)

Dude, I am trying to figure out how that could be done easily without going poly-wild . . . . my recent render test has made a need for me to cap this sucker at 5 million polys . . . I need to come in under budget bigtime . .
    I think I am going to go into the habitat ring and trim a little fat. anyway thanks for the visit . . stay tuned :D
    gp
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    5 million polly?!?! Dude, it's a monster! :lol:
    You're doing a dammed fine job Gp. Congrats. :)
    Starship wrote: »
    5 million polly?!?! Dude, it's a monster! :lol:
    You're doing a dammed fine job Gp. Congrats. :)

Thanks a bunch Starship . . . .
    when I release this, it's going to be cool to see people having fun with it . . .
    My self, I may do one render . . . and walk away, at best I may have to wait until LW goes 64Bit for Mac. But I feel 64Bit PC is the only way one will be able to render this thing.
    gp
    I just hope I get my CPU in time :D
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work with the ring.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Those last WIP panel update look great, GP! Sounds like it's time for more RAM for you!!
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Sorry to burst your bubble there GP :D

Looking superb, and I am sure you can save polies all over.. it's just about knowing where to compromise! :)
    **update**
    Thanks guys . . . just pluggin along with the ring details now . . .
    I did some poly projections and came up with 4,179.000 poly's complete . . .
    In order to do this the hero section of the docking collar will have to be in effect. with that said I am allowed 160,000 polys per docking ring section (there are 6 of them), and 160,000 poly's per pillion x6 as well.
    So we are good to go . . . . :D
    gp
    49081.jpg49087.jpg
    1.jpg 14.1K
    2.jpg 132.8K
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    Looks awsome mate, but 5 Million polygones means you need to learn some serious optimization techniques here. I can trough you some if you ever need to.

Al.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent new renders, really top notch!
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work gpdesigner:thumb:
    Thanks Pearse and Ice-Dragon, doin' my best . . . . :D
    Al, thanks alot . . . yep, I will definately go through each section before I do textures to see where I can trim the fat. If I need help I will give you a shout . . .
    gp
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    You missed a couple poly's on the inner ring :D
    Nice job, but you're gonna kill your computer if you keep it up :shiner:
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    **update**
    In order to do this the hero section of the docking collar will have to be in effect. with that said I am allowed 160,000 polys per docking ring section (there are 6 of them), and 160,000 poly's per pillion x6 as well.
    gp

u know how u got the first pear that arches out to the next cylnderical area its straight from the center then it spreads out to the outer cylinder.
    **update**
    gp

u know how u got the first pear that arches out to the next cylnderical area its straight from the center then it spreads out to the outer cylinder. like this
    49137.jpg
  • psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    u know how u got the first pear that arches out to the next cylnderical area its straight from the center then it spreads out to the outer cylinder. like this

erm... what?

I must admit I am a bit confused . . . .
    I think I know what you mean . . . . on the schematic you posted, it is labeled
    "Crossover Bridge/Cargo Transfer/Turbolift Corridor" . . .
    What about this section . . . you think I missed it? It's the single largest part of the station don't worry . . . it's covered. :D
    gp
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Thanks a bunch Starship . . . .
    when I release this, it's going to be cool to see people having fun with it . . .
    My self, I may do one render . . . and walk away, at best I may have to wait until LW goes 64Bit for Mac. But I feel 64Bit PC is the only way one will be able to render this thing.
    gp

It will be a nightmare to convert it for 3DS Max, but IA’ll try it, for sure!;)
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    I think Colombista is referring to the main piers, which are much larger than the piers which attach at the points of the weapons sails. However I think that foreshortening and perspective is distorting it: GP hasn't actually modelled the main piers yet. There is a 120 degree difference between each connecting pier, so that means that the alternate piers are missing so far! :D

All in good time I am sure. Good luck on this GP, looks splendid, and I think I could park my station inside yours hahaha :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    tobian wrote: »
    I think Colombista is referring to the main piers, which are much larger than the piers which attach at the points of the weapons sails. However I think that foreshortening and perspective is distorting it: GP hasn't actually modelled the main piers yet. There is a 120 degree difference between each connecting pier, so that means that the alternate piers are missing so far! :D

All in good time I am sure. Good luck on this GP, looks splendid, and I think I could park my station inside yours hahaha :)

And who's gonna pay for the server insurance? :D
    I must admit I am a bit confused . . . .
    I think I know what you mean . . . . on the schematic you posted, it is labeled
    "Crossover Bridge/Cargo Transfer/Turbolift Corridor" . . .
    What about this section . . . you think I missed it? It's the single largest part of the station don't worry . . . it's covered. :D
    gp

no u never misssed it u designed it wrong... its all straight then the next crossover bridge the bigger one curves out and connects to the outer ring.
    no u never misssed it u designed it wrong... its all straight then the next crossover bridge the bigger one curves out and connects to the outer ring.

Look at the images again . . . then look at them some more. . . :D
    It's all good . . . I won't say it's 100% accurate, I could never say that but you have your sections mixed up a bit. look at it again and repost.
    gp
    gah here.....
    49168.jpg49169.jpg
    gah.jpg 31.9K
    bah.jpg 227.7K
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    what?!.........his version looks better!...........I understand critism both good and constructive bad........gpdesigner it looks great keep marching.

colbmista take it easy on the replica legalism.........I have seen alot of that ruin outstanding projects and I really want to see this through
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    It's all good . . .

And that's that!

But seriously people who build popular models should throw a disclaimer in their first post of their thread that covers whether they are going for a "copy" or adaption of the design. To keep the fans at bay. ;)
    Dude I think you are mistaking the strut for the other one...have a look