Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MadKoiFish's Trek Crap :p =-

• Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    Can't wait to see the Ortho on this girl...unlike the last one.
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    ROCCAT-Ryos.jpg
    WTF is with that enter btn, no. Mostly EU versions do this but I have seen it here in the US.

That particular configuration of the enter button works just fine. Why do you see it as an issue?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9831 Posts: 5,332Member
    Other than that one being azerty and probably works for AZERTY users. In qwerty config it is non standard and screws up that whole side of the board. I dislike it and that is that.
    sojourner wrote: »
    A. It's not that kind of rubberized. I've used the keyboard for 3 something years now with no issues of the kind.
    B. Did you check the link? what bezels and bits sticking out??? It's a pretty standard keyboard as far as form factor. The wrist support can even be removed if that's what you're referring to.

Bezel; all that frame that hangs off the sides and top, compare to the boards below and you should be able to see it. It does not matter what sort of rubber it has it will not last. I will never buy anything with "coatings" on because with ME they WILL come off or wear off.

I use my pc much more than most I am on it every day for at least 8 hours min. I use it for work and play. Maybe it is hours of use or the make up of my hand oils but anything that has a coating of any sort comes off or starts to look like $hit after 6 mo. While I do like the scissor style support for its lightness, feedback, and lack of binding (over a shaft style membrane) the frailty of the parts has me moving away from them.

These are the boards I have narrowed things down to, pending a decision on what key type I will go for red, brown, or blue.

Ducky:
    large_196_DK9008S2PURPLEMAIN_1.jpg
    Not this color though. White backlight would be cool but plain laser etched keys would do. This layout is perfect.

Filco:
    filco_tenkeyless_ninja_brown_large.jpg
    side printed keys, bonus. But anything as a full board from them. The far keys are a bit wide vs what I am used to but nothing is altered in layout.

CM:
    cm_storm_launches_the_new_quick_fire_tk_mechanical_gaming_keyboard_1.jpg
    drawback is the key layout, the full board is gamer lighting only for more $$$ and has a poor angle and very thick front (height at the front is very tall vs other boards) Likely will be going for this one since it is 90USD vs 160USD+
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Ok, did it again started modeling without any thought. Dunno what I really want for the bussards but they are killing me this render took forever. I wish there was a decent cheat or faster way to produce these effects. Anyhow I am not to happy with the effect either. I do not even know if I want these vane things either. heh.

Too the annoyance of some I might go for the more TOS like cap but do something else with the guts.

HAH 2fing hours later after a APC going bat**** (f06 error, manual says fused relay so it is toast.) and the utter inability to shut it the **** up. Think high pitch 15Khz whine at about 100db. Ended up yanking the battery out and waiting the 3 min for the caps inside to drain off. UGH. Why a simple button to interrupt the damned squeal is a impossible task for the designer is beyond me. It almost met with a 50lb sledge. This is the 3rd UPS in 9 months to **** on me. Getting damned sick of buying the things. Anyhow that coupled with a hung render and loss of 3 hours work and redoing that work and yet another long ass render.(25min for the close up image)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1116 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,570Member
    This is the board I have... about as frakking basic as you can get and only $7.99, lol.

p72918a.jpg
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=72918

One thing I do like about some gaming keyboards, is that they have additional USB ports on them... I wish standard keyboards had that feature sometimes.
    Went back to the plain glass for now and working up some ideas for guts. Didi some google image searches for ideas inspiration etc and found some images of some sort of fusion device made by a Dr Bussard. . . . lol it instead of making the plasma into a doughnut it looks to nature and how plasma fusion is done naturally which is in a sphere (DUH) so one of his devices is a set of electro magnets in spherical coils surrounding a space. So with that in mind I have been thinking in tapers of 4. Guessing some sort of magnetic force is used to draw the space crap (misc atomic matter, hydrogen being the most common) into the housing through the membrane and into the storage facilities or directly into the reactor. Trek sorta does multiple things here one shows it is used as reactant to the antimatter stream in some sort of thingie in the nacelle itself others show it having storage in the nacelle and transport lines into the ship for use in the fusion cores, matter processors (replicators) and other things. I rather see it in the latter since I suspect the A/M reaction really happens in the core and is used to power the plasma to the nacelles to be expelled or whatevered to the coils in the nacelles. (at this point it seems the coils are large atomic magnets used to form the magnetic bubble and shaped to warp space around and propel the ship. yadda yadda yadda. Anyhow this thought process is where those canisters and other crap in the cowling is suppose to be along with emergency valves for dumping matter (round discs flanking the unit)

ANYHOW

uh the images. . . . not too exciting since it is early brainfarts (read ideas) Hopefully I will produce something vaguely different? dunno. Heh someone might have already made conclusions similar to mine. HAH often the case. I even thought to have huge mechanics inside the dome area instead of the multi layered inlets and wobblewotsits.

Including a close up and distance render since I found what looks nice close often turns to blobby rubbish at distance. And to see how it well goes with the rest of the heap.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work MKF, as always.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, Bussard's Polywell fusion reactor. It's a cool bit of engineering. The U.S. Navy seems to think it's promising as they continue to fund the research.
    MM I read a article where they dropped him for the tokamak. I thought his stuff made a lot of sense but dunno. Personally Id keep both around because these is nothing like competition to move things forward and with things as they are anything is better than nothing and sooner the better. Wont go much further than that can get highly political etc.
  • RekkertRekkert4095 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,309Member
    I like it, very original. The horizontal "spike" that goes through the middle of the Bussard is reminiscent of the spike of the pilot Enterprise's Bussards.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    With the update it's starting to veer away from the Bayformer look. Nice work, MKF! :thumb:
    Cluttered up interior. heh. Going to need to clean it up and rework some of the bits since they once rendered out are way to thin and have poor flow to them once cloned and spun. No cap render took 28min sheesh. I think though both of my netrender boxes are down atm. And of course it is filling a 1080p image with the bussard.

Very different appearance with the caps on.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    MM I read a article where they dropped him for the tokamak. I thought his stuff made a lot of sense but dunno. Personally Id keep both around because these is nothing like competition to move things forward and with things as they are anything is better than nothing and sooner the better. Wont go much further than that can get highly political etc.

No, the Navy is still funding Polywell research. The tokomak is too large/heavy for shipboard use.
    Some alterations and bits changed and upping the effected area of the omni in the dome.
    TOS vs TMP
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    Go for the TMP
  • Rick27Rick270 Posts: 0Member
    i think the TMP fits the design better
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,284Member
    True, since you've already incorporated some of the TMP model's best design elements, the TMP pylons seem like a better fit.
    Everyone probably should know what this part is. Cannot believe how many times I remade this. Lots of stupid mistakes 1 was too low poly other was forgetting smoothing on something so stuff cut all off kilter. Then quite a few round thing and unrounding them cause I did not like the tapers. Still kinda do not. That bracket thing is temp something will replace it later on. Plans are to keep this fairly recognizable.

Struts for now I left them as a hybrid of the 2 and positioned further up the hull, earlier ones were way off. It is fairly unanimous the TMP is preferred. So I will keep that in mind however details might not follow it all the way. I might be retaining details from the original reconnie or adding some new stuff.

MM ah yes, seeing these rendered out I gotta redo the rounding and shorten that flat area in height some then re-reound it. UGH. lol I would have had these cutouts further forward but I am thinking of adding a symmetrical detail just forward of it. Though I guess they coulda gone down the nacelle further.

going to be clearing old attachments soon so heads up.
    Decided I should get to bed so here is where I left off some quickly botched together bits. The base and spheres are early work so are really simple atm. Was a bit worried that the old bits wouldn't go with all the other stuff, but they seem to work really well.

I am looking at this area as stage 1 warp coils forward of where that bracket enters the stream and the coils after that "turbo" bracket are the ompf coils for higher warp. IE f1~5 pre-stage 5+ post stage. Dunno how correct this is but it is how I always saw it before ENT showed up and still sorta see it that way just ENT prestage was probably f1~3 or less.

I think I will be redoing those endcaps, as I am looking at them that frame around them is a bit to stuck on.
    Gonna need a really big wrench for those two bolts! I like the refined tmp struts over the initial ones.
    Think I might be reverting the whole nacelle body and flushing it all to move the cutout forward or aft-ward. Considering junking the entire TOS style inner warp coil arrangement for something else.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,284Member
    Just don't give up on the idea of those interwoven nacelle parts. That's one of the strong points of this version.
    New holes cut rounded etc. Just need to inner rounding and start re-planning the inner parts that go with this. Man this keyboard is going bad fast, l keeps cracking and locking up. fffff gotta swap it out for a old on tomorrow heh, ZZzzzz
  • PATHFINDERPATHFINDER0 Posts: 0Member
    Have you ever thought about working for Cryptic Studios and their Star Trek Online team?
    Thinking and doing are two very different things.

Taking the idea of those vanes and making them more like shutters. Still not too happy with them but I have a few ideas. I doubt though that they will be visible at any distance from the nacelle though. . . . mmmmm Close up I forgot to place those copper tubes but does not really matter since those if kept need to be much thicker than they are now.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    as always, awesome work man.
    Ok paused for a while to get those scene juices flowing since SOTL is on again. Drawing blanks I decided I need to keep rolling on things. I would submit this but I dunno if another rebooted connie is needed.

Not so sure about the sin side effects so I will likely pull some of the materials to cut the glare filter from going ape with it. Probably should not use the filter at all.
    Early poop chute work. Probably have to redo all the lighting effects on it way to over done. Considered working in tractor stuff here but not to sure if I want it all in the same place as the torp tube.

I really do not remember if in the TOS timeframe that they used the torp tubes for probes. Vaguely remember something from TOS or TAS but it has been a while. Not that it matters at all.
    ehh, was happy with it yesterday but now I dunno. Not sure how much work will get done finishing up the gut job on the "tv" room. Moved my workstation yesterday, today it is the tv and all the gear that goes with.
    Anyhow rounded some crap adjusted some bits here and there and added some prongy things. I might just revert things back and try again. Thinking of ways to integrate at least a single torp/probe launcher in the aft. Even reconsidering the round tubes for more rectangular ones. If so that means having to revisit the neck. . . . . . heh.