Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattlestar Valkyrie

• XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    *waits to see latest render................*
  • bagera4000bagera4000251 Posts: 1,516Member
    400 engines counting thrusters
    *looks at bagera in stunned disbelief*

what the?

how could you possibly have had the patience to sit and count all those?
    you going to count her point defense batteries next???
  • Infinity238Infinity2380 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry that it took so long for an update. I had a term paper due at uni, and I just bought a PS3... so yeh.
    valkyrie54xb8.jpg
    *drools on his keyboard yet again*

oh gods.........................
    *has no words for the level of detail.*
    topside starboard engine has thruster jets uselessly aimed into the exact opposite set, may I suggest a patch job?
    can I get a topside and a portside dead on perspective with the guns shown? a friend and myself are gonna be updating an existing 2d bitmap version, and we need a pair of shots at the top and side angles.

the preferred screenshot format is png, and thankyou.
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good, but that structure around the engines looks totally ridiculous. By the way, is there any particular reason you're making such a low-poly model?
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    The rollbar thing does look a bit silly, but it was shown onscreen, so it makes sense to model it, but add some extra details.
    easy, JDR, he always gives us the good stuff after he fleshes out the model to a better extent than at present.

the good stuff will come.............
  • ElffinElffin171 Posts: 0Member
    Thats a nice revision Infinity...

Do your new screencaps show viper launchtubes?

Won't join in the rollbar debate though!
  • DarthMcWordDarthMcWord0 Posts: 0Member
    I just bought a PS3... so yeh.

*cough* Xbox 360 *cough*

Anyway, nice stuff there (render, not PS3).
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    I swear....you people act as if these models/ screenshots are more than make-believe. I know people in military intelligence and defense contractors like Raytheon that are more open about things than you are.

That being said, these models you "may or may not" have access to, what's the deal? Are we mere lay mortals going to have access to this stuff eventually? Surely that's something you can tell us.

The model does look nice as well. I prefer the one without the roll-bar if my opinion matters at all.
    Well, sometimes people are given renders to look at by their pals in the industry who understandably don't want their pals passing said renders around.

As to why the Valkyrie is so secret, well, officially its probably not a big deal, but hell, people get shown renders by their industry pals or whatever and there's an unspoken knowledge that they are not to be shared with the public.

Anyway, from what I can see and from what I know, this Valkyrie at least in general shape is a lot closer than the earlier versions we've seen on SFM. Though that hoop over the engines puzzles me.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I still think that was just a peice of gantry for working on the ship in dry dock.
    Whatever it is, it has GOT to GO! Really retarded looking with that hoop.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    biotech wrote: »
    I still think that was just a peice of gantry for working on the ship in dry dock.

It could be, but it doesn't match any of the architecture of station. Then again it doesn't match the Valkyrie's chunky design much either. Still, it's worth at least modeling it for the sake of completeness. Then whether it's attached in renders or not is up to whoever uses it.
    JDR wrote: »
    Well, sometimes people are given renders to look at by their pals in the industry who understandably don't want their pals passing said renders around.

As to why the Valkyrie is so secret, well, officially its probably not a big deal, but hell, people get shown renders by their industry pals or whatever and there's an unspoken knowledge that they are not to be shared with the public.

Anyway, from what I can see and from what I know, this Valkyrie at least in general shape is a lot closer than the earlier versions we've seen on SFM. Though that hoop over the engines puzzles me.

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining that. I forgot about the obligatory and clique-ish "buddy system". Can't have pictures of make-believe spaceships floating around the internet. ;)

Not that it matters to me. I'm not a modeler so I don't NEED to see them, but it'd still be cool to see some clear renders of some of these ships.
  • backsteptbackstept2092 Posts: 930Member
    Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining that. I forgot about the obligatory and clique-ish "buddy system". Can't have pictures of make-believe spaceships floating around the internet. ;)

Not that it matters to me. I'm not a modeler so I don't NEED to see them, but it'd still be cool to see some clear renders of some of these ships.
    it's not that they're make-believe spaceships
    it's the fact that the work done on the ships wasn't done for free, and hasn't been shown on TV yet, and still bound by NDA
    well, at least this lively debate is serving a purpose.

namely to clear up the NDA part, among other reasons.

debates are always a good thing, they force people to think, which, is something I've observed less and less in some areas, whether or not this is true elsewhere is a matter of location and opinion.

personally, while I too think the hoop piece looks out of place, however this debate on it gets settled doesnt matter to me, I'll still like this ship either way.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    I remain impressed at how close Tim is getting to the actual model. Nice work
    Just to put alot of minds at easy (hopfully for the last time) The roll bar is removable. I just dont for the sake of not having to render the same ship twice. On closer inspection there also seems to be a 3rd Valkyrie moored across from Pegasus which dosn't have the roll bar.
    backstept wrote: »
    it's not that they're make-believe spaceships
    it's the fact that the work done on the ships wasn't done for free, and hasn't been shown on TV yet, and still bound by NDA

I understand what a NDA is, and I understand that entails keeping the models secret (except for your buddies who do similar work) but it seems counter-intuitive to keep these things secret when they were created explicitly to be shown to millions of people.

But, like I said, I'm not in the business so what do I know right? Now, if you need a house raided and specific individuals to disappear into the hands of guys who work for the Agency, I'm your man. ;)
    this is the 2d version a friend of mine is working, I contributed a little to this updated version:

stealthstargereoi5.png

yes, I know its a 2d image in a 3d thread, but, since it directly relates to the thread topic, I felt I could post it.
    Always welcome, seeing as this has become the unoffical Valkyrie topic of Scifi-Meshes.
  • Free-LanceFree-Lance0 Posts: 0Member
    swear....you people act as if these models/ screenshots are more than make-believe. I know people in military intelligence and defense contractors like Raytheon that are more open about things than you are.

That being said, these models you "may or may not" have access to, what's the deal? Are we mere lay mortals going to have access to this stuff eventually? Surely that's something you can tell us.

The model does look nice as well. I prefer the one without the roll-bar if my opinion matters at all.

It's not the fact that is MODELING for the function realty or fiction, the the fact that most people here developed a "Walk about" as they say in Australia.
    It's the ability to enjoy, the work in progress to completion and we all get to take the journey with the concept artiest and modelers!

My personal favorts are Infinity of course EliteWolverine , Whitestar, Justin Dixon, Backstept and Conrade, and maybe Punchface, ( he pulled his work on BSG so no soup for him) because they all bring something to the table that pushes it to the limits, and enhances the enjoyment of the current entertainment value.

So yes if people get excited it's about the opportunity to walk along and offer suggestions to these brilliant artiest!:thumb:
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    That and of course, any model you make of existing work is really a "homage" and what better way to ruin or denature a homage by modfying it from the original design?

I know that's not the case here, but to a lot of rabid fans, it would be as if you walked up to a star wars fan and said "Luke Skywalker, isnt he captain of the Enterprise?"
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    You mean he isn't? :)
    ^Oh no! My whole world just came crashing down! :D

BTW, the Valkyrie is far too small to have launch tubes like you've put in the schematic. And still has the wrong number of engine pods :flippy: Though frankly I think 6 would have looked better than 4 anyway. Of course, all these problems would be solved if you came up with your own name for this battlestar, so it'd end up being of a similar style to the Valk but of a size more in keeping with what a battlestar ought to be. (1 - 1.5km range)
    if you mean the oversized tubes, they are indeed pushing things, I however like what the artist did with them, as for the standard tubes, they are fine.

and this is a 2d drawing, drawn as close to scale and as accurate as possible, but, there are always errors in even 3d meshes, the key to hiding them is to make them accent the model's looks, not always an easy thing to pull off.

moment I have an update, I'll post it here.

p.s. the artist is Wolff 6.0 of wolfsshipyards, if anyone wants to take a look, just google wolfsshipyards, and it should be the first result.