Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBSG Vipers

• LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow... looks really good man, this would really take your work from cool to impressive:thumb:

I hope you have more to show soon!
  • SanjurjoSanjurjo0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, B.J, god beginnings in the used-up look, looks nice so far. :)
  • JoeRalatJoeRalat176 Posts: 486Member
    Good start.. I found that gradient mesh has been a big help to make texture.
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Joe, there have been many times I would have loved to use a gradient mesh. Unfortunately, that's not a feature in Corel Draw 8, but it is in later versions. I may upgrade someday, but I can't justify the cost right now.
  • JoeRalatJoeRalat176 Posts: 486Member
    I have to try corel Draw... I have paint and its not bad..
    Not really an update (sorry!), but I had to share these. One guy who's in the Air Force (or at least the Guard) and works with F-16 pilots saw my cartoon. After getting my permission, he painted the cartoon on the back of his bomber jacket, and also worked with another of his buddies to create a patch for the pilots. This isn't an official patch, but one they can put on their flight bags. He sent me one a couple of weeks ago, and it's very cool to be able to hold one of your designs in your hands! :cool:
    bsgviperjacketgz5.th.jpgsemperviperhc4.th.jpg
    BTW, I'm not giving out his information because these are not available to anyone else.
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    Semper...VIPERI
    Was that a question or a statement?

From the artwork he sent me, that's supposed to be "Semper VIPER!". An exclamation point, not an "I". Yeah, it's not the best quality patch ever, but it's still cool to have something physical!
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    That's fantastic BJ!!

Can you imagine that picture showing up on the nose of a bomber like they used to do back in WWI & II?
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    B.J. wrote: »
    Was that a question or a statement?

From the artwork he sent me, that's supposed to be "Semper VIPER!". An exclamation point, not an "I". Yeah, it's not the best quality patch ever, but it's still cool to have something physical!

Affirmation.

And who says that was a mistake? :thumb:
    The beginnings of Mk II version 2!
    vipermk201rx9.png
    Seriously, compare this to the Mk II in the first post of this thread. I'm lovin' the way this is turning out, but I'm really apprehensive about doing the exposed equipment and engines - those are going to kick my butt!

This was all done in GIMP. The only things limiting me really are file size and memory, and this file uses a *lot* of both.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    That is frakking sweet, BJ, keep it up!
  • SanjurjoSanjurjo0 Posts: 0Member
    That's awesome Bj, you creation for "real". Yummi... some F-16s with that noseart :D
    Nice start with this new version, if the other were nice, this would rock even more, i supose. :)
    Sweet stuf man:thumb:
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work BJ, looks very 3d like...:thumb:
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a fantastic do-over. Congrats in getting your patches in print! Quite an honour and an achievment!
  • backsteptbackstept2080 Posts: 928Member
    wow that looks fantastic :thumb:
    Did a bit more during my lunch break. I'm not sure my home computer can handle the file much longer!
    vipermk202hb3.png

BTW, does anyone know what the signage actually says? Before, I just put in random text since the final product wasn't going to be that big, but I'm working with a rather high resolution this time, and this is something I might actually want to print.
    That guy who has the battlestar Galactica Vipers Thread, obviously knows a thing or two about aircraft details... maybe ask him, I wouldn't be suprised if the markings where taken off of an real aircraft...

Just a thought, and Dude this is going to look awsome when finished... have you considered selling prints of this one, I know it's probably going to be hard with copyrights and all... but I'd love to have a print of this one!

EDIT: This one http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/2651-battlestar-galactica-vipers.html
    Here's what the one under the exposed engine panel says. I'll try to find out the others later this evening.

ALL POWER
    AND FUEL CONNECTIONS
    ARE TO BE DISCONNECTED
    BEFORE ACCESSING PANEL

There might be another word after power, I'll check again.
    EDIT: This is awesome so far, I can't wait to see it finished. BTW, the Beware of Blast signage is white text on red.
    Nevermind, there isn't anything after power in the first line.
    Talos wrote: »
    Here's what the one under the exposed engine panel says. I'll try to find out the others later this evening.

ALL POWER
    AND FUEL CONNECTIONS
    ARE TO BE DISCONNECTED
    BEFORE ACCESSING PANEL
    Thanks! BTW, I got an excellent reference from al3d showing all the markings. The others are:

CAUTION
    DO NOT STAND IN FRONT OF CANNONS
    CANNON LOCKS TO BE
    INSERTED BEFORE ACCESSING
    ORDNANCE PANEL

AVIONICS
    SERVICE PANEL
    ALL POWER MAINS TO BE
    DISCONNECTED BEFORE ACCESSING PANEL

And that triangle symbol behind the cockpit has "EMERGENCY EJECTION POD" in the middle, with "DANGER" on each of the three sides.

Funny thing - "ORDNANCE" is misspelled as "ORDINANCE" on the actual model. A law is an ordinance, but a gun is a piece of ordnance. :lol:
    Talos wrote: »
    BTW, the Beware of Blast signage is white text on red.
    :doh:
    That's good to hear.

I'd found out most of the cannon one, but it's nice to know what they all are.

What, don't your guns shoot copies of laws at people? :p
    That's actually scarier than bullets! :lol:
  • SKUPILKINSONSKUPILKINSON0 Posts: 0Member
    New member and late comer to this thread. Love the Genral Lee dude! Nice touch.

I like your avatar too B.J
    Update:
    vipermk204sb6.png
  • JuanskiJuanski331 Posts: 30Member
    BJ,
    I have been a big fan of yours since I saw your drawings here.
    I know that you have alot of stuff going on but I was wondering if you might get around to doing a drawing of the new Viper that they showed on the last episode of BSG.

_ Juanski.
    ^You mean the Blackbird Juan?..:confused:

Nice work on the Mrk2 BJ, its coming along sweet!..:thumb:
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    No the episode that was on Friday. I believe it was the 'SpyStar' or something similar.
    ^Ah, right... So all we need now is for BJ to produce a set of high detail orthographical views of a ship we saw last friday for maybe 3 seconds. Sounds like a challenge to me...:confused: Heres a couple of screen caps if you`re interested BJ. Never know, miracles could happen.:flippy:
    Good work on the Viper BJ, it looks frakking sweet!