Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBSG Vipers

B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I thought I'd finally get around to reposting my full family of Vipers that I started a while back. I put this in the WIP section because I'm still planning on creating some more, just as soon as I can find and unpack my computer!
83784.png
Post edited by B.J. on

• B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Some more, including the Mk II cartoon and the DeSanto version.
    These are my versions of Maui Williams' "Fatboy" MkIb Viper, done with permission of course.
    And finally, the Scarlett Vipers from Richard Hatch's proposed new series, and the original proposed design for the Viper, later reused for Buck Rogers!
  • AinurAinur1 Posts: 0Member
    Hehe. I like The General Lee. Adds a nice bit of Southern hospitality to the coldness of space. :)

Nice work on the Vipers. They are very well done!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Agree, they're a nice thing...
  • quetzalquetzal0 Posts: 0Member
    those vipers look awsome, keep up the good work. will you be doing more vipers from other battlestars like the Pacifica, Cerberus, Prometheus, etc.:thumb:
  • SarvekSarvek0 Posts: 0Member
    Great to see the Vipers are back!:thumb: The Buck Rogers starfighter is also good to see!
  • GilmourGilmour0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful stuff, you've made my day with the General Lee.:lol:
  • lampshadeheadlampshadehead0 Posts: 0Member
    Really cool! Very creative and clean
    Update! Last night I was finally able to get to the computer since we're nearly done unpacking. I recreated the side view of Larsen's Viper from his Galactica reboot project. (Where is that now, Larsen?) I'm not sure if I'm going to include all the panel lines in the final or not, but I do hope to do a top view as well.
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    WOW... awsome mate:thumb:

Like I said in the PM... It'd be an honor to be a part of the BJ Viper collection:thumb:

Sweet work mate... I'd love to see this poppy in the classic BSG coloscheme, tho never my intention of using it, it would be a kick to see:D

Rock on:thumb:
  • Prime_8Prime_80 Posts: 0Member
    wow enough paint diversity for the 12 colonies

sweet .
    Of course I intend to put the classic colors on it, but for some reason this version wanted out of my head! :D If I remember right, it's kinda based on a Czech MiG-29 scheme I've seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Nice colour scheme on the "Big Boy" B.J. :D
  • Jonny BoyJonny Boy1 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, really nice work B.J. What program are you using?
    Thanks! And I use Corel Draw for this, just like it says under my name!
    Sorry for the thread highjack B.J.:

Larsen:

you said you wanted to see you puppy in some sort of traditional colours:

Enjoy :)
    He he... Thanx choo:thumb:

So BJ could one ask how you do this stuff... do you take a render of the object and just draw over it?... I'm really amazed how accurate your stuff looks, and antialiased for that matter:D... Mine allways gets so jagged for some reason...

Anyway... you're doing some awsome work here mate, I would have thought the models would loose some of the quality from 3d to 2d... but they don't... actually I like my viper even more in 2d than 3d:o :p :thumb:

Rock on!
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    I'd guess B.J is using vectors, where a lot of people try to do this stuff in Photoshop- as good as it is, it falls flat on its arse for this sort of thing unless you've got a *lot* of time to play. Illustrator gives better results at a more accessible time/learning level, but its just as pricey... Paint Shop Pro and Corel Draw are competent Vector-capable applications. :)

B.J: It's very nice work- my personal favourite so far is the Russian Marine Camo style paint job- always liked that. Can I ask what font you used for the nosecone numbering? I've been searching for one like that, but its hard to know where to start after the obvious options turn up dry. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Thanks guys! You got it in one, Larsen - I do take the image and draw over it. It gives me a lot of flexibility in the long run, and once it's vectorized, I can rescale it to any size. As for the antialiasing, the version of Corel Draw I use doesn't do that very well, so I usually export it as twice the final size then shrink it down using GIMP or Irfanview.

Samurai - I've been using the Amarillo USAF font for those numbers. The font doesn't have the outline, so I have to add that in myself. I know it's not 100% accurate for Russian, etc. aircraft, but it's close enough for me.
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    Great collection BJ, I like the Hatch version alot, I really dig the higher gun placement, tho Larsen's is cool as well . . looks like the Viper is puffed up on steroids . . nice stuff.
    BSG rocks . . . . .
    gp
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    nicely done mate..i love the different paint schemes..:)....they look awsome
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Thanks for the info B.J :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    This makes me want to get Illustrator...

Great work, man! I never knew a Viper could look so good! (Who designed Larsen's Phatboy 2.0?)

-albert
    Yeah Thanx BJ:thumb:
    Berticus wrote:
    This makes me want to get Illustrator...

Yeah same here:D
    Berticus wrote:
    Great work, man! I never knew a Viper could look so good!

Well they do:D... when designed right:thumb:
    Berticus wrote:
    (Who designed Larsen's Phatboy 2.0?)

Firstly... it's not a fatboy, that's Obi's term! It's a BSGR Viper... or REVISED Viper!

Secondly... Who do you think designed it... when the credits say "Design by Larsen":D
    B.J. wrote:
    And finally, the Scarlett Vipers from Richard Hatch's proposed new series, and the original proposed design for the Viper, later reused for Buck Rogers!
    I can tell you (as Richard Hatch and Tom DeSanto are friends of mine) that they're impressed and amazed at the passion which fans like yourself (and others) continue to demonstrate for their past BSG efforts. I've passed along your drawings to them both.

On a personal note: You did a phenomenal job. (They're gorgeous illustrations!) re: Larsen's Viper - I swear that looks like a pseudo P-47 Thunderbolt aircraft merged with a classic Colonial Viper design. Ugly, imho, but functional. ;)

Michael
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    Hehe, nice to see you got`em back mate. Don`t believe I saw that work on the "Scarlet" and "Buck Rogers Starfighter", they look sweet.:thumb: Nice work on Larsens BSGR too man. :flippy:
    mfaries wrote:
    I can tell you (as Richard Hatch and Tom DeSanto are friends of mine) that they're impressed and amazed at the passion which fans like yourself (and others) continue to demonstrate for their past BSG efforts. I've passed along your drawings to them both.
    Wow. Thanks! I'm not holding my breath for anything, but thanks nonetheless!

Anyway, got some more work done last night on the Larsen Viper before I have to fly out for a few days of training. I wasn't expecting to finish anything, but I did complete a new side view! I also included a size comparison with the MkII, just to show what a monster this is! According to Larsen, he modeled it at about 13m long, and the MkII is 8.41m long. (I'm personally calling this a Heavy Assault Viper!)
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, nice work on the classic paint job. It sure is a big bitch when compared side by side with the Mrk2. But Larsen likes`em big...:D
    WOW... dude, that looks awsome:thumb:

You make me wanna finish this poppy:D... hell you even made me wanna do it with the org paintscheme:D

EDIT: he he... just noticed the callsign on the side there:D... What's it say?

Sweet job:thumb: