Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBSG Vipers

• BJ,

I'm glad that everything worked out for your daughter and your family. My continued support for all of you.

The Mk III looks very good. There was something familiar about the front view that took me a while to put my finger on, but I think that I finally got it. It looks a lot like the front of a F-22 Raptor. I applaude the fact that you used underwing intakes.

Keep up the great work. :thumb:
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it. It is reminisant of the raptor from the front. Will you do the bottom view?..
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice!

I agree that the underwing intakes make this refreshingly unique. Yet it keeps enough cues from the original Vipers(mostly the Mark VII) to fit right in.

Add this to the Fatboy and Larson's Viper and consider them next generation, so to speak. I'm sure Talos would do up a history for them.

Glad to hear things are at least headed in the right direction for your daughter!
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Glad to here about your daughter, BJ.

Very nice pic. Its very unique, especially the blended wing/fuselage. I love the intakes, very Raptor-esque.
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    I kinda see them like this.
    (Disclaimer: These are not the actual names, nor scales for these fine ships)

The Future of the Viper.
    Heavy fighter- Boa
    Medium Fighter- Cobra
    Light Fighter- Sidewinder.

Now that's a handsome family pic.:D

Please excuse me for taking liberties, but I had to see them all together. Now need a new Battlestar for them.
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys! Raptor - he he. :D I was actually using the Super Hornet as partial inspiration due to the fact that its inlets are positioned under the LEX, similar to this. (And I'm quite familiar with the Super Hornet since I designed some of its structure!)

As for a bottom view, I might, but that would also mean I'd have to work out some landing gear for it! eep!

Nice combo pic there, Safe! You've got mine and Larsen's close to scale together, but I think Maui's (aka Darth Malice) is actually shorter. Last time I asked him about it he hadn't worked out a particular scale, but thinks it's around 6 or 7 meters long. I'd have to look at it myself to see if that would work.
    Yeah 7 meters, give or take a meter. I guess it would be the smallest of the group...:confused:

I like the class names you came up with though Safe. I`ll be the Sidewinder since its smallest, fastest and most deadly.:devil:

Larsens looks the best, but it sure is a fat bitch. His can be the Boa....:lol:
    Yeah BJ, those trapizoid inlets do look like the ones on that blasted Super Bug. :D (Tomcat fan).
  • Safe@2nd wrote: »
    Now that's a handsome family pic.:D

Sure is :D

Great work BJ and Safe :thumb: Although your missing two...:p

Also good to hear your daughters a-okay BJ. :D
    Safe@2nd wrote: »
    Please excuse me for taking liberties, but I had to see them all together. Now need a new Battlestar for them.

:p ;)

again: Great work guys :thumb:
  • quetzalquetzal0 Posts: 0Member
    hey

have you thought of painting the original viper with the marking of the new MK II viper ?? It would be beautiful to see.

just a thought.:thumb:
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow I cant belive ive missed this thread! Awesome work. Some of the stuff in here is truly spectacular!

That said a few perspective views of the various Vipers would make for some spunking material :p

Again, awesome work, looking forward to seeing more! :)

*Hits subscribe to thead button* FIRST TIME EVER BABY! :p
    Spry wrote: »
    That said a few perspective views of the various Vipers would make for some spunking material :p
    Nice thought Spry. I guess changing paint schemes would be difficult though. You could probably bluff your way as best you can though BJ?
    Thanks Spry! But unless someone wants to retexture their mesh, I don't think we'll be seeing any perspective shots. As for anything else, we'll have to see. :D

Anyway, I've started on another one of my concepts. I thought the Blackbird stealth ship that we saw in BSG was okay, but it never set right with me. So I've done up what I think a BSG stealth Viper should look like. It's faceted like the F(sic)-117 and not smooth like current stealth aircraft because this would need to be an all-aspect stealth ship (3D space, right?), and current aircraft are really optimized for their mostly 2D environment. The inlets are also covered with a mesh (not shown yet, similar to F(sic)-117) to protect the engine face from DRADIS scans, since the inlets on Vipers are not nearly long enough for a serpentine inlet. I also took some design cues from the F-22, the Boeing Bird of Prey, and the Super Hornet. Obviously I've only got the initial shape down, and I need to start shading and detailing next, although there shouldn't be too many more details since it's a stealth ship!
    viperstealth01vc8.th.png
    So what do you think I should call her? I was thinking something like "Shadow Viper" or "Phantom".
    BTW, this stealth Viper was easy to draw, but it's going to be a pain to shade since I can't use a nice smooth blend on this!
    Very, very cool, awesome work BJ! I love the down-turned wingtips.

How about the Black Mamba? That's all I can think of now, it's too bloody late, I need sleep. :lol:
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    Im loving this work. It really is awesome. Obviously this is all vector based, I havent read the entire thread but I assume your using Illiustrator or something very similar. I was wondering, you seem to have many admirers, do you have any tips for anyone who would be interested in getting into this kind of drawing and illistration, myself included. ;)

Thanks. Again, awesome work, I look forward to seeing more :).
    Spry wrote: »
    Im loving this work. It really is awesome. Obviously this is all vector based, I havent read the entire thread but I assume your using Illiustrator or something very similar. I was wondering, you seem to have many admirers, do you have any tips for anyone who would be interested in getting into this kind of drawing and illistration, myself included.

Thanks! I'm using an older version of Corel Draw (version 8), but there are plenty of options out there, including the free program Inkscape.

I'm not an expert by far (and there are plenty of other excellent vector artists on this board), but I'll try to help. Here's a quick list of what I think are the major points:
    • Bezier curves - master using these and you can draw any shape
    • Gradients - Basic fills are easy, but gradients will give you a nice 3D look
    • Layers - It's just easier to organize things this way
    • Transparency - As another way of implying 3D, I've been using a copy of my object to shade filled in with black and then a transparency applied to it. (Got this one from Aethernaut. :D ) If you have multiple objects on a shape that you want to shade the same (like panel lines, markings, etc.), this is the best way to keep it consistent. You can also use a white layer for highlights.
    That should help you get started, but let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll try to help. BTW, there's also an excellent vector tutorial over at Ex Astris Scientia: Ex Astris Scientia - Technical Support
    In order to help myself shade the drawing, I built a basic model in Sketchup. This one is pretty easy since it's all faceted. Of course, now I'm just having fun rotating the thing around! :D
    viperstealth02yj4.th.png
    Frakking awesom BJ, that is sweet!
    Yeah I quite like it. Has elements of both the Black Bird and Vipers, cool.:thumb:

I remember Corel back when it was young. Before fancy things like the 3d extrusion tool came on the scene. It was the first graphics package I ever learned. Very powerful even way back then. The shading tools were sweet. I love vectors...:flippy:
    Just thought I'd crank out a few things I've had on the back burner for a while. The first two are a couple of versions of a request I've had occasionally, which is the MkII in a Trek theme. The last is the original Viper with markings more in line with the MkII. It's actually kind of subtle what the differences are, unless you're looking at both side-by-side.

In case you're curious, the name plates on the Trek Vipers are Lt Matt Decker - "Cyborg" and Lt. Worf - "Scarlet". :D
    I like those trek vipers. The connies my favorite...
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    M.....M.....My dream........it's....been....realized *faints*
  • Your designs are awesome!!! Are you going to do a mark VII??
  • in BSG season 2.5 in the episode "Captains Hand" there is a background of a MK VII with glod stripes on the wings... looks cool... i'd love to see a MK VII in MK II style stripes
  • niraa67niraa67331 Posts: 17Member
    I wound too:D
  • quetzalquetzal0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks buddy

I love the old school viper with the new paint job, looks great.

Quetzal
    These are sweet, man! Good job. :thumb:

You know what would be cool, a Viper in X-wing colors. Hmm, 1138NC. :D
    Just something I did fairly quickly for the TrekBBS Art forum's September challenge:
    lcarsviper1lx5.th.png
    BTW, when did I change from "SFM Guru" to "SFM n00b"?!? When do I get back to Guru?