Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    :) yeah read that about Transformers, 72 hours (ouch), this was more so on the sequence with Devastator on the pyramid (but wow!).

Oooh Octacores, very nice! My home machine died on me last month, so having to lug my work machine home all the time :( until my new machine turns up :)

Looking forward to some sweet animations with them Octacores! :)
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    I like to really be able to feel the benefit of upgrades, which is why I've waited a couple of years to do it. But I got a chance to test an 8-core Nehalem not long ago and decided it was time to take the plunge. It'll really be nice to see these little 5 and 10 minute renders pop out in a few seconds.

_Mike
    a few seconds you say... Bah... I'm almost tempted to put my kitchen on hold, but alas I cant; so will have to slum it with quad cores (for now :P) :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    How many times do you need to redo legacy before youre satisfied? im guessing in the hundreds :lol:)
  • PhaserPhaser0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the wireframe, Mike!!

I've never used Maya, so I'm not familiar with the brush of which you speak. I use Pro/E for my job, and have been messing around with 3DS Max off and on over the last couple years.
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    @ mverta:

What are the new tools you speak of that have improved your renders Mike ? ... Obviously Maxwell's been updated ... but what's made the difference for YOU ? ... I don't have Maxwell, .. just interested ...
    Wiz wrote: »
    I'm almost tempted to put my kitchen on hold, but alas I cant

@ Wiz:

Yeah, It's called the >> WIFE :D ..... A life of HELL so you can have your shorter renders times, .. versus .. Peace & Quiet with your quad cores ... Btw, get on with 3PO, .. Slacker :p ..

Jas
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    May I ask is this direct view art version from movie your doing or your own skeem?
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wait that isn't a physical model !? Seriously, if it wasn't for the "3D" part of the forums and the background one could easily confuse this with the real thing. Amazing job mverta ! :thumb: words cannot describe how awesome this is ! Can't wait to see an animation ! (you can use it to replace the artoo from the movies and I'm sure no one would notice)
    ^they would wonder why the hell artoo looks so much better now! :D
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    when Lucas ever brings out Star Wars on Blue Ray he shlould overwork the movies and use your R2 in them ... :thumb:

Your amazing work on R2 let me think about to finish my R2 D2 too :D

Greets

Chris :)
    you know you have to Chris, so get on it :)

As for my 3PO, not had much chance, plus redid the head and still not happy with it, the chin and jaw are a pain in the but to get looking right... (well for me anyhoo).

Like the sound of the Blu-Ray release having Mike's Artoo, would even fork out (again) for another copy of Starwars if they did :)
    Thanks for the comments, guys. This R2's textures are a combination of textures from 3 original R2s. The body is from one, the legs are from a second, and the middle leg/foot is from a third. The originals went through this sort of re-configuration many times, switching things around, so it's possible they were once all together like mine, but I chose to do it this way because I just liked the look of each of those elements.

I will definitely be doing some animations - even short tests if need be - because you can't really tell everything about a material from a static shot; you need to see it interact with light a bit!

_Mike
    HA HA ... this I call patchwork ... :runs:

:thumb:

mverta wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, guys. This R2's textures are a combination of textures from 3 original R2s. The body is from one, the legs are from a second, and the middle leg/foot is from a third. The originals went through this sort of re-configuration many times, switching things around, so it's possible they were once all together like mine, but I chose to do it this way because I just liked the look of each of those elements.

I will definitely be doing some animations - even short tests if need be - because you can't really tell everything about a material from a static shot; you need to see it interact with light a bit!

_Mike
    ChrisGFX wrote: »
    HA HA ... this I call patchwork ... :runs:

:thumb:

I think he's allowed....tho if i recall on YOUR artoo....:p
    yep :cool:
    I think he's allowed....tho if i recall on YOUR artoo....:p
    Hey Mike, did you ever finish the corridor? If so are you planning on any shots of Artoo in there?
    I did finish it... I have to break that out again...

_Mike
    Cool, look forward to seeing the two combined! :)
    I haven't been able to update this because I am using Maxwell 2.0 and we weren't showing a lot of its features yet. Plus, things about the engine were still in flux.

This latest update is just on the aluminum and the blue paint, both rebuilt. I'm in the process of finalizing all the conversions to the new version now.

R2_Anim_Test2b.0087.jpg

_Mike
    WOW ... thats a great peace of work. I'm not sure about the blue color, its looking a bit too shiny IMHO ... but the Alu looks superb!

Chris
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    That looks like a photograph of a section of the actual prop. Wow.
    Thanks. In truth, there's a lot of stuff I want to re-do. See, that's the thing about R2: he's never finished. You just take breaks from him.

_Mike
    How did I miss this new post, been so busy in work!

The metal looks excellent Mike, and the blue paint is really coming on, it such a pain in the ass to get right, struggling like hell in MR to come even close...

On a break, lol, yeah know what you mean, I get a load of grief at the office over Artoo never being finished. They just don't understand! :)
    R2_2010_1.jpg

Finally got to finish updating him for Maxwell v2.0!

I'll post some more shots soon.

_Mike
  • nova1701dmsnova1701dms331 Posts: 0Member
    Great looking! R2 has always been a favorite since the beginning. Love the detail. Can't wait to see more.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Beautiful Mike. Thanks for sharing!

Any chance of a high resolution widescreen render? 1680x1050 - 1920x1200 or similar? I'd love to use a pic of the little guy on my desktop. :thumb:
    Sure, I can do a desktop. You know, the thing about R2 is that he looks so vastly different under different lighting, that sometimes it's hard to pick the best angle/scenario for a hero render. His deep blue here becomes an electric, nearly neon thing in direct, hot light, and his seemingly matte body appearance is actually carpaint shiny, if you just change light sources. So let me play just a bit to find something that's more than this last render, which is just a quick one-off with an .hdri and no post work.

_Mike
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    now all you need is a little guy to stuff inside it, then forget he's in there in the baking desert heat and go to lunch...
    I've often thought of doing a Kenny Baker version, with the foot cut-outs and dryer hose. Total inside joke, though; don't think most people would get it or care.

_Mike
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice Mike