Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    Can't elaborate, sorry. :)

_Mike
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Nice shot with R2 there, care to post any more? :p
    Yeah, soon.. working on the body paint. It's not right and looks really screwed in that render, actually.

_Mike
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow ... cool making of :)

when do you start with the 1:1 X-Wing? :runs:

Chris :)
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Think you'll find that Mike's already done that Chris :cool: ....

Jas

*EDIT* .. Tweaked it a bit more ...

mikesfullscalexwingedit.th.jpg
    LOL! You should post this in the funny pics gallery :D
    Nice photoshop work, how long did that take you?
    Binkerman wrote: »
    Think you'll find that Mike's already done that Chris :cool: ....

Jas

mikesfullscalexwing.th.jpg
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    wow, your r2 (the real one) looks really amazing, just like the original.
    LOL! You should post this in the funny pics gallery :D
    Nice photoshop work, how long did that take you?

Heh .. I just updated that pic .. worked on it a bit more, the comp is much better ... All up about 30 mins to do it ... Hope Mike takes it the right way, ;) ...

Just a bit of fun Mike :p ... Look forward to updates ...

Jas
    HA! Love it!!

:lol:

_Mike
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    Lol :D
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Mike,

Good to see you back, and here I am again at the altar of Mike's Artoo and drooling! (at both of them :P) :)
    R2_2009_2.jpg

Coupla little things still bugging me.

One thing I did though is take new photos of my real dome in a reflection-less environment, with a polarizing filter on, to extract new textures for the dome itself.

Real_Dome.jpg

Oh hey, Wiz: Man your R2's come a long way!! Nice work there!

_Mike
    I don't know, you probably knowwhat you are doing, but this last picture does not look as realistic as usual. It might be this straight thin specularity on the dome and the highlight on the blue part, does not look very natural. I mean, it's great, but compared to your older renders, it does not look as good
    That's the anisotropic highlight. All brushed aluminum surfaces have three components: 1) The anisotropic reflection created by microgrooves on the surface; the direction of the "stretched highlight" is perpendicular to the direction of the grooves. 2) An isotropic, "base" reflection, usually about 2.5-3x the roughness of the surface grooves, and 3) Surface crap: i.e, dust, grease, etc. How bright and sharp the anisotropic highlight will be depends on how shiny and clean the surface is.

For example, here's a really shiny, real dome:

QuickDirty2.png

So there it's really pronounced and sharp. With a slightly rougher surface, the highlight will spread and get slightly dimmer. It's also dependent on the size of the light source, obviously, since it's just a reflection.

QuickDirty.jpg

R2's domes have varying levels of crap on them, and no two were polished exactly the same way, so you get slightly varying levels of anisotropy from shot to shot. My favorite thing about working with a physics-based renderer, though, is that once you create a microdisplaced/microgrooved surface, the anisotropy takes care of itself, in a physically accurate way. If the resulting anisotropy is too sharp or too wide or too dim, you address the surface muck/roughness; that's what creates the highlight in the first place.

DomeCheck.jpg

Here you can see my dome is shinier than the one in the above shot - its highlight is a touch wider/dimmer and the light spreads across the dome more. The character of my dome is in keeping with what I call Dome #2, the primary dome seen in ANH, currently in the Archives. It was, overall, cleaner than most (for some of the film, anyway.) The dome pictured in the above ANH shot, incidentally, is a weird, incorrectly painted dome with a ton of surface damage which only appears in the film a few times; this shot, for one. But this is also the dome seen in the very opening shot of the film with 3PO and R2 heading down the Tantive corridor.

My previous post's render is also in a really abstract and stark environment, which does not help any. The identical droid seen under an hdr, for example, looks better:

DomeCheck2.jpg

And again, the intensity and nature of the emitter makes an impact. Lit by this desert .hdr, with relatively limited range, even the sun hit isn't that overpowering:

423HDR.jpg

_Mike
    *drools* whoa......
    :eek!::eek!:
    I suppose it was because the environment was so neutral, this last one you posted, with the desert, looks much better

Edit: btw, how is your star wars legacy edition doing? it's been dead for a while. Any chance of seeing it resurrecting some day?
    Hey Mike, thank you for being so kind :)

There is so much more I want to do on my Artoo, and as ever mate I am inspired (and very gratefully 'forced' ((:))) to continue to learn and improve) by your work/updates!

The 423HDR and DomeCheck renders look really cool, you are definitely cacputring the ANH Artoo
    Dr. Jones wrote: »
    I suppose it was because the environment was so neutral, this last one you posted, with the desert, looks much better

Edit: btw, how is your star wars legacy edition doing? it's been dead for a while. Any chance of seeing it resurrecting some day?

The site's years in need of an update. The project was finished twice already -done, and re-done. There is a third version starting in August.

Wiz: thanks.. keep it up. I'm actually this close to scrapping and starting over. You know, to really do it right. :)

_Mike
    Thanks, and I hear you, I have redone bits (mesh wise) but have not gone the full hog as yet, but I do have the same itch myself :)

So lets scratch it! :)

Artoo is truly under the skin!

:)
    mverta wrote: »
    I'm actually this close to scrapping and starting over. You know, to really do it right. :)

Waste Not, Want Not Mike, .... Send the Scrap to me ....

Jas
    :lol: I just read my last post... "So lets scratch it!", what was I on about; you see right there is why you shouldnt mix wine with posting on forums :)

Mike the subtle bumps and imperfections on the dome really help to push the realism, are these in the mesh or a bump map?
    I rarely use bumps; the brain can tell they're bull**** 90% of the time. The stuff on the dome is in the mesh.

_Mike
    Tweaking the dome texture, and Booster Cover textures...

Dome_Test_2.jpg

Leg_Test_2.jpg

_Mike
  • PhaserPhaser0 Posts: 0Member
    There are no words for how good this model is. Words simply fail. I'm glad to see you've revived this thread!

Any chance of seeing a wireframe? In particular, I'm interested in how much you deformed the mesh, since there are no perfectly straight or curved lines in real life, as you've pointed out.

While I'm on the subject, did you manually move each vertex to get the realistic aberrations on the mesh surface, or did you use a script?
    I painted all the deformations with a brush in Maya. They're pretty subtle, in most cases, but because it's a reflective surface, they read really strongly. Most of the original domes have only slight stuff on the surface; a couple have big dents, but only a couple.

All the panels - in fact everything on the model - were manually misaligned, rotated, twisted, etc. Today I save myself all that work, and never model using snaps, precision, etc. I build my models the way real modelmakers do: by eye. All those little imperfections and asymmetries add up; they make all the difference.

Dome_Wires.png

_Mike
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow! great work, what are you planing on doing with your photo real artoo? Dont take this the wrong way, but Id love to see him exploded!
    This is the Artoo I did for the Star Wars Complete Visual Dictionary, which showed him in a semi-exploded view. It has all the attachments, periscope, boosters, etc.

_Mike
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Incredible work.
    Everytime I think you surely cannot make Artoo look anymore real you prove me wrong.

I am trying out painting on the deformations on my Artoo (I have never used this tool), and it is working out quite well. I was previously using the soft selection tool on a high poly areas and trying to shape it that way, which works ok for the dents and more harsher deformations but wasnt giving me the subtle imperfections I was after, so many thanks for the tip!

Are you planning on doing any animations with Artoo, would be great to see him moving around :) (what are your render times now?).
    "More real than real." That's my motto :D *sigh* maybe one day...

Render times aren't bad... it's all relatively speaking, of course. What was Transformers 2 topping out at? 72 hours per IMAX frame? :)

I'd have to time the next full render, but these tests were each about 10-15 minutes on a dual AMD Opteron 2.2. Octacores are showing up Monday, though...:devil: Perhaps then some animations...

_Mike