Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    It will never be released. That level of self-righteous hypocrisy would just be off the scale.

I don't hate George Lucas; I don't know him. I don't hate that he's played with the movies. I hate that he's literally destroyed or locked up all the original versions, which are historically significant.

_Mike
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    If he locked up the original versions, then where'd you get the HD source material?

Anyway, the original versions are available on DVD (albeit sourced from Laserdisc masters) but those nonetheless are a pretty good representation of the films in their original state, warts and all. Sure, the image res is low, but at least the colour timing isn't migraine-inducing like it is in the Special Edition DVD's.

Thing is, where does one draw the line on "restoration" anyway? Surely altering a single pixel to remove a scratch that was present in the original negative is "destoying" a small piece of historical significance? Removing a matte line is also misrepresenting the original because you're erasing evidence of the effects techniques employed at the time.

btw, maybe you ought to look at yourself before calling George Lucas self righteous!
    I didn't call George Lucas self-righteous. I said it would be self-righteous of me to release my versions. It was a 5 sentence post you almost read all the way through before commenting on, and were wrong. Says it all.

_Mike
    mverta wrote: »
    I didn't call George Lucas self-righteous. I said it would be self-righteous of me to release my versions.

It would also be illegal.
  • gonk droidgonk droid0 Posts: 0Member
    wow. my jedi powers must be growing. i could sense this disturbance in the force all the way from cgtalk.

Attachment not found.
  • WXMWXM331 Posts: 0Member
    Hello Mike!

A long time ago, when you were still using pure Maya for this project I believe, you posted a little anim of your R2 in just a black room with head turning and such, where the focus shifting was in and out a little in the beginning. Ring a bell? Well, it would be a real treat to see a similar anim with your Maxwell 1.6 R2-D2 here! Seeing the dome turning, the textures 'in action,' under the lights... :) I know you're busy, if by any chance you had a few minutes to throw something simple (from an animation standpoint) like that together again for us, that would be really cool (would show off a lot of texture neatness that the stills don't necessarily show off)! :)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I think that would take a little longer than a few minutes.
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    biotech wrote: »
    I think that would take a little longer than a few minutes.

Yeah especially considering that these renders probably took several hours to render.
    Would be very cool looking though. :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    That anim of r2 would be seriously cool to see :)

and by release, i meant blowing lucas away with the sheer brillinace o fmikes restoration, and begging mike to allow him to release it :D. but that''ll happen when pigs fly....:p
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    Great. It's in HD, now. :)

_Mike

curious as to how you can put it in HD when your source is laserdisc?
    Probably better bet to use the "Limited Edition" DVD bonus discs as a source anyway rather than the actual Laserdisc - the DVD at least is a digital source unlike the laserdisc itself which is analogue.

Though I suppose its possible what Mike is doing is using the HD Special Edition as a source (it was broadcast a while back in the states) and "undoing" the special edition bits. Though I don't know how one would deal with the dayglo colour timing. Ugh.
    Some leg refinements.

Nat_Test.jpg

_Mike
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    You've pulled his leg off !!:eek:
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    OMG! I could swear that was from the real thing...some r2 out there is at a gov office claiming disability benefits...:lol:
  • Shadowman99Shadowman99331 Posts: 0Member
    What did you do to R2!?!? Nooooo!!!!!

Seriously, great render. I see new texures, and perhaps some shader tweeks. Am I missing anything?
    Well that is an ancient render, prior to the time I went to collect textures from the real R2's at The Ranch. So certainly yes, they're substantially different from those, but still markedly different from previous versions of this map set.

_Mike
    Would be nice if his lordship would take the time to answer our basic questions on where he got a clean HD source of the unaltered Trilogy....
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    jeuss, JDR, can't you just leave it. We know Mike got cornections. So just leave it at that.

Killer leg Mike.
  • DerekDRPDerekDRP0 Posts: 0Member
    WoW this is insane but not as insane as I'am :)
  • nikolasnikolas0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi.
    that's really impressive. Good work ! Keep up the good work ;)
    Simon (JDR) -

On January 8th, you sent me a PM "extending the olive branch" and apologizing for being "aggressive" towards me. Now, I don't know why you started in on me in the first place, but I figured people deserve a break/stuff happens, so replied to your PM saying apology accepted; we were cool. Let's keep it that way.

_Mike
    Meanwhile...

Some updates on the dome; little things in the aluminum shaders and blue paint shaders.

Dome_Adjust.jpg

_Mike
    Fantastic.

Hey Mike, is the R2 in the ranch made of wood like the one they send round whenever there are exhibits of props and costumes?
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    Oh no, not his head too !! :o:o:o Have you no mercy ?!

Superb work,looks great !
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Umm... i thought you were doing a CGI one... that looks real
    None of the production R2's (there are several) are wood; they're either aluminum or moulded plastic/fiberglass. The original R2's were all aluminum, but they started making moulds when it came time to make Empire.

_Mike
    biotech wrote: »
    Fantastic.

Hey Mike, is the R2 in the ranch made of wood like the one they send round whenever there are exhibits of props and costumes?
    I wonder where that wooden one came from then?
    Which wooden one? Do you have photos or something? The Kenny Baker ones sometimes have little pieces of wood on the inside or support, but none of the legs/feet/bodies/domes/etc. are wood.

_Mike
    The pictures I had were lost when my hard drive failed, but someone else I work with said the same thing when he saw a different exhibit in a different part of the county.

Its just the white parts of R2, but its definitely made out of wood.

Maybe it was just a stand in or something.
    Simon (JDR) -

On January 8th, you sent me a PM "extending the olive branch" and apologizing for being "aggressive" towards me. Now, I don't know why you started in on me in the first place, but I figured people deserve a break/stuff happens, so replied to your PM saying apology accepted; we were cool. Let's keep it that way.

_Mike

No prob, just getting a bit carried away as usual.