Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    Guess that's what you guys get for using LW... Time to trade-up. :D

Seriously, though, sorry to hear that. I worked on the Maya plug-in development to make sure it was seamless, and I couldn't be happier, but I don't know who was on the LW team. I do know that they want plug-in parity, so there's no question somebody's on it. Hope it's soon for you guys...

_Mike
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    aye, the max plugin is pretty seemless too. Absolutely love it.
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    An interesting comment. Do you feel that way because TPM used more practical models than AOTC and ROTS did? What is it about the vfx in TPM that you feel is superior to AOTC and ROTS? Just curious.

Realism mixed with classic camera work and look.
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    mverta wrote: »

Seriously, though, sorry to hear that. I worked on the Maya plug-in development to make sure it was seamless, and I couldn't be happier, but I don't know who was on the LW team. I do know that they want plug-in parity, so there's no question somebody's on it. Hope it's soon for you guys...

_Mike

Mike the maya plug-in is fantastic you guys did great.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I was just on the maxwell site. Those architecture renders in the gallery look like fricking photos. dannggg.
  • weaselandalfweaselandalf0 Posts: 0Member
    It's been great reading through this thread, I must say I've been blown away by all of this. I'm a humble Blender-using-hermit (internal renderer, not even Yafray). I know that the program and renderer I use don't really measure up to the the tools you're using, and being open-source, wont for years to come. However, it's been insightful being able to read everyone's posts (sans any banned members, which I'll just gloss over...! -cough-) I must say that it seems that the result seems to come 80% from the way you approach the process of creating it and just reading everything here has made me a better modeller.

And a 3P0 model, would that require reference photography?? I guess it depends on which version you go for, but say you were to choose the ep III era one (I know you'd probably choose ep IV to match your R2) surely the texture would require little work...? I know you hate procedural textures, but how would you approach texturing that?? It would annoy me, becuase of the lack of scratches, dust ect. - instead just the shiny gold plating would surely detract from the realism of the model because of it's simplicity...? Wouldn't it?

Weaselandalf
    For a clean 3-PO, or R2 for that matter, I think the geometry becomes that much more important, because there aren't the usual texture cues to signal something as real. And even "clean" isn't clean - there are ALWAYS things on the surface: dust, a few scratches, an errant fingerprint or palm print, etc. But 3-PO was originally sculpted by hand, so you can be damn sure there aren't any symmetrical or perfect anythings on the surface. I believe that if I had done the 3-PO model right, it would look "right," even in clay render form.

_Mike
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member

No, thanks. Very happy with what I've got already.

M.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Anyway, Ep.1 looks the least like a videogame of the 3, to me.
    _Mike
    Whoa!!! And one hell of video game!!! but as a movie, i think it couldave been the best of the 3, if they had gotten the vfx right. Oh wel!

@jedilaw, r u using maxwell for ure ISD yet? :lol: :D
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Using what is built into Max 7.
  • CinnamonCinnamon331 Posts: 0Member
    Whoa... First Nico's jaw dropping Eagle Transporter, and now this... I have GOT to figure out how to get myself a copy of this Maxwell thing. On the plus side, by the time I'm capable of modelling anything that would benefit from it, I'll likely be able to afford it.

Thank you, Mike, for sharing those insights into the surface texturing, and the like. It's given me a lot to think about - very educational. To say nothing of an absolutely spectacular model. I, too, will be looking forward to seeing more in the way of tutorials that you have a part in.

Cheers!

-jaime
    R2_Closeup.jpg

R2 is still getting a lot of re-working, some changes seen here. Inevitably, the model is going to fail to hold up on closest scrutiny; I'm just trying to push that as far as possible, and I still feel I have a ways to go. I'm not sold 100% on this image, but if you look at the "Greenscreen" R2 from the same angle, it would be worse. There are just hundreds of things that make the difference...

_Mike
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    So whats wrong with that pic again? :shiner:
    Even if i tried, i doubt i can come up with anything nit-picky enough to satisfy you. It looks AMAZING!!! better than any other R2 ive seen.
    Would it possible for yo to post a render for a "new" R2; ya know, like clean and shiny and etc....? ( i really need more wallpapers!:D)
    I actually started this process, which means going back to the first geometry I brought in from Rhino, before I'd done anything else to it. Really, there are about 5 materials on it, if you do it clean, so... anyway, should be interesting.

_Mike
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    the only reason i know thats fake is because you told me it was.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Mike if you had told us this was a photo and not CG, I doubt most of us would know that you where liying.
  • AldrikGAldrikG0 Posts: 0Member
    I look at your renders, and I don't even know what to say. This is SO amazing, I can hardly believe it even though I've followed this thread for months.

I only have one question..

Are you REALLY a human? I mean seriously. If you were some kinda mesh-wielding alien, you'd let us know, right?
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Inevitably, the model is going to fail to hold up on closest scrutiny; I'm just trying to push that as far as possible, and I still feel I have a ways to go.
    At some point the amount of time and effort being put into a 3D model would be more than building the real thing.

Mike, you have to know from the response that this is an amazing model and an even better use of textures, lights and other choices in rendering that produces a superior result.
    Well actually, it took me 3 years to build my first real R2 :) But this has definitely been one of those projects where I just like tweaking it.

_Mike
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    3 to build the real thing or in 3D

and it has paid off if it is iether
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    Mike...don't think the textures can hold for such close ups..we see lots of streching, and the bump maps are dead on CG looking.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Be that as it may, it's an impressive piece of work.
    I would hazard a guess as to why "it looks 'obviously' cg" to some people. if u work in 3d long enough, your mind breaks down everything into their respective cg parts automatically, and inevitably, it fails to hold up. (Kinda the same w/ photoshop: you use it long enough, and u can sorta tell when a picture is real or photoshopped) but for everyone else, it really looks amazing!
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    al3d wrote: »
    Mike...don't think the textures can hold for such close ups..we see lots of streching, and the bump maps are dead on CG looking.

Well, he did say he was going to rework areas that needed improvement. My issue with the latest render is that it looks like a scale model of an R2 droid rather than a real-sized one.
    JDR wrote: »
    Well, he did say he was going to rework areas that needed improvement. My issue with the latest render is that it looks like a scale model of an R2 droid rather than a real-sized one.

Well, how would a "real-sized" R2 look different? put something in there for perspective?
    I'd say 70% of the time scale issues are caused by depth-of-field problems, 20% by lighting cue problems, and 10% by lack of peripheral object problems. In this case, it's probably depth-of-field, which if it's too severe, makes everything look like a miniature, like in this photo of the actual real world colosseum:
    Barbieri-colosseum.jpg

However, this R2 was shot with a "virtual" Canon Eos D1 mkII (meaning the proper filmback size, realistic focal length, and f-stop/exposure) and the scale of the scene is correct, so Maxwell returns accurate depth-of-field. Nonetheless, it's interesting how we see stuff!

@Alain: There is absolutely zero stretching on any material, anywhere on the model. Every single edge and surface is mapped separately to avoid that, because I believe that's one of the first dead-giveaways of CG. Can you show me what you thought looked like it?

Incidentally, here's that "clean R2" I more or less threw together. I think with some refinement it might be interesting.
    R2_Clean.jpg

_Mike

P.S. There are a few errors on the dome from "undisplacing" - a first generation clean dome would have to be all re-uv'd, so I just flattened out the normal one. There's a process for transferring uv's, but I hadn't bothered yet. If this image is a high-demand thing, then I'll deal, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of clean R2 :D
    wow mike that last render is making my brain conflict with real and cg! I see that its clean but then I see the lighting of it. Very interesting :D
    Technically, this R2 is about as "CG" as you can get - it's perfect surfaces, perfect materials... it could never exist like this. If I was actually going to do it for real, then no matter how clean there would still be a ton of little tweaks, pulls, color shifts in the paint, etc.

_Mike
    yeap, still amazing work though :D