Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    WOW! this is awesome! Can't wait to see more :)

Chris :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice Mike, vey nice indeed.

Its funny but for years I never noticed Kenny's legs in the two legged version, only after I started to model R2 did they suddenly jump out and now cannot help to notice them when I watch A New Hope... :)

Out of interest what exposure settings have you gone for with the hdri environment? Basically I want to see how close my own settings are to yours to see how well MR is actually acting (and whether or not I am doing it correctly, so scrounging some further titbits ;)).

Ps - Ooooh a desktop version, can't wait! :)
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    I'll send you one of my .hdr's and you can render with the same lighting to check.

_Mike
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Great Update Mike, I'm happy to see you again...

Welcome back man!!!

P.S.: I'm waiting for the desktop version
    Thanks Mike, got the hdr, and popped a test render over to you :)
  • Jedi2016Jedi20160 Posts: 0Member
    That's one thing I've seen with a lot of the models I have.. You can set it up perfectly in one scene, then pop it into another scene and it looks completely different. Seems like it's hard to find a truly realistic surface that behaves properly under all kinds of lighting conditions. I guess if you can get to the point where all you have to do is adjust the scene and lighting, without adjusting any of the surfaces, then you're doing alright.

Kudos on the surfaces, though.. I look forward to trying to match them on my version (which isn't built yet.. lol). Metal that actually looks like metal, and even more impressive, silver paint that actually looks like silver paint and not like metal or flat gray surface. I see you went that route with some of the surfaces (properly so, since the ILM prop is that way) rather than trying to make those parts metal (although I'll probably mix-and-match a bit myself). I'd ask you what you did, but I believe we use entirely different software (I use LightWave exclusively, no external renderer), so I'm not sure how many of the technical details would work cross-platform. I really need to get back working on mine..
    A close-up:

R2_2010_2.jpg

And an homage kind-of-thing (doing this one at 1920x1200 currently):

R2_2010_3.jpg

_Mike
    Holy crap! Perfect; and you also have a dirt layer on the clear gloss coat... now that is detail!

Love that shot, a perfect homage (looking forward to the hi res version)!
    Yes, the clearcoat grease/dirt is tricky because it really only reads at grazing angles and/or with grazing light. Lots of times it's just obscured by the power of the paint behind it. That took forever to get "right."

_Mike
    I can imagine, it looks pretty damn spot on mate!

I thought about adding a dirt layer and gave it a quick go a few weeks back, but removed it as it was not working.
    Something to come back to I guess... in the years to come ;)

And it has been a long time coming your Artoo in the corridor, finally glad to see him there :)
    The thing about the Tantive corridor lighting is it sucks. It's just a really unpleasant set-up, what with the overheads and stark interior. But, ahh... nostalgia.
    Jedi2016 wrote: »
    That's one thing I've seen with a lot of the models I have.. You can set it up perfectly in one scene, then pop it into another scene and it looks completely different. Seems like it's hard to find a truly realistic surface that behaves properly under all kinds of lighting conditions. I guess if you can get to the point where all you have to do is adjust the scene and lighting, without adjusting any of the surfaces, then you're doing alright.

It's largely engine-dependent, as well. One of the reasons I use Maxwell. When it's right, it's right. You can put it in any scene you want, and it'll behave properly.

_Mike
    Indeed :)
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Mike, those are incredible. Your hard work and attention to detail has paid off, and them some.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    mverta wrote: »
    The thing about the Tantive corridor lighting is it sucks. It's just a really unpleasant set-up, what with the overheads and stark interior. But, ahh... nostalgia.
    Your Tantive IV sucks; or the original film version T-IV corridor is a horrible set with bad scene lighting?

and still waiting for that desktop scene!! :D
    I mean the original scene is classic, yes; iconic, yes; but the lighting, etc., is just not very flattering or sexy. It's hard to make anything look good in that setup.

The full-res will be up later; I'm doing a few more now.

_Mike
    mverta wrote: »
    A close-up:

R2_2010_2.jpg

_Mike

The closeup is impressive Mike, my compliments, only one question: there are 2 red dots on the lens on the down left, what's that?

Bye
    SSS artifacts I need to clone out.

_Mike
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Love them both Mike. Many thanks for working on the high res images. I'm interested to know how long they take you to render and what sort of hardware your using to do it. I imagine the render times will be pretty horrific with shaders as complex as that...

Oh - you are going to render a high res pic of the first, close-up view, aren't you? :cool:
    Just playing around looking for something cool...

R2_2010_4.jpg

R2_2010_5.jpg

R2_2010_6.jpg

Big one isn't up yet because I'm making a couple changes to the body material.

_Mike
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty darned convincing, man!
    Thanks; I'm just rolling the camera around and pressing render. Going to try a few set-ups.

_Mike
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Mike that is some very impressive work.
    I showed it to my wife and she though it was a screen shot form ANH.
    I love the desert environment...
    More tests on the desert :-)

Bye
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow, I thought this close up render was a reference photo. Amazing
    Looks awesome :), and I can see I really have a lot more tweaking to do on the working of the reflections on my own dome (oo er missus).

As ever looking forward to further updates! :)
    Yeah if you look at the top desert shot, the dome looks really matte. It's the freakin' clouds doing that. That's why it always feels like a moving target.

_Mike
    haha, yeah, I am learning to render with several very different hdr's and lighting solutions to test each update. The amount of times I have had the metals/and other materials looking pretty damn good just to stick it in another lighting solution and it then be totally wrong... (maybe that is MR screwing me more tho than my own perceived ineptness :))
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Wow, that looks excellent!

I'd love to see some kind of breakdown of the textures (color, diffuse, reflection and such). Would that be possible? :)

Thanks,
    Rob
    Maxwell doesn't work like other engines - it's far simpler and faster with better results, but when I'm through with the next pass I'll describe the material set-up.

_Mike
    R2 as Iron Man. ...Don't ask. :)

IronR2.jpg

_Mike