Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    R2_2010_7.jpg

_Mike
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Is there a screengrab from ROTS or ANH we can compare this too?
    I'm not sure what you'd be comparing - the angle and environment matches a shot from Star Wars, but this R2's materials don't match any particular R2 dome/body set - not that there is one that's consistent for more than a couple cuts anyway. The level of dirt/polish changed radically during filming as the robots were cleaned, dirtied, repaired, even repainted constantly.

_Mike
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Mike the materials are just simply outstanding.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    do you think its possible to teach a hobbyist like me how to make such materials and textures? Your work is awesome!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    You've outdone yourself yet again Mr. Verta - excellent work!!
    Thanks, everyone... and Chris, yes of course anyone can learn this. But I've said many times that the geometry is at least 60% of the thing. One thing I can't understand is why so few people embrace the asymmetry/randomness/humanity aspect of all real-world objects when they're modeling. Every real ship, and practical model, is just a giant assortment of wonkiness, and yet here, 99% of the models are mathematically precise, symmetrical, have perfect angles and surfaces. Nothing in the real world has this, and it immediately cripples your efforts.

Nothing on this R2 model is straight, or even, or symmetrical. It's basically a big pile of imprecision - just like the real ones. That makes all the difference in the world. I modeled him "perfect" and then spent a lot of time pulling all the panels out of whack, misaligning things, bending and distorting things, putting in bumps and scratches, twisting geometry, and more. THEN the texture detail comes in, but I almost never use (or have to use) bump maps, for example.

_Mike
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    mverta wrote: »
    One thing I can't understand is why so few people embrace the asymmetry/randomness/humanity aspect of all real-world objects when they're modeling. Every real ship, and practical model, is just a giant assortment of wonkiness, and yet here, 99% of the models are mathematically precise, symmetrical, have perfect angles and surfaces.

It's easier to build half of a model, then mirror it. And depending on how you build objects, the "snap to grid" feature can be handy for placing primitives and drawing splines. That's the best explanation I can think of.

I'm self-taught, so I don't know if teachers stress that sort of thing or not.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    I'm self-taught, too, and when I say "I don't understand," I don't mean that I don't understand why we do things like mirroring/snapping, etc., I just mean that if our goal is to make things look real, then our first job is to be aware of what really makes things look real in the first place. All the subtle cues in lighting, yes; the nature of the materials, yes; and the random imperfections inherent in every object, yes - those too!

_Mike
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I'm self-taught, too, and when I say "I don't understand," I don't mean that I don't understand why we do things like mirroring/snapping, etc., I just mean that if our goal is to make things look real, then our first job is to be aware of what really makes things look real in the first place. All the subtle cues in lighting, yes; the nature of the materials, yes; and the random imperfections inherent in every object, yes - those too!

_Mike

viva la imperfection! :p
  • shizkeshizke0 Posts: 0Member
    One thing I can't understand is why so few people embrace the asymmetry/randomness/humanity aspect of all real-world objects when they're modeling. Every real ship, and practical model, is just a giant assortment of wonkiness, and yet here, 99% of the models are mathematically precise, symmetrical, have perfect angles and surfaces. Nothing in the real world has this, and it immediately cripples your efforts.

_Mike

Well said. That approach is something I've only recently started to adopt in my work. These machines of ours give us an extraordinary power to be as precise (or imprecise) as we have time to be. Truth is, there's a reason why hand-built models and physical VFX look better than some CGI...it's because there's a certain element of "error" that is contained within the work. That's not to say that CGI is a terrible thing, but keeping human error and the "fudge factor" in mind would do wonders for this industry.
    Goddammit.

I just bought a new rig - a 12-core Xeon system with 24GB of RAM. Finally enough power to do animations. I had never actually seen my R2 move before, and as soon as I started doing turntables, I saw things in the materials that weren't quite right - things you just can't tell until you see light and reflection play across a surface in motion. Little things, sure, but still important. Here's a leg post-tweak, and I'll put up some of the turnarounds soon.

R2_Leg_FINAL_2010.jpg

_Mike
    a 12 core Xeon? wow, must be nice to work with :)

the render looks great!

Chris
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I just bought a new rig - a 12-core Xeon system with 24GB of RAM.

*hurrk*
    My god, how much did this rig RUN?!

And here I am, sitting in front of my single-core Celeron (more than 5 years old) with 640 MEGABYTES(!) of RAM. I feel like a shaky rat terrier at a bulldog convention . . . it's a wonder I can do ANYTHING with what I've got.:rolleyes:

Love the Artoo renders. Keepin' it "real"! LOL
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    T...twelve core.....(gulp)
    Yeah, I call it The Beast. That little 2k render above cranked out in 5 minutes. :)

_Mike
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    12 core xeon?... Think you just explained why the hobby modellers here don't put imperfections in their models. Last one I did which was anywhere near finished was so badly made, it took 15 hours to do 150 frames... and that was without any special fx... :)

Stunning model.
    Hey, ILM and Weta are still coming up with 40+hours/frame rendertimes for some of their stuff, so don't feel bad. :)

_Mike
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    yeah but if we tried to render one of there models to the same resalution. Our PC would just roll over and die.

Sweet looking leg.
    Amazing Mike, even at that high resolution the detail is really holding up, especially like the copper braided wiring on the feet.

Need to order me one of them there 12 cores ;)
    actually having said that and being able to render at that resolution showing that much detail I would never finish Artoo :P
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    The saga continues !! ....

Jas

R2 MAYHEM Trilogy Pics > Post #570
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Goddammit.

I just bought a new rig - a 12-core Xeon system with 24GB of RAM. Finally enough power to do animations. I had never actually seen my R2 move before, and as soon as I started doing turntables, I saw things in the materials that weren't quite right - things you just can't tell until you see light and reflection play across a surface in motion. Little things, sure, but still important. Here's a leg post-tweak, and I'll put up some of the turnarounds soon.

R2_Leg_FINAL_2010.jpg

_Mike

Holy cow. I would never have believed that was digital - but again, its the imperfections which bring him alive!

btw, congrats mike!

Binkerman wrote: »
    The saga continues !! ....

Jas

r2mayhemsequel.th.jpg Link to Full Size Pic
    you're insane - as usual. Lovin' it! :p
    Binkerman wrote: »
    the saga continues !! ....

Jas

r2mayhemsequel.th.jpg link to full size pic

rofl
    HA! Nice, Jas... :)
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry if you answered at this Q before but: what did you used for unwrap this model? You've started to model in Rhino right? Then, you've exported the model to Maya in OBJ format, when I do that the model is really dense and the UV mapping/ UnWapping is a nightmare, how did you achieved this great result? Anyway anytime I see your model I can't take my eyes off of it :D

The last render is P E R F E C T, a photoreal render!!!

Bye
    Almost without exception, once the model was in Maya, I re-projected UV's in various forms (cylindrical, planar, etc.) and then did a lot of manual moving of UV's to maximize normalized space and provide good layout for painting the maps. That can be more art than science, and takes some trial and error per part, but then once I had the UV's laid out the way I wanted them, I just did a UV Snapshot, and used the lines as guides for where to paint in Photoshop. In many cases, say with the feet, each face is individually projected, and then you just have to be very careful in Photoshop to create maps where the seams are seamless. The trick comes in places like the rounded edges on the feet: where is the division between front face and side face? Well, in most cases, I literally split the difference, and then could hide the division by clever copying/cloning in the map. For the feet, one might consider doing a cylindrical projection for the sides/font, and then a top projection for the top, but the distortion created by the cylindrical projection is just too annoying and severe to try and compensate for. Plus, my feet's geometry already matched the reference photos, so if I could do planar projections, I was already assured perfect alignment with the photos without much need for manual adjustment of UV's.

_Mike
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Almost without exception, once the model was in Maya, I re-projected UV's in various forms (cylindrical, planar, etc.) and then did a lot of manual moving of UV's to maximize normalized space and provide good layout for painting the maps. That can be more art than science, and takes some trial and error per part, but then once I had the UV's laid out the way I wanted them, I just did a UV Snapshot, and used the lines as guides for where to paint in Photoshop. In many cases, say with the feet, each face is individually projected, and then you just have to be very careful in Photoshop to create maps where the seams are seamless. The trick comes in places like the rounded edges on the feet: where is the division between front face and side face? Well, in most cases, I literally split the difference, and then could hide the division by clever copying/cloning in the map. For the feet, one might consider doing a cylindrical projection for the sides/font, and then a top projection for the top, but the distortion created by the cylindrical projection is just too annoying and severe to try and compensate for. Plus, my feet's geometry already matched the reference photos, so if I could do planar projections, I was already assured perfect alignment with the photos without much need for manual adjustment of UV's.

_Mike

Thanks for the tips, Mike, as I've supposed, there's a great work behind the texturing of this kind of model, your texures are seamless and fused perfectly, my compliments!!!

Bye
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Updated that pic posted earlier (Ep2 Pic), and did one more ... R2 MAYHEM Trilogy Complete !!

Episode 1 - Into the Future

r2mayhem.th.jpg Link To Full Size Pic

Episode 2 - Restless Spirits

r2mayhemsequel.th.jpg Link To Full Size Pic

Episode 3 - Tortured Souls

r2mayhemsequel2.th.jpg Link To Full Size Pic

The Saga Concluded !! ........ for now ...

Look forward to seeing those turntables Mike ...

Jas
    I almost feel guilty for finding those so funny :)