Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCalling all Stargate Fans!

• tadztadz175 Posts: 0Member
    sorry for the multie i have finished the cargo he it is (below) and the mix well i have started but only from front view
  • freekzillafreekzilla2 Posts: 0Member
    scorpius wrote: »
    Well the idea of the fins moving is merely an emergency measure. Having a retractable landing spire is all well and good if you were planning on landing, but if the ship is damaged and have to make an unplanned landing on a random planet to make repairs (which may include the Asgard beams going offline for example) then an emergency system to get them on the ground I think is a safe option. Baring in mind this is very soon after they gain the Asgard tech and so might be a little unsure quite how well the systems are going to mix in with current Tau'ri systems. Like I say, just an safety feature really rather than a system that would be used on a day-to-day basis

Scorp,
    I had an idea on how to resolve the fin problem. How about if the fins were made up of individual panels and when you go to land, the individual panels fold out and then up, but instead of the panels being attached at the top, they are attached near the middle. I've included two simple pix as visual aids to show what I mean. Heck, you could have the rear landing gear located in this location, so instead of having the landing gear having to be extended and retracted, the panels hiding the gear are.

It's not perfect, but it would greatly reduce the height of the fins. It's just a concept. I think you'll get what I mean though.
  • scorpiusscorpius332 Posts: 0Member
    See I really like that idea, however I'm not sure it'll translate properly to this design. Because of the positioning of the fins in relation to the fighter bays there's nowhere for the panel to go on that side. This system is something I'd certainly like to look into for future designs though freek.

What I've done is gotten rid of the rotating lower fin because I wasn't all that keen on it. Instead, I've flattened out the lower fins so they're more like my other fin designs. The idea is now, once the ship gets it's Asgard fin upgrades, they would also install a main anti-gravity emitter at the front of the ship to keep that end up while landing, and the lower fins would actually make contact with the surface. Also, an emergency landing strut would be installed at the front in case the anti-grav emitter was not functional for whatever reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I wonder why are you not doing space station from parts of Midway? I was thinking about it and it could be very ISSish.
    Well I had thought about using the Midway for inspiration but the thing is they never showed much of it or where exactly they were going with it. The station that was shown seemed very much a bare-bones in progress station
    Doesn't matter, I presume that uncompleted module will be finisher and than could be connected to another same module using some kind of Unity from ISS or something. You can connect six modules like that for basic construction, surprisingly this kinda remind me ancient defense satelite. And with final touch, you can add "joint construction" (not sure how to say in English) like those on ISS. Another parts like defensive modules or large dry dock for BCs, attached to basic construction. It's maybe not giant orbital station, but I like the idea combining Midway and ISS.
    I'm assuming by ISS you mean the International Space Station? I've never really been a fan of the design (purely aesthetically, I'm no expert on how good the design is theory wise). I quite like the modular idea, and I do plan on having something like that in the design in future (I'd like to have it so that a station that is originally built for, say, research purposes could then be adapted to serve as a form of defense if war broke out for example, and like you say Raynor having construction modules would be useful so ships could be constructed on any already built station). For now though I'm taking a break from the station to work on the Icarus and Ares vessels.

I do have some updates on both ships. I'll do the Ares first (will upload images in the next post). I've messed about with the shape of it and I realised I had the proportions quite off before, I think I've got it better now. Also did a bit more with the middle section between the fins and the main hull. So that about sums it up for the Ares for today.

As for the Icarus, I've added a few bits and pieces. The main changes are the fins which now have solid bottoms, and I've built a landing gear (whether this particular one will stay I don't know, first time I've ever attempted to build one). One thing I've wanted to keep was the kind of "addon" look to the fins. The ship was an upgrade from the first Daedalus class vessels but it was never intended to have these added on, so I want them to look like they fit but not essentially like they were always intended to...if that makes ANY sense whatsoever.
    and here's the Ares update pics. C&C welcome as always
    scorpius i love the angel from the back looks awsome, similer to the daedalus but not the daedalus. Great work keep it coming
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Those are really looking great, Jay.
    I look forward to seeing more!
    Bar.
  • scootesscootes171 Posts: 0Member
    sorry that I havent replyed for awhile but my life(what little of one that I have) has gotten considerably busyer sence my last posts. reason being is I had to get a second job so I havent been home much(working 13 hour days for weeks strait) so overall my life is busy but I will try to work on my Hammond mesh as soon as I get a day off(I wonder what those are like:confused: ).
    but enough about me... very nice designs every body I look forward to seeing more from all of you, especaily you scorp:thumb:!!

Regards Jesh
    Well just to keep you happy scootes, here's the latest WIP images of the Icarus. I'm only posting images of the pre-upgrade version as I've not modified the fins at all today. I decided, after a little bit of tweaking, that I'm happy with the overall shape of the ship now. I moved the fighter bays out a bit and lengthened the front wing type bit. I might redo the rear platform completely as I'm not happy with the shape of it at the moment. I've also go to do a proper job on the thing at the front whatever it is (the bit that the silos merge into at the front of the ship), it's far too boxy at the moment. Mostly what I've done today is added a few greebles and that's really it. My job of adding the greebles that are there was made a lot easier by the fact that I used Daedalus designed greebles for my Argo so I just used the ones I'd already made, including the bridge. The only one that was made fresh today was the one right at the right, all on it's lonesome.

Anyway, C&C welcome as always, although I know at the moment it's just looking like a crappy model of the Daedalus lol, it will change more in time I promise!
    It's honestly looking very good.
    Once again, perhaps a derivation of the Argo texture would help to distance the exterior from the Daedalus class?
    Bar.
    both look great tbh,
    Thanks guys. Yeah I've not even begun with textures of any description yet, the only thing I've done is added the yellow to the silos and that's not really a texture! I'm kinda putting off texturing as long as possible, it's really the one thing that gets me bogged down in making models and bores me into wanting to start other designs without finishing previous ones. I still haven't finished the Argo revision mesh because I couldn't get to grips with texturing properly.
    looking very good:thumb:

Regards Jesh
    In an effort to get the thread back on the front page (where the f**k has everyone gone?!) I decided to render out an image of the Icarus as it stands. Added a few more greebles, mainly to the fighter bays (there's a couple of new ones underneath but you can't see any of those in this render).
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Just as i started making headway on one of my perojects i got hit by quite a nasty headcold. Today was the first time i've doen anything apart form mope around the house:lol:

i should have some more stuff on my cargobay in the next few days.

I'm liking the Ship Scorp:thumb:
    yeas it is very nice Scorp!
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to updates on your cargo bay Rob.

Anybody got anything else they wanna show us? Past few days on this thread it's been like going cold turkey!
    Man i tried posting these pics last night but the site wouldn't let me in:confused:

Been thinking on how to store the cargo in the bay. For the smaller stuff like food supplies and the like i fiddled about and made this container
    ContainerforCB.jpg

it's designed to be stacked about three high in the bay... This is with then two high-
    ContainerfullCB.jpg

Bigger bulkier stuff would be secured in other ways but i've not got that far yet

C&C plz
    nice idea, and well put together. You thinking the cargo would just be beamed out using the asgard beams rather than got to by hand? Or qould the whole container be beamed out of the stack?
    I wasn't going to have them load/unload with the Asgard beams, i prefer the old fashioned method of a forklift truck.

One sticking point i'm having is the lights. i've got the actul lights sorted but the light fittings/sources i'm struggling with.Not entirely sure how to get them to work or even how they should look:rolleyes:
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    I wasn't going to have them load/unload with the Asgard beams, i prefer the old fashioned method of a forklift truck.
    Also, there would be a cargo loader system in the roof, to pick a crate up and ferry it around via rails(But only to the point where the forklifts would pick the crate up).
    Bar.
    I like the progress you have made DR lee it is looking very nice

thats a good idea Bar I think that would be the perfect system for unloading those containers that arent in front where the forklift cant reach them

Regards Jesh
    I have been wondering if i could do something like that in there.
  • Wilson359Wilson3590 Posts: 0Member
    You could have some sort of anti-grav. unit on each cargo container that can be remotely accessed. Or something like what they used in Aliens :D
    I've not seen any of the Alien movies so i dunno what you mean:lol:

This is where i'm at so far with the Crane
    crane.jpg
    Dr Lee wrote: »

Ah right, the only reason i asked really was because I wondered how you get to the containers in the middle and particularly those not on the top row. Having a crane machanism as well I guess would help but just seems a lot of work if they need to get to the more difficult to access crates that's all.
    ok sorry to interrupt but i have been searching the web and lots of sites say the odyssey is different to the rest of the Daedalus class's is this true? if so i would like some image prove... P.S this is not to start an argument just i am getting annoyed because i cant spot any difference besides the different camera angles
This discussion has been closed.