Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• ashleytingerashleytinger2152 Central OhioPosts: 1,289Member
    Oh I really love those
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg2178 CaliforniaPosts: 2,301Member
    Man that is so good.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804825 Posts: 11,339Member
    Those red grills really scream "Klingon!"
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish10501 Posts: 5,420Member
    Happy accident, as I was mostly aiming at just connecting those "fingers" in the drive "cones".

"wing" details and chamfering out the core bit between the feathers.
    kling-pretos-vray-154.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-156.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-157.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707wibbleLizzy777BrandenbergStarCruiserashleytingercaveat_imperator
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Ah yes, plating like feathers. I love the green lights between.
    Messing about with colors and adjusting some of the contrast colors as well. Also thanks to someone I wasted most of the time messing with new hdris
    Wish I could speed IPR up by just throwing $$ at a gpu or something but looking at taskmanager it is still mostly using the cpu. While 3900x is 5yrs old I cannot justify a 70oox the board and ram. I doubt it would make much of a difference as well.

Anyhow cannot decide on a hdri atm I keep leaning to a pure clean result a warmer tone or ones with l9ots of eye catching kick. Oddly it is also hard to judge how itll affect the mesh as many are way to yellow or way too blue. While the older renders DO lean to making the ship look greener than the base preview material is as it is more drab and darker (all hdri seem to ramp the gamma up overall) It is a reason I still rely on color patches over eyeball in the renderer. Though composite always alters the results and well, I do often tweak stuff in post. ANYHOW. As for the mesh itself I am unsure to go with tones of or go with some contrasting markings. ENT Klingons from memory were all that drabbed grass green with no contrast coloration. Eh maybe I should go browse about at my ent dir and verify. . . .

kling-pretos-vray-166.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-167.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-168.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-169.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-170.jpg

oh yeah I have not done much for the pods or the warp drives as those are all grouped instances so it is a bit more involved to color them up so I am working out the colors before I get to those parts.
    Brandenbergwibbleevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperatorashleytingersrspicer
    I'd say that's pretty ship shape.
  • NevetsNevets203 EarthPosts: 137Member
    I'm liking the grey-looking version. Makes me think the Klingons have been hanging around Starfleet too much and have started using a grey tint. LOL

A curious question: Do the pylons pivot in any way?
    Would be a fine Romulan Bird-of-Prey tribute, especially visualizing it landing somehow.
    edited July 26 #3580
    Nope, not a fan of moving parts on large objects.

BOP I think it was more of a positioning of the weapons systems and maybe producing oblique angles for weapons fire if your really gonna nerd out.
    It might make sense if this was a TNG era ship for the whole warp geometery thing that lasted all but a season.

This thing was suppose to be a Klingon war era ship. . . . but well I prolly got carried away with shapes and detail. lol KIM it is only 253m long

oh oh yeah forgot the gray looking one is due to the HDRI lighting the scene, many with a lot of blue sky tent to alter the tonality of the materials with a strong color cast. The real color of the ship is a gray with a hint of green in pure white light. I let the hdri over blow the image so dark stuff shows up in WIP images. I usually tone it all down for scene renders.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Star Trek design has been all over the place for a lot of years, especially with JJ Abrams and the Disco people doing stylized reboots and retcons. So, this could totally work for the Klingon war era.

I have to say, I really like your hull colors on this one. The muted tone to the greens and browns is really looking great.
    was suppose to be coloring things but got carried away with other things on here. . . . .
    kling-pretos-vray-171.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-172.jpg
    evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserBrandenbergLizzy777ashleytingerRory1707srspicer
    Those engine details are fantastic.
    Brandenberg
    I wish my mind worked just a little bit like yours @MadKoiFish. At least just a teensy weensy bit...
    OOOf I dunno about that, might be asking for trouble.

More doo dahs and wee wahs Still some work to do on the shapes of things to match them to the hull better than what was originally done and then a pass of detaily bits that the xmas lights.

kling-pretos-vray-176.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-177.jpg
    StarCruisercaveat_imperatorrojrenevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777ashleytingerwibbleRory1707srspicer
    edited July 28 #3586
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    OOOf I dunno about that, might be asking for trouble.
    Well I DID say a teensy weensy bit. :p

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Messing with the self lighting mostly.

kling-pretos-vray-179.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-180.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerBrandenbergwibbleRory1707caveat_imperatorsrspicer
    A mess of details no one will ever see again. . . . . .
    Some of the really loose stuff is buried under other elements so literately will never be seen again. Some of the others might be seen in close ups. MIGHT hah. Pretty much what is shown are the coils injectors and plasma rails leading to the aft dispersion array field guides and a few of the wave plates/armor to give an idea where this all goes on the nacelle.

kling-pretos-vray-183.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-184.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-185.jpgkling-pretos-vray-186.jpg

everyone is probably sick of seeing this thing by now lol. I know it took me a while to get moving today wasting most of it fooling with hdds and other things around the house mostly cause I wanna start a new project but I really gotta get to finishing some of the old ones first!
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergwibblerojrenStarCruiserRory1707srspicer
    Whether or not we really see them, the inner bits are cool.
    Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2152 Central OhioPosts: 1,289Member
    Love the inner bits!
    Brandenberg
    Obviously you love what you are doing. We do too.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I wanna start a new project but I really gotta get to finishing some of the old ones first!

I can totally relate. Part of me is like "you know you have open projects to work on." But a bigger part of me wants to just start something new. The problem is, I don't know what. :lol:
    Brandenberg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972338 Posts: 1,216Member
    I can relate to that too. I have so many ideas in my head and old projects to finish but it's so long since I've properly been into Blender. Plus the weather has finally turned sunny.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann845 Posts: 1,400Member
    Oh my god, I oscillate between that and "I've never had an original idea i my life!" with nothing between those extremes.
    I push to "finish" projects and often do, but sometimes get stopped because I can't figure out how to solve a problem and get the mesh right. I'll drop it a while and eventually go back and solve it. It's just that I'm never 100% satisfied with the finished product so technically, it isn't finished.
    edited July 30 #3596
    I think some of what everyone said is part of the process. I have gone through all of it, and still do.

as for finishing something, eh I more often just tire of it or am unsure of what to do next on something.
    Yes, sounds familiar as far as my experience.
    edited July 31 #3598
    Bunch of stuff I will be undoing today, or this evening lol

kling-pretos-vray-189.jpg

other thing miffing me is why I modeled the inner cap with that curvature in the side. . . gonna see if I can remove some of it without redoing the part but dunno.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserwibbleBrandenberg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann845 Posts: 1,400Member
    I like the curvature, shows there's some power under the hood.
    My wording wasn't too clear I am referring to this "bump" what is odd is there isnt much of a real curve there to create that bump. It is mostly geometery there for the outer corners so probably one of those smoothing things cause of the edges running up and down to support the corner.

kling-pretos-vray-189a.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserwibbleBrandenbergsrspicer
    Solution? just remove the curve all together and create a funny angle on the back side allowing possible more detail? lol And yeah cause of the form and shape of the surrounding parts the corners introduced a pinch in the mesh so that curvature just created a shadow "crease" of sorts for the shadow core to deepen and make it stand out. Only other things I was able to do to correct it and not alter the reveal was to super soften the corner and that looked terrible. Though the render is kind of sucky as it puts the angled sides into shadow.

ok adjusted the exp control to lighten the contrast in the render.

kling-pretos-vray-190.jpg
    caveat_imperatorevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserBolianAdmiralwibbleBrandenbergsrspicer