Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BrandenbergBrandenberg2065 CaliforniaPosts: 2,206Member
    Let me add that if the Klingons had a fleet of your ships, I think the Federation wouldn't have made it very far. :3
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804751 Posts: 11,272Member
    I always marvel at all of the small details you put into your ships. Those are the things that make your work so phenomenal.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Larger tvs even if they are lighter are so bloody awkward to move about.

Yeah, they can be a real pain, especially if you have to move them by yourself.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish10161 Posts: 5,375Member
    hahah yeah, that and no where to grab, so your gripping the thing on the panel itself hoping you don't pinpoint too small of a spot. Thankfully I kept those odd plastic foam sticky bars the tv came with and the big ol sticky screen cover. But yeah even if it weighted 10lbs a 65 just needs another person to hang.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Filling in some of the plating. Only issue is the hull area near those disruptors some how isnt fully planar so when I cut into it it is made worse so it has all that wobble to it. SO gotta rebuild it or revert bits and correct the planar issues. Dunno how it happened but well gotta deal with it now pft. ALSO, considering deleting the 3 octagon kine things.

kling-pretos-vray-113.jpg

I could only wish to make a living off this stuff lol.
    StarCruiserBrandenbergLizzy777evil_genius_180rojrenRory1707wibblesrspicer
    The bottom is so interesting.
    Well repaired and planar eugh. Another thing that irks me in max is the added feature of chamfer auto smoothing you can set it to none whole object or chamfers only. Default it is whole object, just drives me nuts at how often I loose an entire objects smoothing groups because of this BS default. Sadly I do not think there is any way to change this crap to some other default. Needless to say when working on the wing panels I made a chamfer somewhere that fucked all the smoothing groups on the rest of the wing object. You can kinda see this smoothing issue in the A shaped panels "legs" as they are attempting to round over via smoothing vs having a hard edge. SIGH.

Anyhow you can see the patched in repair area and how I had to "thicken" the side edge to get planar faces. To get it sort of how it looked prior I wil have to step in plating to match up with the stuff around it. I have not chamfer rounded the chine yet, almost tempted not to and retain the angled look instead.

kling-pretos-vray-114.jpg

Lizzy777evil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserBrandenbergExcaliborRory1707wibblesrspicer
    Non planar faces are a pain. I also hate it when stuff mysteriously goes non planar. The fixed part looks good.

That smoothing default sounds like a real pain. :eyeroll:
  • rojrenrojren2553 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 2,002Member
    Can you re-write the button macro to add your choice of default?
    edited July 15 #3550
    Not a button or macro it is part of the chamfer edge UI. If you refer to using max script that isnt far from asking me to fly a helicopter.

cap of the element though I think i am running a script to make them NORMAL windows instead of that floating bubble shit max moved to that has no visual relation to anything else on the software.

chamferedges.jpg

UGH I fucking hate webp. . . . so no stock ui look image you gotta google it yourself.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    edited July 15 #3551
    Rounded off that hard edge and yasnked off those plates. Looking at how I will integrate that section back into the hull. Not happy with what I got so itll wait till tomorrow, well when I have time this evening.

kling-pretos-vray-115.jpg
    Also added some overhang plates to the torp tube base as I did not like that flat area. Dunno might delete that back bit and mull something else up too.

ok last render with a slight change to panels behind the turrets.

kling-pretos-vray-116.jpg
    BrandenbergStarCruiserRory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68ashleytingerwibblesrspicer
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Not a button or macro it is part of the chamfer edge UI. If you refer to using max script that isn't far from asking me to fly a helicopter.
    OK that made me laugh out loud. There is something similar in Lightwave where you can't chamfer or thicken something if there are other layers open. Sometimes you forget that you have more than one layer and you select something to thicken or chamfer and everything in all your open layers gets thickened or chamfered. Fortunately the undo works but if it is a lot of polygons, it can take 30 nail biting seconds. However, you're screwed if if you don't notice that there was something else that got mucked up and you discover it after doing a lot of other work. Been there, done that many times. I wish they would fix it or add a warning "Warning, you have more than one layer selected"

Looks super cool @MadKoiFish
    edited July 17 #3554
    Replacing some of the older plates around the impulse housings.

kling-pretos-vray-117.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-118.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerBrandenbergRory1707Lizzy777StarCruiserwibble
    Panels restored to those aft housings behind the disruptor cannons. (or whatever you wanna call those large horseshoe things)

kling-pretos-vray-126.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-127.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777StarCruiserBrandenbergwibblecaveat_imperator
    Side panels and holes.

kling-pretos-vray-130.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-131.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-132.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777rojrenStarCruiserBrandenbergRory1707wibblesrspicercaveat_imperatorashleytinger
    Interior details and likely a waste of time and polygons! lol. No idea what this room would be. Maybe a aft vip dining? conference room? More likely a possible waiting room for anyone coming in from the docking collar. Will be shifting internal wall colors about later on but will probably go the lighter tan and grays from the TMP era ships. Think st2 and st6. Anyhow most of the internal detail on the bits you can see from outside as usual.

kling-pretos-vray-133.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-134.jpg

Something I found odd is how often blue is used in the sets for light. Be it ambient or feature lighting. (blue tubes etc) So I might add a mess of them instead of the heavy red. Guess this is either memory or TNG era?
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserrojrenBrandenbergRory1707wibbleLizzy777srspicerExcaliborpubliusr
    So you mean blue light for the Klingon ship interiors or blue for Federation or both?
    The Klingons.
    edited July 19 #3560
    I guess I hadn't noticed. In my mind I always picture it dark and red but that doesn't mean it was dark and red. I'll have to watch for it now.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Some slight alterations, like dragging the back wall out like 15ft. . . . . heh also made a unique lighting mat that is a lot warmer. While most of the sets had these super warm lights most were seemingly accent vs main fixture but for outside views I need the boost of the larger fixtures to well, light the rooms enough to have them pop outside. Granted the hdri is a wip one and exposure of room lights will pop a lot more when using a composite render, and add in well compositing light passes will boost the lighting too.

kling-pretos-vray-136.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-137.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707wibbleBrandenbergsrspicerLizzy777
    Uh well this ridiculousness started out as just a emergency console interface, basically a wall trunk with laptop lids over the button decks. . . Well, it ended up as a huge wall console on either side of the room. FFFF oh well. I think I might make the floor a step down to these consoles too so there is more height. No clue what this room would be at this point just lots of junk to look at from outside lol.

kling-pretos-vray-138.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-139.jpg
    wibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180BrandenbergsrspicerRory1707Lizzy777Excaliborashleytinger
    I always like the way you shape your windows.
    BolianAdmiral
    I always like the way you shape your windows.

Agreed. It adds a lot of visual interest.
    BolianAdmiralBrandenbergpubliusr
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann741 Posts: 1,368Member
    I feel like that's part of the MadKoiFish look.
    BolianAdmiralBrandenbergpubliusr
    I feel like that's part of the @MadKoiFish look.
    One of his trademarks. As a modeler I say to myself, I WANT TO DO SOME WINDOWS LIKE THAT. But then it's sort of obvious where you got them from. :p

In some ways it can't be helped. I learn things from everyone on this site. Look and learn. B)
    Excalibor
    Eh, steal em, I mean I probably got the angled things from something else, been told they look a lot like star destroyer bridge windows.

As for the update I think it is a bit of fail getting too focused messing with pattern and not looking at the whole picture again so loads of heavy small panels that do not really fit. SO you probably wont be seeing them again.

kling-pretos-vray-144.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-145.jpg

wibbleExcaliborStarCruiserevil_genius_180BrandenbergRory1707caveat_imperatorashleytinger
    That thick plating ought to withstand considerable phaser fire.
    Redone upper section. Lower plates and larger segments. As it is rendering I shoulda bodged out that seam so it wasnt a long slit into more of a jaggy shape. Really odd is the smoothing feature seems broken on the curves of the main shape. Chamfering with 30* smoothing and those should all join as ONE group but nope each segment is smoothing as a separate group sheesh.

kling-pretos-vray-146.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-147.jpg
    Rory1707BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserBrandenberg
    New panels in that star pattern again but larger and not as thick. Still kinda meh about them but I dunno.

kling-pretos-vray-148.jpg
    kling-pretos-vray-149.jpg

I really gotta rebuild the impulse materials so the drives are lit up more. The hidden emissions plates have not been used lately as they seem to wash out too much and do nothing for intensity. So I will likely have to redo some elements in there to get more surface to work with, without having to crank a emissions material to ridiculous levels. Also still fighting the whole system as the way the stuff operates is nothing like MR as I could set a material color and separate emissions color, this allowed for replicating some visual results (be it camera or sensor/film sensitivity)
    evil_genius_180wibblecaveat_imperatorStarCruiserashleytingerBrandenbergRory1707
    edited July 22 #3571
    Red hot grills?

kling-pretos-vray-150.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-151.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-152.jpg
    wibbleStarCruiserashleytingerBrandenbergRory1707evil_genius_180rojren