Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
edited March 27 in Work in Progress #1
Hi, guys. It's been a while!
Here are some things I've been working on.

[Edit] can I change the title? Thought I'd turn it into a more focused thread.
Changing the title again!

guubxefan406.png

First up is my 1701. bqo1ug36kshy.png
dtq25npbnejs.png

And my try at a Galaxy Class
oxvello5zedj.png
ukjcdfmnuq82.png

And finally I want to show off my recent work on my 1701 Refit

zbtkdbs56709.png
37f2kwacvab7.png
qtkz5ztvt6ee.png
1r3uzso2qr2s.png

I couldn't find any tutorials on how to make this effect for the pearlescent hull. Turns out its as easy as taking a procedural brick texture and using it for base color variation, and through a color ramp set to full rainbow for the specular tint, and roughness to control where the shiny colors show up! You could change the brick texture to any texture and use a separate map for the specular tints, but for this build I want to do it all with procedural shaders.

hsicujpocgf9.jpg

and the result:

9n31fs20fuhs.png
7p5phoxq9gud.png

Post edited by backstept on
trekkievil_genius_180rojrenTallguyscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777RekkertBolianAdmiralwibbleand 7 others.
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice work
    backsteptscifieric
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    edited December 2022 #3
    OK, how do I edit my post? I am unfamiliar with this forum software.

Ah I figured it out :P
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some great work. The 1701 and 1701-D look fantastic. The refit looks great so far too, and that pearlescent effect is perfect. Great job figuring that out.
    backsteptscifieric
    Here's another ship inspired by the new Titan A

3gq50t4i7xc7.png
    3zvw8rz708hz.png
    z7qxpaxabf1c.png
    7qqiizbs1a60.png
    ashleytingerscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777RekkertBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180cool65MadKoiFishStarshipand 5 others.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    backstept wrote: »
    I couldn't find any tutorials on how to make this effect for the pearlescent hull. Turns out its as easy as taking a procedural brick texture and using it for base color variation, and through a color ramp set to full rainbow for the specular tint, and roughness to control where the shiny colors show up! You could change the brick texture to any texture and use a separate map for the specular tints, but for this build I want to do it all with procedural shaders.

hsicujpocgf9.jpg

Annnnd I'll just tuck that one away for later.
    backsteptscifiericPreViz
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    I actually did a ton of experimenting to get the correct pearlescent look on real life miniatures, as well as CG shaders. The paints used on the original studio model are known as "interference paints." When a specular highlight is not hitting them, they have one color, vs the compliment color when they are being hit with a highlight. I bought some of these real paints and airbrushed them onto a spare model piece to test them.

Note, I sprayed them VERY heavy so that I could get a good look at them, and you'd not want them this opaque on the Enterprise.

2DE3NZp.jpg

I made this quick reference chart for how to set your shader colors in CG. (sRGB, you'd need to linearlize them for a linear scene)

rTPBEDf.png

backsteptTallguyashleytingerscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777Rekkertevil_genius_180PreVizMadKoiFishand 2 others.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Here's another ship inspired by the new Titan A

My friend, you continue to demonstrate that you ALWAYS create astounding work! Well done!
    backstept
    edited December 2022 #9
    Thanks!

The new ship is my reimagining of my old Kelley class from back in the day.

Speaking of which... Here's the old one

5sjblps7bkvn.png

zsymbcy4bm6p.jpg

I'm pretty sure I lost all of my old truespace models a computer build or two ago. Man, I'd love to go back to those old models just to see how much I've learned since then!
    StarCruiserLizzy777Rekkertevil_genius_180scifiericcool65MadKoiFishLeoBerlinsrspicercaveat_imperatorand 2 others.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I actually did a ton of experimenting to get the correct pearlescent look on real life miniatures, as well as CG shaders. The paints used on the original studio model are known as "interference paints."

Fascinating! One can never have too much research in this hobby. Thanks for sharing!
    scifieric
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    I'm really liking the Kelley class, especially the rebooted version (although I really love the Excelsior-style nacelles better). I really love how the neck is flared out from behind!

What are the namesakes for the Temple and Kelley?
    backsteptscifieric
    The ship inspired by the Titan-A looks great. I especially like the nacelle design.
    backsteptscifiericJES
    JES wrote: »

McCoy actor DeForest Kelley and Temple is for a friend who passed a few years ago.
    scifiericJES
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    JES wrote: »

McCoy actor DeForest Kelley and Temple is for a friend who passed a few years ago.

Hah, I should have guessed the former! As for the latter: he must have been a dear friend of yours, and I acknowledge your loss. This is a fine tribute to your fallen friend.

I must echo Evil_Genius_180's sentiment regarding the newer nacelles. I have a weakspot for the Lost Era, but I just love the new (or older?) nacelles as well! I especially like the way that they taper towards the aft ends from underneath. But the way that the nacelle pylons flare out from the pair of impulse decks, and gently curve up and outwards is a chef's kiss. It just looks great from any angle!
    scifieric
    a7c8i027iuop.png
    olcc8qbq0gqs.png
    scifiericevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLeoBerlincaveat_imperatorJESwolfmanCptBenSisko
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Excellent work, and thanks for the shading guide, that's gonna come in handy.
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I actually did a ton of experimenting to get the correct pearlescent look on real life miniatures, as well as CG shaders. The paints used on the original studio model are known as "interference paints." When a specular highlight is not hitting them, they have one color, vs the compliment color when they are being hit with a highlight. I bought some of these real paints and airbrushed them onto a spare model piece to test them.

Note, I sprayed them VERY heavy so that I could get a good look at them, and you'd not want them this opaque on the Enterprise.

2DE3NZp.jpg

I made this quick reference chart for how to set your shader colors in CG. (sRGB, you'd need to linearlize them for a linear scene)

rTPBEDf.png

You are a gentleperson and a scholar, a steely eyed missile person
    BolianAdmiral
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    I kinda wonder what the enterprise D would look like all pearlescent textured like the A
    got the secondary hull roughed in

mdv0we9txicf.png
    p665zwgup3kj.png
    scifiericStarCruiserwibbleLizzy777evil_genius_180LeoBerlinsrspicercaveat_imperatorJES
    Decided which ship I'm actually making. I'm not aiming for total accuracy, so if I don't do Enterprise I can get away with a little more!

y5bz5j2loh0z.png
    rojrenscifiericwibbleStarCruiserlewisnivenLizzy777srspicercaveat_imperatorJESwolfmanand 1 other.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Beautiful work!
    backstept
    PYLONS! It looks like a whole ship now! All the major shapes are in, aside from the neck pod, and the shuttlebay.

ma5p30yymzbl.png
    wibbleashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180scifiericcaveat_imperatorJESwolfman
    Here's a comparison with the ol' gal herself. I can see I need to adjust the pearl colors, I have too much magenta in there and too saturated.

lnujvts4s0jk.jpg
    lewisnivenashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserPreVizevil_genius_180scifiericwibblecaveat_imperatorJESand 1 other.
    Decided which ship I'm actually making. I'm not aiming for total accuracy, so if I don't do Enterprise I can get away with a little more!

Maybe not total accuracy, but you're really close! I love it when people give some of the other ships in the fleet some love. Sure, we only saw the Enterprise, but there were a lot more Constitutions out there.
    scifieric
    8ezdk7u1cjwi.png
    7gblhhxmtoxd.png
    rojrenStarCruiserLizzy777PreVizevil_genius_180scifiericwibblecaveat_imperatorJESwolfman
    Little things here and there.
    I am absolutely loving working on this!

bwl1m6ql1794.png
    xrzd8ew14uec.png
    gtrkmrrt10lh.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180scifiericLeoBerlinwibblecaveat_imperatorJESwolfman
    You're doing fantastic work and whipping this thing out very quickly.
    backsteptscifieric
    edited December 2022 #28
    Last major things to do are the shuttle bay detail, secondary hull and neck panels, some panels on the saucer, pylon panels, windows, various signage, and lights!

yovfo2dang5k.png
    fftzu00dad1y.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180scifiericwibblecaveat_imperatorJES

I know! It's crazy! I don't think I've ever properly finished a model. Ever. I think I can attribute it to medication changes 🤣
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    I KNOW! In the time it's taken me to start on the bridge he's done the whole freaking ship!
    I know! It's crazy! I don't think I've ever properly finished a model. Ever. I think I can attribute it to medication changes 🤣

It's an amazing feeling, finishing a project. May the wind be at your back.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Tallguy wrote: »
    I KNOW! In the time it's taken me to start on the bridge he's done the whole freaking ship!

I don't know what's gotten into me!

First picture is sans-post processing

77iwi1dql018.png
    90r022ac2v93.png
    xeijamkgq8jy.png

rojrenevil_genius_180StarCruiserscifiericwibblesrspicercaveat_imperatorJES