Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• backsteptbackstept2061 Posts: 923Member
    edited December 2022 #62
    I think all I have left is to do room boxes and work out an animation for the shuttle bay door and animate the blinkies and a final scouring of the Christie's photos for a last detail pass!
    Post edited by backstept on
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    edited December 2022 #63
    IMAGE DUMP!
    my current phone background
    ommnyikt6aaq.png
    some dual monitor wallpapers
    y2gx7c1djrfq.png
    1dok8k6j5snr.png
    and working on interiors
    eaeazhg3ey8d.png
    fnmu6xxzcp06.png
    3jbv8iv9qmrq.png
    yh2srn8aqt0r.png
    trekkiashleytingerevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777rojrenMadKoiFishLeoBerlinscifiericand 6 others.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    This is very nice!
    scifieric
    Thanks!
    I added some lights for the rear nacelle registries. I have no idea where they put the lights on the filming model, and some of the lighting isn't exactly plausible as seen on screen, like the secondary hull forward pennants. I put lights in the front of the nacelles pointing down, but on screen it looks like a straight-on spotlight which is what Dennis Bailey's model does.
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    backstept wrote: »
    Thanks!
    I added some lights for the rear nacelle registries. I have no idea where they put the lights on the filming model, and some of the lighting isn't exactly plausible as seen on screen, like the secondary hull forward pennants. I put lights in the front of the nacelles pointing down, but on screen it looks like a straight-on spotlight which is what Dennis Bailey's model does.

If I remember right there were a lot of impossible floating lights to get the spotlights the way they wanted on the model with no real source for the lights. The secondary hull pennants are the biggest culprit
    TallguyStarCruiserscifieric
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    This is really lovely. It looks accurate enough but it also looks like yours, which is a great place to be.
    backsteptscifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Tallguy wrote: »
    This is really lovely. It looks accurate enough but it also looks like yours, which is a great place to be.
    thanks! I think if I wanted to get really accurate, I could, but it would take a very long time. Also it's Lexington, not Enterprise so I can easily justify and differences 😁
    I wanted to get this to a point where I could make some nice pictures and push myself a bit, and I think I've done that!
    scifieric
    You certainly have.
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    100% accuracy is really overrated. At the end of the day, it's yours and you can say that proudly. What you've done looks fantastic. I really like those interiors, they make the model really look alive.
    backsteptscifieric
    edited December 2022 #71
    I didn't do any sort of real detail on the interiors! I just have materials for walls, floors, and lights. The rest is just loop cuts and sometimes extrusions with materials on faces. Most of the saucer rim rooms are just 5 sided boxes. The most detailed is the lounge with all the glorious orange 70s couches.

At any scale where you normally see the ship, you'll never see if I did the Enterprise lineage plaques in the rec deck 😊

Which I haven't 😁
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerscifieric
    I usually just do boxes with a layered procedural for interiors. ;)
    scifieric
    edited December 2022 #73
    I made some 8K orthos if anyone is interested. Here's a onedrive link.
    7yrv8pzicq5v.png

Also, and updated link to my aztec shader.
    ashleytingerStarCruiserscifiericLizzy777Hunter GJES
    So freaking good!
    scifieric
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Thanks!

According to Viper, most of the lights are actually dental mirrors off screen aimed to give that "perfect" look. So nothing you saw on screen is accurate from TMP, however they dropped that in later movies, so with the exception of reused stock footage in TWOK, you should be able to use that movie onwards for screen accurate registry lighting.
    scifieric
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited December 2022 #76
    Yeah, in TMP they used dental mirrors to redirect the light. From TWOK onward, ILM used small spot lights. Either way, it's all fakery.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
    ki4uis2la493.png
    evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorashleytingerStarCruiserTallguyscifiericStarshipsrspicerHunter GLizzy777
    Yeah, in TMP they used dental mirrors to redirect the light. From TWOK onward, ILM used small spot lights. Either way, it's all fakery.

Simple tricks and nonsense.
    scifiericbackstept
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    She is beautiful !!
    backsteptscifieric
    edited January 2023 #80
    Some animations!

Lizzy777wibbleevil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserscifiericsrspicer
    When converting text to mesh you end up with horrible triangles, and getting it to shrinkwrap onto the hull usually doesn't end up well. I figured out after looking up some tutorials that adding a solidify and a remesh modifier I can turn it all into quads! Makes shrinkwrapping look so much better! Also subdivided the curve I wrap the text on so it makes a smoother fit. Also, also, extruded the grid lines in.

nebdr8boiadv.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Cowardscifiericcaveat_imperatorwibblexiaorobearLizzy777JES
    Looks great. I'll have to remember all of that when I add text to the ship I'm working on. Out of curiosity, how did you do the grid lines?
    scifieric
    Out of curiosity, how did you do the grid lines?
    when I made the saucer I made sure the spin resolution had a multiple of the grid lines, does that make sense? So I had an edge along each of the radial lines and a loop on each of the concentric lines. For the irregular grid on the bottom I added more loops where needed, after I applied the subd so I didn't mess the shape up. I added all the relevant edges to a vertex group in case I needed to select them again (which I did) then for a while I just had a 1 segment bevel with a darker material. Then today I selected those grid lines and inset slightly since I thought they were a bit too wide and extruded down a little bit,then beveled the edges.

Tallguyscifiericevil_genius_180
    when I made the saucer I made sure the spin resolution had a multiple of the grid lines, does that make sense? So I had an edge along each of the radial lines and a loop on each of the concentric lines. For the irregular grid on the bottom I added more loops where needed, after I applied the subd so I didn't mess the shape up. I added all the relevant edges to a vertex group in case I needed to select them again (which I did) then for a while I just had a 1 segment bevel with a darker material. Then today I selected those grid lines and inset slightly since I thought they were a bit too wide and extruded down a little bit,then beveled the edges.

So what you're saying is... Witchcraft? ;)

TallguyscifiericLizzy777
    That better text shrinkwrap method makes a world of difference!

yhcm1qjincd3.jpg
    ashleytingerTallguyscifiericcaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777srspicerseanrand 1 other.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Beautiful work!

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I was curious because I was doing some grid line work the other day using the Inset Faces tool. It's always nice to see other methods of doing things. :)
    scifieric
    edited January 2023 #88
    Most of today was spent on organizing objects into collections and renaming. No more random Cube.086 or random duplicate materials. Still gotta make some neat pictures though!

x5uecxl092ys.jpg
    x583ddbxetw6.jpg
    wibbleevil_genius_180scifiericrojrenLizzy777srspicerStarCruisercaveat_imperatorseanrJESand 1 other.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,285Member
    Wow.
    backstept
    Most of today was spent on organizing objects into collections and renaming. No more random Cube.086 or random duplicate materials.
    That's a little more fun than texturing. A little...
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Most of today was spent on organizing objects into collections and renaming. No more random Cube.086 or random duplicate materials. Still gotta make some neat pictures though!
    I'm sitting here in my den, reading through various posts and podcasts and came across your lovely renders. That second (lower) render (x583ddbxetw6.jpg) is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Wow!
    backstept