Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    edited September 2023 #3812
    "Now onto the LCARS, which given the amount of screens here might be the biggest challenge of this room..."
    @Rekkert I think no one would mind if a couple of the panels were in a standby mode, or running a cycle of something so are not in their active busy state :D
    Post edited by mdta on
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4038 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    edited September 2023 #3813
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! Yeah, the Defiant was intended to be destroyed during FC, and Ira Steven Behr had to put a stop to that, but the Sovereign was never intended to appear outside of the movies, producers thought doing so could "confuse viewers". Same reason why the Intrepid never appeared in the movies or DS9 in the background, and writers had to go to great lengths to make producers happy about the USS Bellerophon in DS9, just so they could save money and reuse the Voyager sets.

Still, the amounts of internal politics during EVERY era of Trek was insane, wish I could share the stuff I read and hear speaking with the folks involved at work.

@BolianAdmiral: So do I, but of course I'd say that. :p

@Warp Propulsion Laboratory: Thanks very much!

@mdta: Heh, I already have it easy enough not having to do animations, so at least I want to do the static screens properly. ;)

Started with some small LCARS and then tackled the glass panel today, as I wanted to confirm how readable it was or if I'd have to remove it.

I based the graphic on a similar one from the Defiant engineering. I decided I wanted the ship to be pointing forward from both sides, so only the information displayed at the sides flips. The glass itself is tinted to ease with readability, otherwise the writing from the other side makes it way too confusing.

For the bottom part of the graphic I'm just reusing the random numbers they used on the alternate Enterprise-D bridge from 'Parallels' where this glass partition was used.

tadeo-d-oria-c19-01.jpg?1695959706
    tadeo-d-oria-c18-04.jpg?1695959700
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    trekkivfxartcaveat_imperatormdtaBolianAdmiralLizzy777DoctorShmullusashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180and 6 others.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Loving the displays so far.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! Yeah, the Defiant was intended to be destroyed during FC, and Ira Steven Behr had to put a stop to that, but the Sovereign was never intended to appear outside of the movies, producers thought doing so could "confuse viewers". Same reason why the Intrepid never appeared in the movies or DS9 in the background, and writers had to go to great lengths to make producers happy about the USS Bellerophon in DS9, just so they could save money and reuse the Voyager sets.

Still, the amounts of internal politics during EVERY era of Trek was insane, wish I could share the stuff I read and hear speaking with the folks involved at work.

It amazes me how little they think of their viewers. They thought we might think Sovereign class ships were the Enterprise and Intrepid class ships were the Voyager, so they left them out so we wouldn't be confused. Yet, they had SWARMS of Galaxy class ships. If they think we're so friggin' stupid, weren't they worried we'd be like "Hey, wasn't that ship destroyed in Generations?" :eyeroll: Though, I also know that's the truth. Alex Jaeger designed way more than four ships for the Borg battle in FC, but some designs were discarded because the shapes were too similar to the Enterprise-E. And the Galaxy class was left out of the battle specifically for the reason mentioned above.

As for internal politics, I think some of us are better off not knowing. I know I am.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertBolianAdmiral
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    It amazes me how little they think of their viewers. They thought we might think Sovereign class ships were the Enterprise and Intrepid class ships were the Voyager, so they left them out so we wouldn't be confused. Yet, they had SWARMS of Galaxy class ships. If they think we're so friggin' stupid, weren't they worried we'd be like "Hey, wasn't that ship destroyed in Generations?" :eyeroll: Though, I also know that's the truth. Alex Jaeger designed way more than four ships for the Borg battle in FC, but some designs were discarded because the shapes were too similar to the Enterprise-E. And the Galaxy class was left out of the battle specifically for the reason mentioned above.

As for internal politics, I think some of us are better off not knowing. I know I am.

Not to mention the whole "Constitution/Constellation" fiasco. I don't think a single viewer would have mistaken the Stargazer for the Enterprise. Though in the end it was for the best since we got a "new" class of starship.

The more I look at the vertical MSD, the more it makes sense over the pool table. Especially in a smaller engine room.

Rekkertevil_genius_180
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Added a bunch more rectangles and circles and stuff to make the glass divider graphic more busy, I'm calling it done now. I started with the remaining LCARS keyboards but it's taking me a while as the space there is really limited so I'm doing several new elements, I'll show it properly when I have it further along.

Rewatching some Voy scenes I noticed the Jefferies junction door on engineering is a bit shorter than the standard doors, not reaching the floor. This makes sense as it was that way in TNG as well, but I never noticed it before on Voyager, so I adjusted the Jefferies junction door here to match.

Finally, I increased the intensity of the new rectangular ceiling light fixtures. Because of their warm color they balance out the blues from the warp core, giving the room a more neutral tone, and obviously making it overall more lit which was my main intention.

tadeo-d-oria-c21-01.jpg?1696059630
    tadeo-d-oria-c20-01.jpg?1696059626
    tadeo-d-oria-c22-01.jpg?1696059635
    trekkiDoctorShmullusevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorBolianAdmiralLizzy777and 2 others.

Not to mention the whole "Constitution/Constellation" fiasco. I don't think a single viewer would have mistaken the Stargazer for the Enterprise. Though in the end it was for the best since we got a "new" class of starship.

The more I look at the vertical MSD, the more it makes sense over the pool table. Especially in a smaller engine room.

Indeed, they wouldn't have confused it with the movie Enterprise. But there were other reasons for the switch. One was that NOBODY wanted to deal with the extremely large and heavy Enterprise refit filming model. That model got a reputation over the years for being hard to deal with. The other main reason was that Probert and Sternbach campaigned hard to have their design used for the ship. I don't know if confusion with the movie Enterprise was used as a reason, but it may have been. I think they were trying to use anything they could to get their design used.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkert
    Slowly but surely doing more of the LCARS...

tadeo-d-oria-c23-01.jpg?1696199855
    tadeo-d-oria-c24-01.jpg?1696199861
    tadeo-d-oria-c25-01.jpg?1696199865
    caveat_imperatorWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRory1707trekkivfxartBolianAdmiralDoctorShmullusStarCruiserPreVizevil_genius_180and 3 others.
    Looking great so far. I'll bet doing all of the LCARS are as much work as the modeling, if not more.
    Rekkert
  • PreVizPreViz339 Posts: 14Member
    When it comes to LCARS, do you do vector graphics or?
    Rekkert
  • mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
    Man, I'm loving the wall paneling details on this one. So, so great.
    Rekkert
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! In this case yeah, the LCARS are more work than the modeling, I should've done the screens smaller :lol:

@PreViz: Yes, all vectors on Inkscape :)

@mishasiegfried: Thanks!

Did the LCARS for the two small consoles by the warp core, based on similar Voyager displays.
    tadeo-d-oria-c26-01.jpg?1696396756
    BolianAdmiralRory1707DoctorShmullusPreVizevil_genius_180ashleytingerraztovWarp Propulsion LaboratorywibbleStarCruiserand 3 others.
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! In this case yeah, the LCARS are more work than the modeling, I should've done the screens smaller :lol:

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I like the idea of doing interiors, but it's the thought of doing all of the screens that always stops me.
    @PreViz: Yes, all vectors on Inkscape :)

It's always nice to see Inkscape get a shout out. I love that program. :)
    PreVizRekkert
  • paulbhartzogpaulbhartzog345 Posts: 31Member
    edited October 2023 #3824
    Sorry if I missed an earlier explanation, but I was reading in this thread that you had redone your website and in particular there were links to Cerberus, Yeager, and Emmet Till, but those are were gone from tadeodoria.com the next day and are still missing (Edit: not gone, just not where the links are pointing to). Hopefully you are just finishing them off and are going to put them back up. Yes ?

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know, in case you weren't aware. :-)

Edit: Well, this is interesting. I did find them, but not at the urls that those links point to; I just dug around the site until I found them.
    Post edited by paulbhartzog on
    Rekkert
    @paulbhartzog: Heh, been modifying the website over the weekend, you just commented before I had a chance to mention it :lol:

Took a rest from the Budapest engineering for a bit, though I'll be back at it soon. After looking at some data and thinking about where I wanted to take things, I modified my website quite a bit (again). First, I removed the full lists with all the ships listed alphabetically and chronologically. I thought they'd be more useful for people, but from analytics I can see they aren't very used, and they're a pain to maintain because of how ArtStation does things.

Instead of having individual pages for each ship, I now have them for each starship class. This way if I have, say, multiple Excelsior-class ships listed, they all share a single place on the menu, under which they'll each have their little text descriptions and interiors. Plus it allows me to incorporate a single class description at the top. Plus this is easier to identify for most people, "Akira Class" is simply more well known that "USS Thunderchild", and so on. I took this chance not only to write descriptions for each class of ship I'm featuring, but also to do another pass at each ship and each interior's accompanying text, so it was a lot of work writing it all hahah.

The drive for this change is that I intend to do several "quick redresses" relatively soon, for example taking the Potemkin interiors and redressing them for a TMP era Excelsior-class, that sort of thing.

Unrelated to the website, and going back to the USS Budapest, working on its engineering room made me reconsider some aspects of its bridge, so today I did some modifications to it. Most notably I just moved the dedication plaque to a new area and added alert status indicators flanking the egress doors. Plus I changed the circuitry access panels (seen at the right on these renders) with the new version I did for engineering, which is more accurate to how they looked on Voyager. You can see more renders (and read up on the ship) in the new Norway Class page. :D

Old:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-00.jpg?1696836989

New:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1696836996
    Rory1707lennier1Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180raztovMadKoiFishBolianAdmiralStarCruiserDoctorShmulluscaveat_imperatorand 4 others.
  • Rory1707Rory1707233 Posts: 238Member
    Love the new modifications to the bridge! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Rekkert, your interiors are just absolutely epic! 😁👍👍👍
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I love it. As I’ve said, you’ve really made the Voyager interior look work for me.
    Rekkert
    @Rory1707: Glad you do!

@calamity_si: Thanks mate! :+1:

@BolianAdmiral: Haha, they still don't work for me, but I'm glad at least they do to you. :p

Finished the MSD for the front end of the room. Its layout is based on the Defiant engineering MSD, so it has the cutaway at the top with more displays below it.
    tadeo-d-oria-onelittleship-740.jpg?1697694725

In this case however, I replicated two elements from Voyager's LCARS for the bottom. And I took the chance to rework the cutaway graphic itself, adding more details (Voy-style warp core, type-6 shuttles on the bay, turbolift shafts, etc.) and more text entries around it. I'll replicate this on the bridge MSD next time I render it.
    tadeo-d-oria-c27-01.jpg?1697694299
    PreVizDoctorShmullusevil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratorywibble
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    @Rory1707: Glad you do!

@calamity_si: Thanks mate! :+1:

@BolianAdmiral: Haha, they still don't work for me, but I'm glad at least they do to you. :p

Finished the MSD for the front end of the room. Its layout is based on the Defiant engineering MSD, so it has the cutaway at the top with more displays below it.
    tadeo-d-oria-onelittleship-740.jpg?1697694725

In this case however, I replicated two elements from Voyager's LCARS for the bottom. And I took the chance to rework the cutaway graphic itself, adding more details (Voy-style warp core, type-6 shuttles on the bay, turbolift shafts, etc.) and more text entries around it. I'll replicate this on the bridge MSD next time I render it.
    tadeo-d-oria-c27-01.jpg?1697694299
    Awesome job!

Glad you didn't take the first MSD for inspiration (the chubby "Valiant" stage). :D
    c0bnf7ch95cv.png

evil_genius_180Rory1707Rekkert
    @lennier1: lol, that graphic... I have things to say about it, but you'll have to wait until next year ;)

Finished the two remaining LCARS panels! These were something different than usual because they're vertical rather than horizontal, which we didn't see very often in this style.

Also, I slightly tweaked the MSD yet again, reducing the number of warp coils to match the graphic on the glass panel.

tadeo-d-oria-c28-01.jpg?1697865200
    tadeo-d-oria-c29-01.jpg?1697865208
    evil_genius_180rojrenBolianAdmiralashleytingerStarCruiservfxartDoctorShmullusRory1707Lizzy777wibble
    And here are all the finished renders!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1697927720
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1697927727
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1697927733
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1697927739
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1697927745
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1697927751
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1697927757
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1697927763
    tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg?1697927768
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-budapest-engineering-cutaway.jpg?1697927773
    lennier1raztovevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralashleytingerStarriggerDoctorShmullusStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777and 2 others.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Man, I just love how you nailed the essence of the Voyager engineering set and still gave it its own personality.
    And nice job injecting some DNA from the concept drawings for the Voyager set.
    2axxntisbqgi.png
    evil_genius_180StarriggerStarCruiserRory1707wibbleRekkert
    That looks great, like your interiors always do. It's also nice to see the Norway class getting some love. Since the CGI model was corrupted when they went to convert it for use on DS9, that's a ship that really hasn't seen a lot of screen time. But, I've always liked it.
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Really nice work! Even with the Voyager color palette you make it feel warm and inviting.
    wibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Excellent!
    Rekkert
    Outstanding!!!!! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    edited November 2023 #3838
    Glad you all liked the engineering set!

@lennier1: I intend to do that concept piece as Appalachia's engineering one day. I didn't consciously draw inspiration from it here, but with the raised ceiling I definitely see the similarities now.

Remember the USS Yeager ready room? Work on it was finished, but I was waiting for a 3D render I commissioned from Angelos Karderinis to be complete. In the meantime Blender 4.0 released so I tweaked the lights and materials with the new goodies, and rendered it with the new AgX View Transform rather than the old Filmic.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1700511740
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1700511747
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1700511752
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1700511757
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-yeager-ready-room-cutaway.jpg?1700511762

And here's Angelos' piece in full glory, I'm super happy with how it turned out!
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-11-20-16-08-41.jpg?1700507332
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    lennier1xiaorobearrojrenraztovStarCruiserevil_genius_180DoctorShmullusashleytingerLizzy777Rory1707and 3 others.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Love it!
    Rekkert
    That ready room is gorgeous. I love that render for the picture above the desk, it really makes the room pop.
    Rekkert
    Absolutely Beautiful!
    Rekkert