Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4038 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    edited September 2023 #3782
    @DoctorShmullus: Thanks!

@evil_genius_180: Indeed, there's enough space there for the monitor to open, though I would imagine if the Captain decided to place it there, it's in an "off" state, so it won't open on its own. Still, the option is there.

@Rory1707: Thanks mate!

@BolianAdmiral: The lighting fixture between the two windows is based on the Challenger ready room design, and it matches the fixture used on the Enterprise-E and thus also the Yeager. That being said, I am already considering a redress of this ready room for the Budapest, with exactly that Voyager style curved window. :)

tadeo-d-oria-timeless-221.jpg?1695257750

@Mustang13Camaro68: lol, it's just something he's doing in his free time, not a licensed thing and I doubt it'll be sold. I think he's planning on having it available for free.

The Yeager ready room is finished for now, like I said before I am commissioning a painting of the ship for the frame above the desk, but that likely won't be ready for about a month, so I'm moving to other projects for now.

Another room I started... oh god more than a year ago... is the main engineering for the USS Budapest. Like the bridge, it's on the style of Voyager, but smaller. Originally my problem with this room was that I couldn't settle on a layout for it, I went back and forth making it too big, then too small. I revisited it today and was finally able to have a happy medium I think, so I'm forcing myself to settle on this layout and start working on the details.

Obviously things are very early, but all the main pieces are there, there's no second level or anything like that. I intend to replace the chairs with smaller, more appropriate stools (probably the ones Voyager had on Astrometrics and Sickbay). Feedback and ideas of course very much welcome.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-01.jpg?1695257742
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-02.jpg?1695257747
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    ashleytingerRory1707DoctorShmullusevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777PreVizwibble
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Sunk a couple more hours into it today, a lot of additions all around. The warp core now how as a (still in progress) plasma texture underneath the glass; both the floor and ceiling on the core area got detailed; added lights above the wall consoles and blue ambient lighting underneath them; created an opening on the ceiling for lighting and to better frame the core from the entrances; and tweaked several of the meshes all around.

(I'm still bothered by the lack of an intermix chamber and plasma conduits in the Voyager warp core :lol:)

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1695319930
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-02.jpg?1695319943
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1695319952
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1695319957
    Rory1707DoctorShmullusWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777PreVizashleytingerwibbleand 1 other.
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    Loving the progress! I much prefer the MSD display at the end of the room rather than the wide doors used in the Voyager Main Engineering. Always looked a bit odd in my opinion
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Ah, good catch… I didn’t notice that on the Challenger. I like the pillars adjacent to the warp core… it almost makes the core seem enclosed, which is actually something I’m considering for the Frontier’s warp core… having the core itself surrounded by an enclosure of transparent aluminum, with just one section open for the engineers to access it from. I like that this one also keeps the Voyager aesthetic.
    Rekkert
    edited September 2023 #3786
    @DoctorShmullus: Thanks! I agree, the large entrance on Voyager had a lot of wasted space in my opinion.

@BolianAdmiral: Yeah I'm considering whether to add rails directly on these pillars, I certainly won't be adding the circular handrail that was around Voyager's core, it never really fit the style to me.

Added details to the walls flanking the core, plus a turbolift door on the port side; I had also added a ladder to that area but I didn't like how it looked so I took it out. I replaced the chairs by HAG Capiscos, which were used on the Enterprise-E engineering so it fits with the Budapest bridge having Enterprise-E chairs.

Like I said yesterday, I never liked the lack of plasma conduits in the Voyager warp core, so I had an idea to have them running under the floor, with the intermix chamber located directly below the deck. I still have to add more detail to this, but the idea's there, thoughts?

Also, I'm playing with the idea of adding the glass divider from the Enterprise-A engineering (also seen on the Enterprise-D bridge from 'Parallels') as a replacement for the usual "pool table". I'm not entirely sold on this, but I kinda like how it looks framed by the raised ceiling. What do you think?

tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1695432424
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1695432408
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1695432419
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1695432414
    evil_genius_180Rory1707Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777DoctorShmullus
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like how you hinted at the plasma conduits in the floor. I never noticed that Voyager doesn't have them. I'm going have to watch some episodes now.
    Rekkert
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Oh yeah, the glass divider actually works real well in engineering.
    Rekkert
    I can’t get over that beautiful brushed nickel look to the core housing. How did you get that effect to look so good.
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Love the conduit's in the floor. Makes it easier to have them explode for the big screen too!
    Rekkert
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    Having the conduits run under the floor was genius! It frames the back of the room really well. At first I was a bit unsure about the glass divider but I’m sold now, it makes the area more cramped but that works well with the utilitarian feel of the Budapest.
    Rekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I like the conduits in the floor as well, although I think it's awkward that they just end at the wall. Maybe there should be access panels? Grating over the conduits would be useful as well. I'm loving the intimate, utilitarian feel of this engine room.
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    edited September 2023 #3793
    @evil_genius_180: Yeah, Voyager's engineering was designed without them because production designer Richard James wanted the crew to be able to walk around the warp core with the camera following them, for more dynamic shots. I guess I understand that but they could've added them to the second floor or something.

@BlueNeumann: Glad you think so!

@BolianAdmiral: It's not a particularly complex material, but I added some radial anisotropy to it to better match what was on set.

@ashleytinger: lol, that's the most important aspect! :joy:

@DoctorShmullus: Thanks! Yeah I'm worried about it being so cramped, it's hard to get good angles to render the room at, between the glass divider and the columns around the core; but I like the look.

@Warp Propulsion Laboratory: Yes, I intend to add details on those walls to indicate the conduits continuing below them.

Added a small metallic grate texture on top of all the floor lights, just as the Voyager ones had. I tested some sort of elevated grate for crew members to walk on above the plasma conduits, similar to these on the Defiant, but I didn't like how any of them looked.

I reversed the colors on the aft walls, so the plasma conduits now end on dark walls, with a lighter segment at the center (you'll notice it was the other way around on the previous renders). I intend to add detailing on these darker walls to indicate some sort of engine component on top of the plasma conduits.

On the remaining empty wall opposite the door I added yesterday, I placed two standing consoles which were used all through TNG and on Voyager's engineering. I've been meaning to model these ages ago, but I never did, so now they're finally done. I obviously plan to now use them on several TNG era ships going forward.

tadeo-d-oria-c09-01.jpg?1695542344
    tadeo-d-oria-c10-01.jpg?1695542349
    tadeo-d-oria-c11-01.jpg?1695542357
    DoctorShmullusevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180: Yeah, Voyager's engineering was designed with them because production designer Richard James wanted the crew to be able to walk around the warp core with the camera following them, for more dynamic shots. I guess I understand that but they could've added them to the second floor or something.

Right, because they did those dynamic walkaround shots so often. :tongue: I watched a couple episodes on Paramount+ and they imply a lower level. At one point, I think when they're fixing the warp core after the ship is pulled to the Delta Quadrant, the camera is looking up through that gap between the floor and the warp core. So, I guess the intermix chamber is supposed to be down there. For lack of a better option, I'd go with that. When they ejected the core, there was definitely something that looks like it could be an intermix chamber below the glowy part.

mt386ae8yx6q.jpg
    BolianAdmiralDoctorShmullusStarCruiserRory1707PreVizRekkert
    edited September 2023 #3795
    @evil_genius_180: Yep, there was clearly a lower level there on the set, which makes sense as it was the TNG engineering set just heavily redressed, so the whole room was raised above ground level. Sadly on Voyager it wasn't seen very clearly, other than through that gap between the core and the floor. I've replicated that same style here. The episode 'Projections' has some of the best references of engineering, and it includes that shot through the floor from 'Caretaker'.
    As for the ejected core model, there was sadly nothing there. I've seen closeups of the mesh, it's just a bunch of thinner cylinders both above and bellow the two blue plasma elements we do see in engineering, and it doesn't even match with the conical shape at the bottom from the set.

More details around the core area. Yesterday I modeled some random greebles from Voy's engineering, seen best in the aforementioned 'Projections', and added those to the wall where the warp plasma conduits end, alongside some random detailing. I've also added some plastic dividers below the seated consoles next to the warp core, similar to those on Voyager.

Other than some light fixtures for the lower ceiling around the core, a pattern for the carpet, and other miscellaneous bits, I think the modeling's done. Am I missing something?

tadeo-d-oria-c10-02.jpg?1695659841
    tadeo-d-oria-c12-01.jpg?1695659851
    StarCruiserwibbleDoctorShmullusashleytingerBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777PreVizWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 1 other.
    That looks fantastic
    Rekkert
    edited September 2023 #3797
    You know, when Voyager first came out, I wasn’t really sold on the look of the interiors, after seven years of the warm colors and supple materials of the 1701-D interiors… I felt Voyager’s interiors felt too plasticky and pre-fab, and I didn’t care for the dark colors. But seeing the things that YOU’VE been able to do with the entire aesthetic has made me really, REALLY, like it… it just feels like it can totally work on any ship, no matter the size.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    Rekkert
    edited September 2023 #3798
    @ashleytinger: Thanks!

@BolianAdmiral: Funny you should say that, I still quite dislike this aesthetic myself lol. It's the only 'Berman era' production without Herman Zimmerman as production designer, and that difference shows.

It was pointed out to me that on Voyager the blue lines on the floor going from the warp core to the front and back of engineering were meant to be the plasma streams, or at least they were used that way in 'Investigations'. Personally I think this is extremely silly, as either engineering would have to be rotated 90° from the agreed upon layout, or the plasma goes on a little tour around the ship before going to the nacelles. Anyway, I still thought it might look better to do the plasma conduits in this style, so that's what I did.

I also added some more details to the standing consoles at the side of the core, plus edited the material of the matter stream on the core itself, I think it looks better now.

On the walls where the plasma streams end, I replaced the bottom square-ish panel with a simpler mesh of straight vertical lines. The two remaining ones now have slightly different patterns of black tape, and they're mirrored on the other side of the warp core. All these changes make them now better match how they look on Voyager.

tadeo-d-oria-c3-02.jpg?1695693968
    tadeo-d-oria-c16-01.jpg?1695693987
    tadeo-d-oria-c14-01.jpg?1695693974
    tadeo-d-oria-c15-01.jpg?1695693981
    evil_genius_180Rory1707BolianAdmiralLizzy777PreVizDoctorShmullusashleytingerwibbleStarCruiserWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 1 other.
    That looks great. You really nailed that "small ship" look with that engine room.
    You know, when Voyager first came out, I wasn’t really sold on the look of the interiors, after seven years of the warm colors and supple materials of the 1701-D interiors… I felt Voyager’s interiors felt too plasticky and pre-fab, and I didn’t care for the dark colors. But seeing the things that YOU’VE been able to do with the entire aesthetic has made me really, REALLY, like it… it just feels like it can totally work on any ship, no matter the size.

The whole thing of Voyager was that they intentionally wanted to do something that didn't replicate the look of TNG. The Enterprise was intended to show how Starfleet made ships of exploration in the 24th century as luxurious as they were powerful. In fact, if you've seen Andrew Probert's design drawings, what you saw on the show as actually scaled back compared to the luxurious sets he had planned. But what we got was intended to show a state of the art ship that was gone from Federation space for years and that allowed the crew to be as comfortable as possible during their long mission.

By contrast, the general idea for Voyager was that it wasn't a ship of exploration, but a ship that went out for much shorter missions, so crew comforts were scaled back. It was also intended to show that Starfleet could match the power of the Galaxy class in a much smaller ship. Everything about the ship is intended to look less luxurious and inviting. The corridors and rooms look more cramped and the cooler colors make it look more drab and militaristic. So, you were intended to notice a difference because they intentionally wanted to show you a different side of Starfleet than you were used to seeing on TNG.
    Rekkert
    I’m only guessing, of course, but MAYBE the reason they put the stream into the floor is because I know in at least ONE episode of TNG, one of the Engineers had to physically duck under the stream part to get around it, so maybe they did that to avoid it? IDK.
    Rekkert
    edited September 2023 #3801
    The problem with all of that is that the sets are bigger in every dimension than the TNG sets, because producers of course wanted to go bigger. Plus while looking all grey and modular, the ship was meant to be a science vessel (the first descriptions are "Next Generation Grissom"). So in essence they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

If the sets were a smaller size (or at the very least same size as in TNG), and there was just a bit more color other than grey, I think it could work very well. Alas, it's not what we got.
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    That's one of the things that's always off putting about Voyager for me. As I said, one of the premises was to show a much smaller but still powerful ship, yet they made the interiors so large. I know they were trying to save money, but I don't think they did themselves any favors by simply redressing the Enterprise sets.

And you can actually tell that it's a science vessel. (Of course, anyone who has played Star Trek online knows ;)) That's the best explanation for Starfleet having a ship that can navigate the badlands. A science vessel would need to be able to go into areas like that for scientific studies. Also, Janeway was a scientist. Promoting a scientist to captain a science vessel makes sense.
    RekkertRory1707
    I think the closest they got to 'cramped' on Voyager was for the Nova class ships and even then the bridge on the Equinox was MASSIVE.
    evil_genius_180Rekkert
    Unfortunately, one very real world reason that they don't do "cramped" very well is that they need space to set up the cameras and other equipment for filming. If they make the interior sets too small, then they have to do a lot of extra work for that. Imagine how much time they had to spend moving set pieces to set up that equipment for the Defiant interiors. Luckily for them, the Defiant wasn't the primary filming location for DS9, the station was. Voyager was also the primary filming location, so they would have faced challenges filming every single episode in a ship with small sets.
    BolianAdmiral
    edited September 2023 #3805
    And you can actually tell that it's a science vessel. (Of course, anyone who has played Star Trek online knows ;)) That's the best explanation for Starfleet having a ship that can navigate the badlands. A science vessel would need to be able to go into areas like that for scientific studies. Also, Janeway was a scientist. Promoting a scientist to captain a science vessel makes sense.
    Right, but what I meant is that even you called the style "more militaristic", but that doesn't fit the ship at all. They went with it because they thought it looked cool, not because it fitted.
    I think the closest they got to 'cramped' on Voyager was for the Nova class ships and even then the bridge on the Equinox was MASSIVE.
    Yeah, I'm still bothered by the reuse of the Excelsior bridge for a glorified Oberth... :joy:
    Unfortunately, one very real world reason that they don't do "cramped" very well is that they need space to set up the cameras and other equipment for filming. If they make the interior sets too small, then they have to do a lot of extra work for that. Imagine how much time they had to spend moving set pieces to set up that equipment for the Defiant interiors. Luckily for them, the Defiant wasn't the primary filming location for DS9, the station was. Voyager was also the primary filming location, so they would have faced challenges filming every single episode in a ship with small sets.
    That's actually not as much of a consideration as you might think, and from recollections I've heard at work often larger sets were the hardest to film at. All sets had wild walls that needed to be removed for filming pretty much any angle. TV cameras had a very narrow field of view, so they had to be placed rather further back than you imagine for filming. No matter how large or small a set was, walls were constantly removed and rearranged.
    BolianAdmiral
    Right, but what I meant is that even you called the style "more militaristic", but that doesn't fit the ship at all. They went with it because they thought it looked cool, not because it fitted.

Reasons aside, it does look more militaristic. There are, after all, military scientists.

Everything Starfleet after TNG took that kind of turn, from the ships to the uniforms. TNG started with no real threats to the Federation. The Cardassian war was over, the Klingons were allies and the Romulans were behind their borders. Not many other species posted a credible threat to the Federation. Then the Romulans came back and the threat of the Borg presented itself. After the initial contact with the Borg, Starfleet started shifting more towards weapons and ships with greater combat abilities. (this was mentioned in The Best of Both Worlds) That continued in earnest after Wolf 359. Add in the threat of the Dominion and Starfleet got very militaristic. Civilians were taken off of ships and the ships themselves got sleeker and better armed. In Insurrection, Picard even asks "Does anyone remember when we were explorers?" Voyager was born of that era. So, no matter its purpose, it is a product of the more militaristic age of the latter half of the 24th century.

It would actually be interesting to know if that was even a consideration of the producers, or if it really was just because they thought the color scheme looked "cool." But, it does make sense.
  • seanrseanr1123 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    @Rekkert if you're interested in my warp plasma material, let me know. It has the advantage of being light emitting and is of course entirely procedural. BTW, love that you included this creature in the middle: https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/067/470/130/large/tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1695432414 :)
    @evil_genius_180: Sure, I get what you mean, and I agree with the different tone in-universe, but it still stems from a known lack of cohesion in the vision of what Voyager was meant to be from the creatives and executives involved. There was no in-universe consideration, Richard James was responsible and actively pushed for the militaristic look of the interiors because he liked it, he said so himself in multiple interviews.

Also, development on Voyager (the show, not the ship lol) was done before the Dominion were even conceived in DS9. It's funny how Trek in many ways created the modern "cinematic universe" yet did it entirely by accident and with very few pieces of actual coordinated efforts between the shows and movies.

@seanr: Thanks, but I'm quite happy with how I got the warp core looking. :) I based it on the late Voyager version of the effect, which is different from the earlier TMP-style one. Plus, this is also achieved with a light emitting procedural material.

Obviously not much time to work on this during the weekdays, but I got the ceiling lights and carpet pattern in place today. Now onto the LCARS, which given the amount of screens here might be the biggest challenge of this room...

tadeo-d-oria-c3-03.jpg?1695778199
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-03.jpg?1695778210
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1695778194
    tadeo-d-oria-c17-01.jpg?1695778215
    evil_genius_180Rory1707BolianAdmiralPreVizDoctorShmullusashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarCruiserwibblecaveat_imperator
    You always do nice carpet.
    Also, development on Voyager (the show, not the ship lol) was done before the Dominion were even conceived in DS9.

Yes, I know. Development began during TNG's last season, and DS9 was in its second season. The Dominion were hinted at early in the second season, but likely more as an evolving idea, rather than as what they would eventually become. In fact, the buildup to the reveal of the Dominion is one of my favorite parts of season 2. I was just mentioning them in the history as to the reasons for the military build-up in Starfleet. The actual reasoning in the time frame of Voyager's development would have been the threat of the Borg. Even the return of the Romulans didn't have that drastic of an effect.
    It's funny how Trek in many ways created the modern "cinematic universe" yet did it entirely by accident and with very few pieces of actual coordinated efforts between the shows and movies.

Yep, and all so that they could keep Star Trek on the air. And, in the case of Voyager, so they could start that network that they tried to start back in the 1970s. Of course, they also had a lot of the same people working on at least two of the three shows and, of course, actors worked on all three, both guest stars and main series actors. It was all really well done, to the point where you'd almost think there was more cooperation than there really was. It definitely wasn't all great behind the scenes. I'm sure you know there was tension, especially between the TNG movie producers and the TV producers. For example, the producers of First Contact wanted to destroy the Defiant in the Battle of Sector 001, but the producers of DS9 were like: "NO!" :lol: That caused tension that led to the Enterprise-E never appearing on the show. They did, of course, have to begrudgingly give the people on DS9 the files for the other ships from the FC Borg battle, because the studio told them they had to. It's a shame they were such a-holes about it, the Sovereign class CGI model would have looked great in the Dominion War battle scenes.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    I like this engineering set better than Voyager's, lol.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Your engineering room is giving me that "I want to be there" feeling.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift