Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited April 2020 #872
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I would follow the 3d orthos of the actual filming model over any drawings official or not.
    Are those the images you directed me to? I am not sure if those are of the original filming model.
    Deflector looked a lot like a blue version of what we got on the SOV.
    SOV? I know I should be able to think what this abbreviation means but I'm dull on it right now.
    I do hope the harder edged struts are a permanent element or something similar to it. The originals organic form just clashed too much with all the flat areas and hard shapes elsewhere.
    Are you talking about the struts in the indented portion of the nose? Or the Pylons to the engines?
    Issues with detachable this that and the moon means at some point all your interior space is all bulkheads and redundant engineering and support spaces. All the benefits of this design would be solved with a squad of ships or a carrier with medium sized aux craft. Such as 50 runabouts all fitted out with weapons and power systems vs stowage bunks and anything but 2 chairs.
    Best way I have seen this expressed. When you're right, your're right. A carrier would be way more devastating.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    edited April 2020 #873
    I think the upper secondary hull ship has them on the back of the delta (ribbed bits) the lower one has something on the struts as well as similar ribbed details on the thin delta head it has as well. Dunno how much drive can be squashed into such a thin segment that looks to be 1/4 a deck thick. But heh.
    Yeah, I've looked at that and there is just NO WAY. It doesn't work.

• kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    SOV - Sovereign Class I think =)
    Brandenberg
    Yes, I saw him use the same abbreviation earlier in this thread. Thanks

kc32f28dkno6.png
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,327Member
    The gallery is using the studio model the larger orthos are the same ones that were scaled down and combined into the sheets found at ex-astris. Those are from ST the mag from way back when. I cannot be positive but I think the larger single image ones came from Dougs site. If you compare the images they are the same and yes, this is typical of VOY 3d models. It is funny how different they look in the show but at 320p basically well it hides a lot. (well 480i fully interlaced so they are really only rendering out 240vertical.) But I think the physical renders were 320 then scaled to 480 and hard interlaced. I dunno why they did this vs dropdown that retains the full scan height data. Anyhow rambling. (deleted some of it lol)

SOV = Sovereign class partially as ff keeps wanting to change it into some Swedish name.

The struts to nacelles

Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Hey @MadKoiFish - I gotta say I sure appreciate your help and suggestions all these years. No one can argue that you don't know what you are doing and personally you have been helpful and supportive.

In the image above there is only a slight rounding of the leading and trailing edges on the struts to the engines. They were like that the first time you mentioned it so it worked out.
    au2dbzhtk4y1.png
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBolianAdmiral
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking great. I'm guessing with the sparse escape pods it's not a ship that's designed to carry a large crew.
    Brandenberg
    Yeah I placed them where the images have them. Like we've all said, not much room after 3 warp cores, extra bulkheads and exterior armor plating on 3 separate ships. Either that or she's like the Titanic. Not enough life boats. :#
    I suspect you're right in that the Multi Vector Assault mode leaves little room for crew.
    I'm getting moderately close to texture time. Yay!
    8zs7pkiywkmu.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777Freak
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Nice, have you modelled each section or just keeping it one ship?
    edited April 2020 #883
    So far I have the bottom and top halves (you can see the gap beyond the impulse engine). I kinda hate the separated saucer, so just mulling over what to do for now. As a start, I have modeled an underside bridge, having loved the bridge on the Shenzhou. That's the start of a Soverign class deflector. I'm just realizing I need to add a formidable-looking photon torpedo launcher in there somewhere.

aixzl9yji3s0.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    That looks nice so far. The Shenzhou style bridge looks pretty cool there. :)
    Brandenberg
    For fun. Prometheus in drydock (No doubt I have the scale wrong).
    9ra474k2hurc.png
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBolianAdmiral
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    In case it finally does drive you nuts, as I previously mentioned, you did say this was a 1.1 Prometheus, and not a 1.0 Prometheus. I mean, if you want to think of it one way, go the STO route, where the triple-hull thing was flat out removed on many in the class (resulting in a 'solid hull' sub-class).
    Brandenberg
    edited April 2020 #887
    New Shot. I did a lot of work on the bottom of the saucer. I also added the "grill" looking area at the back edge of the saucer (Its darker grey).

ocvhvnmp6nfi.png
    eqqca1d1k9p3.png
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    Nice work. I like what you did for the torpedo launchers.
    Brandenberg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Nice work. I’ve always liked this ship.
    Brandenberg
    edited April 2020 #890
    Big thanks guys. So @evil_genius_180 - the bottom is getting more love than the original model eh?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looking good.
    But I would make one change with the lower bridge.
    That is lose the windows. It a stupid idea in Kelvin Films and Current Trek.
    With this being a ship built to take on the Borg and the Dominion, your not going to want windows that are easy target to take out part of your command staff.
    Brandenberg
    Freak wrote: »
    Looking good.
    With this being a ship built to take on the Borg and the Dominion, your not going to want windows that are easy target to take out part of your command staff.
    Good point. Definitely wrong era ship for bridge windows. I guess what I was thinking was that being on the underside of the saucers they were a tad protected since beings used to gravity tended to think of attacking from above. However, experts at space battle wouldn't think that way.

Orthographic render. I'm close to being able to texture.
    95xewcu4zmk3.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    edited April 2020 #894
    Left and Bottom Orthos
    qayarxl9lm2g.png
    5xq4ctk3prgl.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    edited April 2020 #895
    wl8xzp7omhnw.png
    llgj5tnkestj.png
    FreakLizzy777evil_genius_180
    Looking good!
    Brandenberg
    This is easily the best looking model of this ship I've seen.
    Brandenberg
    edited April 2020 #898
    I hate to say it, but me too. Not because I am so great, but because I'VE LOOKED and they just aren't out there. People just don't model this ship, much like they don't do the Niagara Class. There is a potential best model in one done by The Lightworks Group (probably Tobias Richter) for a paperback novel about the Prometheus. However, there are no orthos and in the few cover shots you can find, it is pretty clear to me that HE took liberties on the design like I did. Admittedly I've taken more. One thing I knew I wasn't going to mess with is the wavy contour of the saucer under those two lateral plates with the 5 "speed bumps" on them. I believe Tobias dropped that too. His model is more like mine there.

As far as the ship, I thought it was passable to attractive in design. Once again, having done it, I'm finding it quite sleek and attractive.

At any rate, thanks to both of you.
    BTW I've become completely convinced it should have been designed to split into two pieces with some kind of agile fighter in the recess behind the bridge where the scrawny warp engine now lies. It would have been much more agile and formidable than an under-powered clunky saucer section.
    edited April 2020 #900
    Just started UV mapping and playing with the color tint of the ship. Opinion needed. Should I make the escape pods a tad smaller? I suppose that depends on how many people they're designed to hold.

I've begun to think of the windowed Shenzhou-ish bridge on the bottom as either a nightclub for crew or a bridge for docking the upper and lower halves of the ship. The battle bridge for the lower half will probably be on top of its "saucer" which is where it was originally I presume.
    hjldx4rw705t.png
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    Looks good, but I think you got too many life boats on the saucer.
    Brandenberg