Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1667 CaliforniaPosts: 1,941Member
    edited May 2020 #932
    Hey @admiral horton I have you in mind. In fact "in mind" enough that I am currently going back and working on accuracy to the original model. The render below is a shot at what needs to be fixed. I didn't really do the underside of the fan tail correctly. This made me realize that the whole bottom of the main hull where the pylons attach needs re-working. The shot below is partially re-worked but not enough. It needs flattening from left to right. Those dark panels don't curve around the edge of the hull but lie on a flat scooped out portion much like the back of the movie enterprise.

More and more I feel like this ship design needs some attention and care. All I can say is that for the show, it is lucky that starships are shot in low light if you get my meaning.
    9bmuaaergw9x.png
    4j5bgn0bsh5q.png
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Maybe I should add, that when done, I'll include a side render with the engines and pylons removed. There is no way to be sure of the original placement of the windows and escape pods on the lower portion of the back of the main hull. They are obscured. I've tried to get them as close as I could.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks fantastic. We've all been there, where you just don't have a clear ortho view on the placement of something and you just have to guesstimate.
  • kadenkaden800 JapanPosts: 219Member
    edited May 2020 #935
    It is looking great, I need to sort out how to get the panel textures done on my ships. lol

Yeah I agree with the backside curved cut out, it really needs to be like all the other ships more sharp. Same with the deflector area.
    For your version you should try redo the engineering hull more like the original concepts. :)
    iiim9bu2jd9u.png
    Post edited by kaden on
    Thanks Kaden. I'm not sure why, but I have not seen this drawing before. I have the other one. Now I see why someone suggested the Enterprise E deflector. I finished the lower hull repair.
    0gaoavd4bot3.png
    k1qp0dzfl71f.png

evil_genius_180FreakashleytingerLizzy777
    The top with the silly saucer engine. Ortho - Prometheus.

4gh317l419rq.png

The rear Ortho - Prometheus
    e23r2xe1w0fp.png

evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    She's not my favorite ship, but you've done an awesome job with her
    Brandenberg
    She's not my favorite ship, but you've done an awesome job with her

Exactly. :)
    Brandenberg
    Thanks to both of you. That's really nice to say.
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    on thing is put the torpedo launchers just under the deflector dish, and one launcher on either side of the deflector on the primary hull
    I'm still working on texturing. This render has LW 2019's "Metalic" adjustment turned up from 0% to 8%. Made quite an impact.
    215a5vjghywk.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777TrekMD
    on thing is put the torpedo launchers just under the deflector dish, and one launcher on either side of the deflector on the primary hull
    When you say "one thing" are you saying that on the original model this is where those structures are?

Yeah, that metallic setting is great for doing starship hulls. It gives you less diffusion and more spec/shininess, as you expect from metal.
    Brandenberg
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    It is the logical placement as there is no good pics of the cgi model, but the launchers under the deflector is kind of the era design as with the Sovereign Class, and on the primary hull there is nowhere else to place them
    edited May 2020 #946
    You're probably implying that the structure I added above the deflector isn't attractive to you. I have thought and thought about how to do that differently. Still haven't thought of anything yet, other than giving it a more organic shape. The other thing I keep trying to work out is where to place a rearward photon torpedo launcher.
    Yeah, that metallic setting is great for doing starship hulls. It gives you less diffusion and more spec/shininess, as you expect from metal.

I keep forgetting that I have that. In addition, at times it doesn't seem to do anything or what it does, isn't desirable. I like it on this model.
    A higher metallic setting is really handy for stuff like nav deflectors and whatnot, but you definitely want to use it sparingly for metallic hulls.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Looking great ... probably even better than in the show 🤔
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Looking great ... probably even better than in the show 🤔
    Thanks. I'm sure I had more time to work on it. STILL working on it.

P5ych0p4th
    edited May 2020 #951
    Moving forward with a two hull split - plus warp fighter. With a tip of the hat to @kaden 's fighter, which I really like. In this image I am just beginning to deal with the fact that when you split this ship, all the photon / quantum torpedo weaponry leave with the lower attack sled. Hence the two downward projections on the upper hull behind the cavity for the forward bridge area of the attack sled. Right now there are torpedo launchers there. I am probably going to move to a spherical shape for those.
    racmaxabmh1l.png
    c5tqcsp3p9pb.png

P5ych0p4thashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777kadenFreakWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    That's cool, dude. :)
    Brandenberg
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    I like that your prometheus refit only cuts into two separate combat craft instead of 3. Great call on that.
    Brandenberg
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited May 2020 #954
    That's cool, dude. :)
    Thanks. This ship is becoming more fun the further I go. :)

count23 wrote: »
    I like that your prometheus refit only cuts into two separate combat craft instead of 3. Great call on that.
    Thanks man. You almost HAVE to. The Prometheus is supposed to become multiple ships. But... the "Saucer Ship" just went too far with it's weird engine configuration and the resulting question about warp cores. So this is the obvious fix. I think a warp fighter, being so much smaller might get overlooked, as the two bigger ship structures go at an adversary. The fighter could wait inside the shield protection of the upper half until a surprise moment.

Obviously @MadKoiFish 's comment about a carrier making more sense is the right one, but this ship is part of canon and so I can't help but fix the original gimmick. Besides, it just looks better too. :)

I have a question. Do you think photon / quantum torpedo turrets on this would be too Star Wars ish? Trek has never had guns like navel ship guns but this was an experimental ship.
  • LoopholeLoophole98 Posts: 68Member
    I always thought 2 ships made a lot more sense than 3. It has four big nacelles! I bet they went with 3 because 2 would just seem like a glorified saucer separation.
    Standing among giants
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have a question. Do you think photon / quantum torpedo turrets on this would be too Star Wars ish? Trek has never had guns like navel ship guns but this was an experimental ship.

Trek has had turrets, but this was for phasers as seen in ENT and TOS. (just under the sensor dome under the saucer.)
    But I don't think it would suit current Trek as we know phaser can shoot in any direction from the phaser strip and torpedo's can be directed to any location after being fired.
    You're right - I was just thinking of time spent as a photon torpedo changes course.
    edited May 2020 #959
    Loophole wrote: »
    I always thought 2 ships made a lot more sense than 3. It has four big nacelles! I bet they went with 3 because 2 would just seem like a glorified saucer separation.
    Yeah. 1701 D's saucer was still armed. It just lacked warp engines. For the Prometheus, admittedly they pushed the concept too far.
    Post edited by Guerrilla on
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Could you not put dorsal torpedo launchers in the front cut outs of the primary hull?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9818 Posts: 5,331Member
    edited May 2020 #961
    Well it would not be multi vector attack, just dual vector attack!

torps technically go at warp speed so time would be relevant to the viewer EG reality the foe wouldn't have extra time as it turned. Even at sublight the time and speed of the turn probably wouldn't be any longer than a turret mechanically turning.
    Think of it like a missile bank on a attack ship vs a turreted cannon on deck. The turret is there to point the linear projectile at a target. The missiles all point up and redirect to the target. Reason for the turret is to point the linear weapon at the target.
    I think a large part of the idea of a phaser strip outside of a quickly large object that can IDENTIFY as a weapon is that it could target a object without a turret or mechanical movement. Though a lot of that was defeated by the chase the power along the strip firing sequence.

Think this was a torp launcher turret for the Sovereign class E in one of the refits that resulted in the 4 aft facing tubes. Might be the wrong picture as I remember it having notes and a figure for scale. Heck this could be a pop up tractor beam.
    Enterprise-E-concept-art-2.gif

Personally I always liked the idea that torps needed a decent length of railgun like acceleration space to get the torp away from the ships influence before it's own drive kicked in. Also can excuse probe speeds and other things shown in canon.
    0Qv0Na1Quwu4Y66W2V49nHQslAmoIGCXjGZualomZOsk0jXiBM3Xm6vx3XYm6ab9N9LTesjMY3klrTLWYAnN1vAfz4uBcM8HWvXqhTNezw

oh yeah there were these things too
    latest?cb=20120430155248&path-prefix=answers
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.