Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    A bit time consuming.

They look like they're a real pill to get exactly right.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Pylons are looking good.
    If you make a variant of this ship, lose the nacelle where the bridge is meant to be.
    I hate that thing on this ship.
    Freak wrote: »
    Pylons are looking good.
    If you make a variant of this ship, lose the nacelle where the bridge is meant to be.

B-but, that's so the saucer can travel at warp. :p
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Freak wrote: »
    Pylons are looking good.
    I had never noticed it until I started drawing it. It really doesn't work at all. You're right. I am going to do my own variant with another way of propulsion for the saucer.

Here is the work I have started on the underside of the main hull.
    3uutfu1kjohh.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited April 2020 #846
    They look like they're a real pill to get exactly right.
    OH YEAH.
    They of course do that annoying thing where they intersect a level hull. They drop down at a 15 degree angle from the engines and so the front of the pylon is higher than the back because it arrives at the hull first. Furthermore, they have an airplane wing cross section, a taper, and a twist to meet the hull, not to mention that the leading and trailing edges are curved.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Looking Good.

If the ship just split into two along the horizontal line it would not be such a issues.

But having the upper saucer Armour come off as well does not work for me.
    Then you got think about engine space. As each separation would need it own warp core, fuel etc.
    your eating up a lot of internal space. I can see the Armour separation having a warp core that twice to three time the size of a runabout. (Given the size of it.) Add in the weapons as well and you don't have a lot of internal space left.
    Brandenberg
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    No, i think you can stick with each section being warp capable. Just stuck the nacelles for the saucer section underneath or inside the separation line area for the secondary hull.

I hate that saucer nacelle as well, don't get me wrong. Just saying that to keep true to the Prommy and her "every section is warp capable" bit, best place to hide the nacelles is in the separation join area.

I am super happy that your version will not have that stupid nacelle saucer either, those things were absurd.
    Brandenberg
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited April 2020 #849
    In the drawings, those two large objects on the back corners of the saucer are listed as warp engines. So the saucer had 3? This thing had to be nothing but engine rooms and a bridge. :# On this render, I had done a lot of work on the sloping hull behind the saucer to the shuttle bay at the back. Then also added the above mentioned warp engines. Thanks @evil_genius_180, @freak, @count23
    f4h4vk8r8n2e.png

Lizzy777Freak
    In the drawings, those two large objects on the back corners of the saucer are listed as warp engines. So the saucer had 3? This thing had to be nothing but engine rooms and a bridge. :#

That can't be accurate. Those are clearly impulse engines. Also, the saucer has another warp nacelle on the bottom, so that would make four if those were warp engines. You can see the bottom warp engine in this schematic:

prometheus-alpha.jpg

That's from Star Trek: The Magazine, where they did an article on the Prometheus. (I had that issue)

Just out of curiosity, which schematic are you using that showed those as warp engines?
    edited April 2020 #851
    I had assumed those were impulse engines but then saw this. As you can see it has the impulse engine on the tip. Thanks for this image above. I had nothing on the separated saucer's underside.
    36mg821mgizq.jpg
    There are schematic views and renders of the actual CGI model on this page:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/sfvarious1.htm

(You'll have to scroll down a bit)

Personally, I wouldn't trust call-offs coming from a 17 year old fan made schematic sheet. To be fair, even the ones in "official" publications can be incorrect. But, of course, it's your ship and you'll do what you need to do.
    Brandenberg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,327Member
    Yeah wanna avoid reusing fan source unless it is verified. I could swear Doug Drexler posted renders of this ship but I cannot find them. His would lack al the LW glow keys but general shape would be the cgi model. have to keep looking about. Though I guess the model is so low poly there is not too much loss in the lower fidelity of the mag scans.

Anyhow One of the ships where I loved the interior but the externals and "idea" ugh. Voyagers bendy nacelles were too much for me back in 97. heh.
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    @MadKoiFish I think he posted them on his Blog years ago. But he shut it down and everything that was on it went as well.

@Brandenberg on that schematic you posted.
    What are marked as impulse engines are actually the RCS thrusters.
    they have also marked up the one at the front of the saucer as impulse engines.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do for the saucer underside, Brandenberg. That area on the original model got no love, just a couple quick phaser strips and a stretched texture.
    Brandenberg
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Yeah wanna avoid reusing fan source unless it is verified. I could swear Doug Drexler posted renders of this ship but I cannot find them. His would lack al the LW glow keys but general shape would be the cgi model. have to keep looking about. Though I guess the model is so low poly there is not too much loss in the lower fidelity of the mag scans.
    Yeah, if you have Drexler's - big help for sure.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Anyhow One of the ships where I loved the interior but the externals and "idea" ugh. Voyagers bendy nacelles were too much for me back in 97. heh.
    Oh you mean the rotation the Voyager nacelles had to go through before warp. Bothered me too. It was unnecessary and just killed any "edge" for a rapid escape. Agree on the Prometheus too.

edited April 2020 #857
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do for the saucer underside, Brandenberg. That area on the original model got no love, just a couple quick phaser strips and a stretched texture.
    Yeah. If no planned shots of it, slap dash, we've got a TV schedule to keep up with. Thanks for the reference shots. Helps.
    edited April 2020 #858
    Yeah, He had to pull the site as some people were complaining about stuff being posted. Guessing it was stemming from posting of 3d assets or images with his blog name on. Latter helped me sort stuff though so meh.

I do not think these are from Doug but they are slightly larger than the combined images. (thought those ones are included in the batch) I have no idea where I got them from though.
    think this will list the gallery
    https://imgur.com/a/qE8JiLh
    should be able to dl the whole thing as a zip file.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Brandenberg
    edited April 2020 #859
    Yeah, some of the doofuses he worked with back in the day were butthurt that he was posting images of their work and just putting "Drex Files" on them. He always credited them in the posts, so I don't know what the issue was. (same rule we have here) They complained, so he took the whole blog down. It's a shame they had to ruin it for the rest of us. Doug Drexler is a two time Primetime Emmy and an Academy Award winner, and yet still just a super cool and chill guy who didn't mind sharing cool pics and stories with us. Seeing new stuff on his blog was always fun.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Brandenberg
    edited April 2020 #860
    Yeah, some of the doofuses he worked with back in the day were butthurt that he was posting images of their work and just putting "Drex Files" on them. He always credited them in the posts, so I don't know what the issue was. (same rule we have here) They complained, so he took the whole blog down. It's a shame they had to ruin it for the rest of us. Doug Drexler is a two time Primetime Emmy and an Academy Award winner, and yet still just a super cool and chill guy who didn't mind sharing cool pics and stories with us. Seeing new stuff on his blog was always fun.
    Yes, that was my understanding too. Other artists thought he was taking credit for their work when he wasn't. It was nice of him to try for a while.
    You all have seen this haven't you?
    https://pierre-drolet-sci-fi-museum.com/starship
    It's a place out in the desert where they keep a bunch of the ships built for Star Trek.
    More progress on the Prometheus.
    54r39qeezar5.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Freak
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice. I liked the Prometheus from the time I first saw her.
    Brandenberg
    Thanks. More back detail.
    xy5ddflukgcy.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    From what I can see, the spine details look good.
    Brandenberg
    she is looking good.
    Brandenberg
    From what I can see, the spine details look good.
    Yeah not the ideal angle. Thanks though.

@Freak Thanks man.
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    You mentioned you hated the bridge/saucer 'hidden' nacelle. Well, the Prometheus class' Captain's Yacht is pretty much non-existent afaik, so why not have your version - which I believe you stated is either its own class or a sub-class of the Prometheus - include the Captain's Yacht directly aft of the bridge? And pull a Voyager, where the oversized shuttle's nacelle pylons 'fold' upwards (or down) to make for a slimmer shape. Once it's free of the hull, the pylons deploy and off she goes.

The neat thing is, the existing hole for the nacelle that you've already done, is big enough for something almost the same size as Insurrection's Scout Ship's main hull, minus the wings it had. So it' be a fairly large craft. Which is fitting, since Prometheus and her like are far more like the Defiant, in being an out-n-out warship, than the more peaceful designs. So having a larger shuttle/mini-Runabout with better shields and armaments, would fit the role quite well as a far better means to perform a boarding action/away team if transporters are out of the question.
    edited April 2020 #868
    It also makes more sense to put it close to the captain's quarters if it is the "Captain's Shuttle."
    I have gradually come to the conclusion that making a Prometheus very accurate to the original model is monumentally difficult. The contours are all over the place, I can't find a good picture of the original deflector, the drawings aren't consistent with other sets of ortho drawings and aren't consistent with each other. And like everyone else, the 3 ship design bugs the heck out of me. It's not that it isn't a nice looking ship in its own right. It's just not nice when it is in 3 pieces. There are a fair number of liberties on the following.

ewonvcpmpguy.png
    evil_genius_180FreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    edited April 2020 #869
    I would follow the 3d orthos of the actual filming model over any drawings official or not. However I probably would indulge in ignoring anything dodgy like time saving grids on ugly geometery etc. A lot of the VOY cgi always had dodgy topology too, pinches wrinkles etc. So it leaves you to define what your decide is proper representation of that geo.

Deflector looked a lot like a blue version of what we got on the SOV. Heck I would not put it past to be geo on a lowpoly version of the SOV pinched and reused.

I do hope the harder edged struts are a permanent element or something similar to it. The originals organic form just clashed too much with all the flat areas and hard shapes elsewhere.

Issues with detachable this that and the moon means at some point all your interior space is all bulkheads and redundant engineering and support spaces. All the benefits of this design would be solved with a squad of ships or a carrier with medium sized aux craft. Such as 50 runabouts all fitted out with weapons and power systems vs stowage bunks and anything but 2 chairs.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Brandenberg
  • maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    Your model is coming along nicely :)

I wonder how effective those 2 warpdrive sections would be in combat, seeing as they don't have any visible impulse engines.
    Brandenberg
    I think the upper secondary hull ship has them on the back of the delta (ribbed bits) the lower one has something on the struts as well as similar ribbed details on the thin delta head it has as well. Dunno how much drive can be squashed into such a thin segment that looks to be 1/4 a deck thick. But heh.