Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I think it's a design that could definitely use some liberties to be taken with it. After all, it was designed to be damaged and seen from a distance, so a bit more detail wouldn't hurt it.
    Brandenberg
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    edited March 2020 #753
    Looking awesome. Looks like you're using the project method for the nacelle textures, if you 'bow' the diagonal lines out slightly to make them curved, you can avoid the pinching look where the texture is wrapping down the side, see mine for comparison;

rat41cxnuf57.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Wow, I really appreciate that @lewisniven. I've had it on my mind to fix the texture on my engine ever since I saw yours and viola' here you are! :)

@evil_genius_180 We were using the same reasoning. Except for the images of the damaged model under construction, I think people have been filling in what they think it was like. Given a weekly show, there were time constraints and I am sure some "corners were cut" since it was a distant image anyway.
    edited March 2020 #755
    An update. I will soon be working on the engine paint. There is actually some accuracy work done on the engines in this render. How can I not help it with all the Enterprise D engines being done on this site right now? As an aside - I have been having fits with Lightwave, trying to do a semitransparent Bussard collector. Too much, too little. Too much, too little. :s

4qtnxmqe672c.png
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    That's looking superb, dude. It's a weird design with the extra engine on bottom, but it grows on you after a while.
    As an aside - I have been having fits with Lightwave, trying to do a semitransparent Bussard collector. Too much, too little. Too much, too little. :s

I've been there, it's an absolute nightmare.
    Brandenberg
    edited March 2020 #757
    Yes, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do translucent in the Principled BSDF mode. I can either color it, or have it semitransparent white. When I turn up translucent it does NOTHING. I know there has to be some way of accomplishing this with the NODE editor, but so far have not been able to find it. What you see above is in standard mode. However with Standard mode from the front you cannot see inside the outer casing of the Bussard Collector, and from the side it is too clear as you see above.

It's amazing how much one can love and hate a program at the same time.

BTW: Are you working on anything? I would love to see something you are doing.
    It's amazing how much one can love and hate a program at the same time.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. I've actually considered modeling in Lightwave and then taking it to Blender for the surfacing and rendering. But, it's a lot of work to convert stuff and I don't know if it's worth the time and effort. I just like Cycles better, but I find a lot of the modeling tools in Lightwave are more to my liking.
    BTW: Are you working on anything? I would love to see something you are doing.

I've been thinking of starting something. I just started a vacation (staycation) and I may do it. I just have to pick which of the 5 projects I have rattling around inside my head to start.
    Brandenberg
    edited March 2020 #759
    I'm just doggedly determined to learn how to use the new Lightwave. I'm sure it will ultimately be an improvement. For now, sometimes I profoundly want to kick it in the nuts. Read, cause it as much pain as it causes me. :p
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, I have a similar thought about LW2018. I get that the render engine needed an overhaul, but they made some stuff much harder to do than it was in older versions of the software. One thing I don't get is why the translucency setting apparently does nothing. Why have it if it doesn't work?
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    IIRC, the Galaxy style parts are the only ones not to have ended up in a quad nacelle config. Any thoughts on trying that instead of the triple nacelle?
    Barricade wrote: »
    IIRC, the Galaxy style parts are the only ones not to have ended up in a quad nacelle config. Any thoughts on trying that instead of the triple nacelle?

Oh yes, that has definitely crossed my mind. Like you I have wondered why someone hasn't done a four engine design with the Galaxy engines.

@evil_genius_180 Somewhere I saw that to make translucency work you have to check a box that enables "Thin" mode. Also there is something about a box for "Volumetrics" if you want color. It has something to do with Transmittance. I saw it after I gave up and went to "standard" mode instead of BSDF. I've go to go back and fiddle with it.
    evil_genius_180
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    Dude please when u r done do an orthographic view. This is the best Niagara Class I have seen yet
    Brandenberg
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This looks great. You've made it look like a plausible starship design. :)
    Brandenberg
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    @evil_genius_180 Somewhere I saw that to make translucency work you have to check a box that enables "Thin" mode. Also there is something about a box for "Volumetrics" if you want color. It has something to do with Transmittance. I saw it after I gave up and went to "standard" mode instead of BSDF. I've go to go back and fiddle with it.

That's helpful information, thanks. I tried "Standard" materials for a while in LW2018 and I found they don't work very well with that render engine.
    Cut windows on the bridge area and did mounts ] for the engine Pylons (can't see in this image). General paint refinement.
    Dude please when u r done do an orthographic view. This is the best Niagara Class I have seen yet

I know what you mean. There really aren't any images of this ship and they aren't that great. I'll post orthos as soon as I am done.

4r5rri7476ka.png
    LoopholeWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    That's helpful information, thanks. I tried "Standard" materials for a while in LW2018 and I found they don't work very well with that render engine.

Yeah the snow. :'(

Yeah the snow. :'(

I hate it. That's what made me buckle down and finally figure out Principled BSDF materials in the software. From what I read, "Standard" exists for when you open older models, so they have materials when you open them. However, it's suggested you change to Principled BSDF.

I don't recall what I did for my bussard collectors on my TOS Enterprise I did in LW2018. But, I know I somehow got them kind of looking translucent. It was a task, though.
    edited March 2020 #769
    Oh, you've already done that... You're way ahead of me then.

Thank's @furswift
    edited March 2020 #770
    It looks like I just played around with different specular, roughness, transmittance and refraction settings to get the result I did. As you can see, I didn't even use the "translucency" setting:

wu4f56ktk7fj.png

I also tried the "thin" setting just now and it made them look opaque. I probably need to tweak some other settings for it to work.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Ok, saved THAT picture and will take a whack at it. :3

Did I already ask? How did you do the fine lines on the saucer of your OS Enterprise?
    Also do you have any insight on doing Ambient Occlusion in LW 2018, 2019?
    edited March 2020 #772
    Tackled the underside of the saucer on this bad boy. :p In addition this image is 100% Covid-19 free. ;)

bnug58wk7dch.png
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    edited March 2020 #773
    NIAGARA CLASS ORTHO: Here is a front Ortho - not quite done yet but the shape is the main thing.

49n8z31o83kb.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited March 2020 #774
    NIAGARA CLASS LEFT ORTHO: One thing I plan to correct is the attachment of the upper pylons to the bottom of the engine. I'll replace THIS image when I do.

09kuizssnzaz.png

Edit: I noted that it still said "Enterprise" on the side lettering. Fixed that and removed "Ray Trace Shadows"
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Did I already ask? How did you do the fine lines on the saucer of your OS Enterprise?

The lines are part of the texture. I made the textures in Inkscape.

I don't remember if I messed with AO or not. I'll have to take a look at the scene setup to see.
    edited March 2020 #776
    NIAGARA CLASS ORTHO: Top

8qrf7sxmg8as.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited March 2020 #777
    NIAGARA CLASS BOTTOM ORTHO:

h9f7efzk6it1.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited March 2020 #778
    NIAGARA REAR ORTHO:

y29wep9qd1rj.png

Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited March 2020 #779
    As a bonus, here is one of the angled pylons laid flat. The dark portions are deeply indented both sides. I plan on adding to the detail and texture.

Are the above large PNG files taking a long time to paint on your screen?

rt0p9vr0tjvn.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    In the ortho i have seen, on the side of the secondary hull by the shuttlebays there r phaser strips, plus please model in the torpedo launchers
    I think she has 2 fwd, 1 aft. Great job on this model
    Brandenberg
    edited March 2020 #781

I'm in Windows now and I just took a look at LW2018, and I can't even find anything to control AO. I'll have to do some more digging.

EDIT: Hm, it looks like there's a node you can add that just says "Occlusion." That might be it.

l4kic6hho92n.png

It looks like it plugs into the red nodes, which makes sense. That's the best I can come up with.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Brandenberg