Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    Those are absolutely beautiful! But I have to ask if the Starfleet arrowhead on the starboard and bottom nacelles should be reversed, like you have them, since the arrowheads on the 1701-D’s nacelles were both oriented the right way?
    Brandenberg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1662 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited March 2020 #783
    Great catch. My error had to do with engine refinements being done and then duplicating the improved engine from one side of the X axis to the other without thinking. On my texture image it is correct. However now both UV maps are superimposed on only one drawing. Will have to fix that.

Thanks for the feedback complement.

EDIT: Have fixed the orientation of the emblems and replaced the orthos on the previous page.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    BolianAdmiral
    edited March 2020 #784
    In the ortho i have seen, on the side of the secondary hull by the shuttlebays there r phaser strips
    Done - Orthographic changed above. I also added a phaser strip under the front of the secondary hull.

...please model in the torpedo launchers. I think she has 2 fwd, 1 aft. Great job on this model
    I have wondered about those. In all the pictures I have of this, I can't see where the torpedo launchers are. There doesn't appear to be a clear line of site from the front of the neck for a torpedo to travel without hitting the Niagara class itself.
    The Terran paint job.

z8q6cglkix7k.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    The Niagara is as ugly as shit, but there's something about it that's oddly appealing. Inverting the nacelles so 1 on top and 2 below does look so much better though.

You've done it justice however, really nice looking ship.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    I'm still hoping he uses these parts to make a quad-nacelle.

And I agree with count23. The Niagara is ugly as hell, but somehow you found a way to give it some charm. Which, considering I *hate* the design, says volumes about how good you managed to make it look.
    edited March 2020 #788
    I can’t argue with you. I needed to do the Niagara for a project. I wouldn’t have been interested in doing it otherwise. However I was sincere in saying it grew on me as I did it. As a result NOW my least favorite ship is the Constellation class. But that will probably grow on me too as I have to do that as well.

So thanks guys. I did a few tweaks that I think made it a bit better.

Next project. The Prometheus. After that I’m considering a Klingon BOP.
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    At least they got the ship's good side on camera.

the-best-of-both-worlds-part-two-hd-169.jpg

It's actually one of the ships you can see better in the battle wreckage, especially in HD.
    scifieric
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    As a result NOW my least favorite ship is the Constellation class.

What?! The Constellation is awesome! I love the bulky industrial look it has :) Lost of details in that one as well.

Sorry Viper. I tend to like graceful lines. However I didn’t think the Excelsior was graceful until I did one. Big fan now.
    The Excelsior has always been one of my favorites. It's definitely graceful. I love the Constellation class too, because it's got a real workhorse look to it. It's designed to do stuff, but not necessarily look pretty doing it. ;)
    To me, not a very pretty way to place 4 engines, especially the 1701 refit engines
    Well, that was all Rick Sternbach and Andrew Probert. They wanted to do something different and the time only allowed them to kitbash. The Excelsior kit wasn't out yet, or they would have done something with it. And, as TOS tech was too old, they went with the Refit kit. I actually would have liked it better if they'd used less Macross parts. If ever build one again, I'll probably change some of the greebles.

By the way, since you said you need to do a Constellation class, if you need photo references, let me know. I have a zip file I can share with you.
    By the way, since you said you need to do a Constellation class, if you need photo references, let me know. I have a zip file I can share with you.

Yeah, could probably use it. I have images of a really great model done of it by someone on this forum. The ship was named the Pompeii NCC 2982. Quite a spectacular model actually.

I also have a Norway class in my future as well as Steamrunner. Perhaps the latter is one I like less than the Constellation.
    Your problem is you just don't like ugly ships. :tongue: I actually like Alex Jaeger's original concept for the Streamrunner (original name) better, but what he came up with for the final model is cool.

Here's everything I have for the Constellation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwjscp3ghz13mt/Constellation.zip?dl=0

Oh, and I've totally never heard of this USS Pompeii of which you speak. **walks out, whistling nonchalantly**
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    I can’t argue with you. I needed to do the Niagara for a project. I wouldn’t have been interested in doing it otherwise. However I was sincere in saying it grew on me as I did it. As a result NOW my least favorite ship is the Constellation class. But that will probably grow on me too as I have to do that as well.

So thanks guys. I did a few tweaks that I think made it a bit better.

Nice, I think really all the wolf fleet just need a bit more HD love, a few tweaks here and there and the designs work pretty well as background ships. the Niagara is no different. you've definitely done a better job than eaglemoss at the very least.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited March 2020 #798
    Wow thanks Count23 (Count to three)
    Oh, and I've totally never heard of this USS Pompeii of which you speak. **walks out, whistling nonchalantly**

Was that yours? Because it was REALLY good.

@Barricade Behold the Quad. B)

xpi4wbrb0w7l.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    edited March 2020 #799
    Your problem is you just don't like ugly ships. :tongue:
    Hearty laugh here. :) It's more that Federation ships (In my mind) really need engines at the end of pylons. It's just the law. :p And yes I am aware that this kinda slams the Defiant. I do appreciate the design but it isn't mainline Starfleet to me.
    I actually like Alex Jaeger's original concept for the Streamrunner (original name) better, but what he came up with for the final model is cool.
    You got an image of that original concept?
    Oh perhaps should add that I think @kaden's does work. It is a great design
    edited March 2020 #801

Yeah, I think it was my 3rd go at making the ship.

pompeii_beauty05.jpg

I've thought about doing another one in Lightwave to replace the one I lost a while back, but I have no motivation to do canon designs right now.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    You got an image of that original concept?

steamrunner_concept.jpg

I think this works better than the version that made it on film, but such is the way of doing design and model work for movies and TV, I guess.
    Loophole
    I've thought about doing another one in Lightwave to replace the one I lost a while back, but I have no motivation to do canon designs right now.
    Don't tell me you lost that Constellation Class. Puleeeeeeze!

Don't tell me you lost that Constellation Class. Puleeeeeeze!

Yeah, I lost all of my stuff from TrueSpace and most of my Lightwave stuff. It wasn't a happy time.
    edited March 2020 #805
    Wow, I don't even know what to say... Except maybe, the Constellation has to be done again.
    I have all my work saved in 4 places. I rigorously save in at least one of the 4 daily. Now and then I update them all. And heck I'm sure you do NOW.
    All the time we put into these meshes.

Another shot of the Quad engine version. In case you are wondering, the two lower engines are further apart than the two upper. Still working on pylon detail and their attachment to the engines. Not liking what I have now.
    yh2gsfof5sw7.png
    Lizzy777
    That looks good. Though, I actually like the 3 nacelle version better.

That saucer section is really nice and would actually work great with a different secondary hull and nacelles. Do you have any plans to do the Freedom class? Once you do the Constellation class, you'll have all of the parts necessary, since that was a blend of that saucer, the neck and a greeble from the Constellation and one of those nacelles. I have the Eaglemoss version and it's pretty sweet.
    Wow, I don't even know what to say... Except maybe, the Constellation has to be done again.
    I have all my work saved in 4 places. I rigorously save in at least one of the 4 daily. Now and then I update them all. And heck I'm sure you do NOW.
    All the time we put into these meshes.

Sadly, I used to do backups a lot more religiously than I do now. Though, to be fair, I haven't completed much of anything in the past few years. I have my 2019 Enterprise saved to a flash drive and a few models on Dropbox. Other than that, I don't have much left from more than a few years ago.

As for the Constellation, it may happen and it may not. I did always find that more of a fun project due to the fact that a lot of it is photo matching with a good deal of interpretation, as opposed to just following blueprints. But, I still prefer actually designing stuff to just following what others have done.
    edited March 2020 #807
    So did the loss of your meshes put a damper on your motivation to draw ships?

I replaced the side shot of the Quad Niagara above.
    So did the loss of your meshes put a damper on your motivation to draw ships?

No, being attached to a fan film being run by idiots as the only model maker did that. Then I had to do animations too, even though I had little experience in animating, because the head idiot kept pissing off animators and they kept quitting. That whole experience was a motivation killer. Plus, I got into other hobbies.

The loss of all the data on that drive came later, and a lot of the meshes were old Truespace models. By that point I was using Lightwave and converting models is a huge pain, so they were just sitting on the drive.
    I get it.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Oh perhaps should add that I think @kaden's does work. It is a great design

Which ones? lol I have many with no to little pylons. Gotta shake it up a bit.
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    edited March 2020 #811
    Wow thanks Count23 (Count to three)

@Barricade Behold the Quad. B)

xpi4wbrb0w7l.png

Hmmm....
    Brandenberg, if you might be willing to humor me, could you whip up a slashdash temp version of that layout, so I don't waste your time. But done with the Galaxy style pylons? Keep the divots (as I'm calling them) you have added to that mockup, but have them more in the straight out, gentle 90 degree curve up/down that the Galaxy class has. I like those divot shapes.

EDIT:
    I'm mostly going off an 'oopsie' graphical error I remember from STO, where I was flipping between my Nebula & Prometheus really fast in the customization menu, and one time it loaded garbled with both layout meshes kinda-sorta overlapping. It left me with ideas. Sadly, I suck at 3D, and am only good at 2D art.
    Post edited by Barricade on