Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Titan / Luna Class

tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I always liked Seans Titan design, so itA’s time I start my own model of her. I will stay as close as possible to the design and will stay in contact with Sean to make sure itA’s done right.

So hereA’s the start - nacelle and pylons first, as they are the easier part... Now itA’s on to the saucer and secondary hull, the more complicated parts...

titan_wip_03.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/titan/titan_wip_03.jpg

titan_wip_04.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/titan/titan_wip_04.jpg
101612.jpg
Post edited by tobiasrichter on
Tagged:

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Sean's was certainly the best by a mile to come out of that group that were presented. It's a great functional design and at the time I was looking for more in the advanced sensors area but he kept the design modular, familar to trek and quite commanding. It's a design that looks better in perspective than in orthographic. The cover artist have certainly have done it tremendous justice.

But looking back on it now that Star Trek Online has created the Enterprise "F" I realize that all my criticisms on Sean's design paled in comparisons. I only wish STO committee had as much good taste the Simon & Schuster as the group.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Was wondering when you were going to get this started. :D
    Have you ever though about modeling the Doomsday Machine?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    :thumb: Great to see you working on this one, Tobias!!

Curious... has the Luna class ever been approved as an actual cannon class? I thought at one point that they were pitching a series with Riker and the Titan, but haven't heard anything.
    In Trek the books aren't really canon and ship class was never said in Nemesis...so until Paramount does some sort of feature or featurette the Luna class is non canon.

Personally after reading the books and their realism I think of them as canon...much of the restart of DS9 and VOY from Avatar/Homecoming is thought of as canon (and I think Pocket Books Potrayed them as such and has been conducting a sort of orchestration of the involved characters like Tuvok.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    great to see you working on luna class. look forward. and thnx to keep the dream alive with your work....
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Awesome start as always, Tobias. I didn't used to like this ship, but I do now and I'm looking forward to seeing another great 3D model of it. :D
    Curious... has the Luna class ever been approved as an actual cannon class? I thought at one point that they were pitching a series with Riker and the Titan, but haven't heard anything.

The question is: does the old convention of "canon" really matter anymore? Depends on your point of view. CBS/Paramount has put everything into JJ Abrams' reboots, so there will be no more classic Trek as long as those movies are doing well. So, the odds of the Titan ever being used (as Sean designed it) are probably a billion to one. As Saquist said, by the old standard, canon only referred to stuff that appeared on the shows and in the films. However, with no more classic Trek being made, I think canon is what you want it to be. This ship certainly has a presence in Trek books, comics and games of late, (and other stuff too) so you could consider it canon. After all, the expanded universe (books, comics, games, fan films, etc.) are all that we have anymore as far as classic Trek, besides the stuff we have that existed prior to CBS/Paramount shutting it down. And, as we know, the Titan was mentioned but never seen in the last movie that was made prior to the reboot. So, do you consider it canon? That's the real question. As far as I'm concerned, it is. After all, I've played Star Trek Online as a science officer and I've had an inaccurate Luna-class ship. That's as close to canon as we get anymore. ;)
  • BCBC0 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    In Trek the books aren't really canon and ship class was never said in Nemesis...so until Paramount does some sort of feature or featurette the Luna class is non canon.

Personally after reading the books and their realism I think of them as canon...much of the restart of DS9 and VOY from Avatar/Homecoming is thought of as canon (and I think Pocket Books Potrayed them as such and has been conducting a sort of orchestration of the involved characters like Tuvok.

I agree, a lot of the novels should be canon more than some of the more questionable official studio stuff.
    The modern Trek novels do tend to be good, and some of them even have much better TOS compatibility than anything Paramount has come up with since. Diane DuaneA’s Rihannsu books are a good example of that; she A“went to the sourceA” and worked closely with D.C. Fontana on fleshing out the race the Federation calls the Romulans in a way that actually makes sense instead of the wildly different each time you see them Paramount ones.
    IA’ve heard the policy of only studio productions being canon was a case of not wanting to ride herd on all the publishing companies and sort through the rather large body of material already out there when Paramount decided to actually resurrect what they thought of as a dead series. The very early books ran from really good and thoughtful ones to collections of incredibly bad Mary Sue stories (in fact the term A“Mary SueA” itself comes from a spoof of those bad ones) and it would have taken hiring someone to go through all of it which Paramount did not want to do.
  • Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
    Well this sure has my approval. Tobias has worked on another design of mine and did a great job. I just sent him over my original .ai file of the Titan Schematics and some shots of the 6ft Model. I will send him what ever he needs. I can't wait to see if he animates it.
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Well, this is going to be very interesting, as this is definitively one of my favorite fan created designs. I'm seeing several added details there and I'm liking them a lot.

I haven't read any post-Nemesis novel yet, they're on my list for when I can acquire an international credit card again. :p
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Dark Saber wrote: »
    Well this sure has my approval. Tobias has worked on another design of mine and did a great job. I just sent him over my original .ai file of the Titan Schematics and some shots of the 6ft Model. I will send him what ever he needs. I can't wait to see if he animates it.

How is the 6ft model? Do you know where it's being stored.
    (P.S can't wait to see the Luna in dock with other ships....(hint hint Tobias)
    The 6ft is in storage somewhere. Alec Peters last saw it at Kennedy Space Center. I want to see here in formation with Voayager and Enterprise-D since they are the ships that she was supposed to be closest in size from the contest. I also would love to see her with the Enterprise-E.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Well this one is going to blow mine out the water!! ha ha!

here's some pics of my handywork, also got Sean's imput, so its as accurate as I could make it.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/USSTitanLunaClass#

and heres all the refs i got, some stuff from Sean as well.. especially the captains yacht.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/LunaRefs

... eng hull is a pita to get right, so good luck with it!
    looking forward to some great stuff!! and looking forward to it being docked at DS9!

here's some pics of my handywork, also got Sean's imput, so its as accurate as I could make it.

and heres all the refs i got, some stuff from Sean as well.. especially the captains yacht.

looking forward to some great stuff!! and looking forward to it being docked at DS9!

Hey you did a fantastic job on yours. No problems from me. I love seeing everyones take on the design. They all have to be better that the one in Star Trek Online.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    If anyone can make this ship look good it'll be you, Tobias.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Update - pretty much done with the saucer, now the secondary hull and the connected bridge will be tackled...

titan_wip_05.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/titan/titan_wip_05.jpg

titan_wip_06.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/titan/titan_wip_06.jpg
    some interesting takes :)

yeah the "cranked arrow" saucer shape took me a few times to get right :)

looking good!, and have fun with the eng hull! ( took me atleast 20 tries to get the darn thing looking good!)
    Looking great. I know it's the way it's designed, but the front of the saucer looks warped. ;)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Looking good so far.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member

That will come in handy, I am going to start texturing it soon now that I have it converted to Lightwave.
    Tobias, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'd love to see this in a shot with your DS9 and Defiant models.
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG209 Posts: 203Member
    Great detailed model. I look forward to seeing more greebles. Keep it up!
    Looking great. I know it's the way it's designed, but the front of the saucer looks warped. ;)

I looked up Sean T's sight. I was shocked that it's official (for an unofficial ship) speed was warp 9.99! An it doesn't have a saucer even remotely similary to Voyager and none of it's advances. Maybe a case of advances for the sake of advances. I wish they'd look at thing with a bit more tech savvy.
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member

I have to agree. The oddness of the frontal end of the saucer is arguably the only thing I don't like about this ship, I wonder why its like that.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I have to agree. The oddness of the frontal end of the saucer is arguably the only thing I don't like about this ship, I wonder why its like that.

You could always ask Sean. :lol:
    Indeed - and I think the slighty warped shape of the saucer is one of the points that make this design more interesting.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice start. Glad to see your taking a shoot at this.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Cool, don't know much about fan designs but this is of course looking great so far! Interesting and plausible design!
    Finished with the basic shape of the secondary hull and detailing the top of it...

titan_wip_07.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/titan/titan_wip_07.jpg

titan_wip_08.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/titan/titan_wip_08.jpg
    ooh! Very interesting takes on a few areas :)

how many times did it take you to get it right? ( mine.. 15 times.. literaly!)
    Luckily just one take, but that one took about 8 hours - and a bit of tweaking of some areas afterwards.
    One try? I knew you were good. ;) That's definitely a complex shape full of varying curves. My hat's off to you for getting that in one try, no matter how long it took. It looks great. :)