Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Titan / Luna Class

124»

• Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Sean,

Not to be...critical...(and yet). Now that I have enough detail on this ship. I'm rather shocked that I'm counting only 4 phaser strips. The tube count seems to be at 2 fore, 2 aft. I know it's a heavy explorer type cruiser but I'd liked to ask if the low armament count by design?

Tobias...the detail on the front of the launcher is rather unique and interesting. It is your detailing or was that transferred from the design?

Yes Marco and Simon and Schuster wanted the Luna fleet to be explorers so he limited the amount Photon Launchers and Phasers. Originally the Launchers on the Pod were multi Purpose but that was changed and I even had a Phaser strip on the top of the Pod in my original shcematics.
  • trekkitrekki951 Posts: 1,403Member
    Wie immer ....
    Very good .
    Gruse
    :cool:
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    SO great looking, and I love that close-up shot with all the detail. Love it! Always love your lighting too Tobias, I'm sure it's something pretty straight forward but I'm always curious how other people do it around here. Do you use any GI?
  • L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    Another gorgeous model! Love the added torpedo launchers just above the deflector dish.

But I have a few questions for Dark Saber about the design.

Are all the windows/viewports on the bridge and around it all ceiling ones?
    The windows/viewports along the upper saucer edge, are they all one deck or are they split across two decks? It otherwise has always looked like they are wrongly placed with them sweeping upwards towards the aft of the saucer.
    How many decks are there below the saucer edge? Because it appears as if there are too many windows/viewports or are they mostly floor ones? I guess you could include this within an overall question on the number of decks.
    Does the Titan have a saucer separation ability? I noticed that the Mirrorverse version does.
    The RCS system, are those scattered along the saucer edge or is that some other system?
    The lifeboats, are they E-E style and come out as a unit or are those doors like on Voyager?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've long wondered these since seeing the Titan. I like it since it does blend in so many design elements from other ships and to be honest, makes me think "Hot Rod" with the nacelles, when I look at it. It looks Star Trek to me.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    I don't think the phaser strips operate better in larger quantity.
    I would say you only require enough coverage with any given strip - seeing how it should be technologically viable for a single phaser strip to fire multiple, equally most powerful shots.
    If it does come down to emitters being lined within a strip, then each emitter will have a fixed highest possible energy output it can muster, and others should be capable of discharging at the same time and at equally powerful levels.

Most situations didn't require usage of multiple beams from the same strip at the same time, but they WERE used on rare occasions - and besides, I don't think the VFX team (or the writers) understood the technological capabilities of the Federation (in the 24th century no less) to portray them properly (if anything, the technology was unimpressive and should have been exponentially more evolved compared to anything we saw - that's what you get when limiting a TV show to current mindsets).

Anyway... the model looks great Tobias, though the deflector and bussards perhaps look a bit too clean. Not that it would be anything bad... its just odd.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great work as always, Tobias. :thumb:

As long as you have 360 degree coverage on all three axes, you don't have to have a lot of phaser strips. The strips I see on there technically could provide the required coverage, so you're good to go. The only reason to have more would be to fire multiple arrays at once and do more damage, as we saw the Enterprise do against the Borg in The Best of Both Worlds. You could also alternate banks, making sure none overheat. But, as this ship isn't supposed to be a combat ship, it makes sense to limit its weapons systems. That leaves more room on the ship for other systems.
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG209 Posts: 203Member
    I hope with time I will be able to understand how you can make models so fast. Precision and style.
    It's just perfect.
    Congrat:thumb:
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Great work as always, Tobias. :thumb:

As long as you have 360 degree coverage on all three axes, you don't have to have a lot of phaser strips. The strips I see on there technically could provide the required coverage, so you're good to go. The only reason to have more would be to fire multiple arrays at once and do more damage, as we saw the Enterprise do against the Borg in The Best of Both Worlds. You could also alternate banks, making sure none overheat. But, as this ship isn't supposed to be a combat ship, it makes sense to limit its weapons systems. That leaves more room on the ship for other systems.

Phasers in array form have a few distinct advantages to a turret.
    -Cooling happens faster after firing because of an immense shared surface area
    -Damage Redundancy
    -Continuous Fire. Galaxy was capable of lengthy fire duration by sweeping through it's phaser arcs (as seen in Yesterdays Enterprise)
    -Max fire-power is elevated due to higher radiating rate.

I do fear that the Luna class will not have adequate coverage to the lower aft. While it seems most of the upper arc is covered by the spine array and lower arc covered by the Belly array small ships could take advantage of the blind area immediately bellow the shuttlebay.

I consider Luna official (at least more than the Enterprise F) it will be the first hero ship in this weight class with less than 8 phaser hardpoints. It's going to need those quantums.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely gorgeous rendering of a cracking design. Great collaboration guys, looks truly authentic to the Trek universe.

:thumb:
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Someone built a Lightwave version years ago and was going to release it but never did. I don't remember who that was or what happened to it. Tobias this looks great but I wouldn't expect anything of yours to turn out bad.
    That was Ellery Connell aka Masterjedi and the one that did the cover for Sword of Damocles. He never finished it and never released it unfortunately. But acouple of people actually do have his mesh and are working with it. I am very pleased with how Tobias's mesh turned out and it will carry the Torch for the ship. I hope that this version of the ship will get it into the Ships of the Line Calender in the coming future.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking fantastic.
    Never been a fan of the just blue deflector, I would perfer some details in there, that is the only thing I don't like about this design.
  • ihlecreationsihlecreations0 Posts: 0Member
    Please do! might have to dust of my old one and try some new pods... honestly didn't think of alternatives!
    Ha! but your design wasn't voted ugliest.
    Freak wrote: »
    This is looking fantastic.
    Never been a fan of the just blue deflector, I would perfer some details in there, that is the only thing I don't like about this design.

I'd agree with that.
    The deflector was only a senosr dish back in the TOS now it's a deflector, Long Range Sensor and an array of telescopes and scanners.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    HereA’s a cover I did recently for an upcoming Simon&Schuster book - featuring the Titan...
    http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-the-poisoned-chalice
    I wish the perspective was better but it's a nice scene.
    Odd that it doesn't say TITAN for the series.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    HereA’s a cover I did recently for an upcoming Simon&Schuster book - featuring the Titan...
    http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-the-poisoned-chalice
    Would that be the chalice from the palace? Or the vessel with the pestle? Or the flagon with the dragon?
    Great job Tobias. I love the angel you used for this scene.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Well, that was the editors choice - I had given them 4 layouts and they choose this one. ItA’s an unusual angle for the Titan, but I think it is nice to see her from that perspective.
    Saquist wrote: »
    I wish the perspective was better but it's a nice scene.
    Odd that it doesn't say TITAN for the series.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great work as usual, Tobias. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the perspective. There have been lots of orbital shots done in Trek, especially the later shows, from that perspective.
    Well, that was the editors choice - I had given them 4 layouts and they choose this one. ItA’s an unusual angle for the Titan, but I think it is nice to see her from that perspective.

Not the angle of the shot.
    I've been wondering why Titan doesn't get the focal length in these type of shots.
    It's probably the wide stance of the ship from front the back that spoils the sleeker looking shot.
    I've only seen it a few times. I wonder if it was just the lack of detail that prevented that.