Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    the big hatches are missile silos and the square thingys above and below the hatches are the retros. As far as the class name, I haven't come up with one, the only background I'm thinking is that it is a very new design and is meant as a war loss replacement. If you have any ideas, just email me. And I think a nod to the Moscow can surely be added!

@Khay, Maybe the boondoggles of the F-22, F-35, and Littorial Combat Ship finally taught the US military industrial complex to keep it simple. ;)
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    BTW, do you use "Normal push-pull" ? Since it left a lot of garbage, when used on curved surfaces.
    It does. I use this plugin http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22920 to take care of most of it automatically. I usually run it just once per session.
    For now, I`m trying to work with Vector Push Pull. It provides some results without much garbage geometry. But thanx once again.
    Tonight's update. I think it's gone from the 'this looks like crap and isn't going to work' phase to the 'ok, maybe it will.'
    one.
    78913971.png

Playing around with the idea that the radiators fold out like so when it is jumping
    10453055.png
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Regarding the radiators: The artist in me says, "Neat!" The engineer in me says, "a cruciform shape is the best way to radiate heat. Less bouncing of the infrared radiation that way." Now, a deployable droplet radiator array that sprays coolant back to the hull would also be interesting to see. :)
    Closed ones looks better IMHO. Open ones will radiate heat hell knows where, both on each other and back on the hull too. So, my guess - leave them be a "hull-conformal" radiators. Add another set of deployable ones, id you think they are needed. That was the solution for Moscow class, any way.

2 Mikey-B: Droplet radiator array was on HRE corvette, which was never completed. Maybe I`ll rebuild the model later, if I`ll get the right mood.
    Think I'll just keep them hull conformal then.
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    The UEO frigate is coming along very nicely! I live the vertical orientation and the folding spin habitats are neat. Can't stop looking at the US frigate though; I LOVE the design.

-Will
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    1) Folding those radiator panels away from the hull like that serves no useful purpose, and in fact adds the complexity of the moving joints with reduced efficiency as they radiate into each other. Since you're obviously taking care to make these ships plausible (which I greatly appreciate, BTW!), I'd suggest that you leave that out.

2) I love the design here. A big brick painted Russian Armor Green flying through space with all the power and subtlety that bricks are known for. :D Can I assume that it spews forth copious amounts of missiles?
    Just four missiles I'm affraid. And I'm really tempted to do a 'Nelson Checker' on it as far as a paint schemet.
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    As far as the class name, I haven't come up with one, the only background I'm thinking is that it is a very new design and is meant as a war loss replacement. If you have any ideas, just email me.

Tribal class! found a great book on them butt

if you want to do the Checker do the "Hero class" and include heros throughout the Commonwealth... just so were clear this class compliments the Leander class cruiser?
    Yep, this is an all new ship, not a redesign.
    aaaaaand tonite's update. Starting to detail the hull
    43229264.png
    28346642.png
    Also redoing the soviet frigate that will be finished first. Here is a test render
    ussrfrig1color.png

So, That just leaves the UOE frigate and I will be done with this round. I'll throw it up there, what would you guys like to see next, a round of commercial ships (SSTO passenger shuttle, zero-g shuttle pod, small interplanetary tramp freighter, and big ass commercial cargo ship) or a round of historical ships?
  • PanPan1 Posts: 0Member
    aaaaaand tonite's update. Starting to detail the hull
    So, That just leaves the UOE frigate and I will be done with this round. I'll throw it up there, what would you guys like to see next, a round of commercial ships (SSTO passenger shuttle, zero-g shuttle pod, small interplanetary tramp freighter, and big ass commercial cargo ship) or a round of historical ships?

I'm for commercial ships. Given the quality of the new renderings, as well as new ideas, it was used very curious what happens.
    And more.Why do they say that this UOE frigate, such as it was written that this Commonwealth frigate?
  • Coota0Coota0331 Posts: 66Member
    Historical (or maybe just the FT-17)
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    I say go for a round of commercial ships for a change.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    very very nice
    Pan wrote: »
    say that this UOE frigate, such as it was written that this Commonwealth frigate?
    Mean I still have to do the UOE one after these are done.
  • PanPan1 Posts: 0Member
    Mean I still have to do the UOE one after these are done.

You want to remake one of the previously created frigates (Jetlanko, Sabro) or do something new?
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd go for the civilian ships. I would love to see a new iteration fo the humble yet awesome Cometa, and the Gudren Maersk deserves a big sister. Very, very big ^^
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    I will dissent and argue for historical designs; I really like the 'future history' of VIA and I'd like to see more. :)

-Will
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    I like how they fold out prior to jump. Yes, having the radiators bounce their emissions off each other like that would be less ideal in reality, but who knows what's ideal when you're talking about FTL transit. Plus, showing off some cool tech under the panels just prior to jump is a great way to build drama.

Not only does it give a visual clue that something dramatic is going to happen (like the glowing Nacelles on a Star Trek ship, Galactica pulling in her flight pods, Serenity lighting up her glowy firefly-butt) the ship just looks faster with her wings up.
    Problem is - VIA`s ships hardly will see any animation. So, we have to make them "cool looking" while being still image. Open radiators give birth to plausability questions, so, I think that Bbzw2 is right to make them a hull-conforming ones. Also, As you probably noticed, there is very little amount of meaningless greebles on VIA-universe ships. If there is a detail - it is supposed to be used somehow. Of course, some are just looks plausable, but still. I mean, that "showing cool tech under radiators" will hardly happen - there will be simple bays to contain them :)
    Should have this done sometime over the weekend. Color scheme inspired by the Westland Wessex's that always flew over my home when I was a boy.
    ukfrigcolor.png
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Should have this done sometime over the weekend. Color scheme inspired by the Westland Wessex's that always flew over my home when I was a boy.
    ukfrigcolor.png

Oh thats just damn beautiful.

Curious cat: Could you show us the wireframe of this from SU? Curious to see how you tackled certain things.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    ukfrigcolor.png

Oh thats just damn beautiful.

Curious cat: Could you show us the wireframe of this from SU? Curious to see how you tackled certain things.
    Sure! It weighs in at 585,187 faces and 1246430 edges.
    ukfrig.png
    ukfrigcolor.png
    Looks almost completed. Maybe, painting radiators "gold" as you do on US ships will look even better? Also, funny thing - the color scheme seems to adopt similar "easy recognition" principes, as HRE ships do. Mono-colored hull and brightly colored stripes.

Another sideway thought - it looks like most countries use cold-gas thrusters for verniers (very compact exhausts with very limited space inside for thrusters), while HRE use nuclear rockets even for steering. The in-universe explanations can be, that HRE`s engineers prefere to keep advanced maneuverability and ease of propellant supply (same propellant is used for main thrusters) over potential hazards of numerous nuclear thrusters around the ship.
    Lets see;
    ukfrigcolor.png
    I think it is a pretty jarring contrast.