Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    I guess, "virtual cockpit" is more or less standard issue in VIA.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    @knight; stretched the cockpit out, it looks much better, less bubble like.
    @Coota0; Well this one is a planet based one. I'm imagining the soviets are not that big into carrier based transatmospheric craft and prefer vacuum only space fighters. As far as landing, I'm thinking match speed and heading and then a movable gantry latches onto the fighter and drags it into its docking bay.
    @Stonecold; I'd say so, clear canopies are just for emergencies.
    Here is an update with the elongated canopy. Think it is starting to come together
    ussr1.png
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Much better, very nice looking, but again, just raise the spine behind the cockpit a little and blend it into the back of the canopy a little more, you started doing that, but just increase that a bit, I think it would just make the whole thing look a lot better, though it is gorgeous as is.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Update on the Framer. Today is one of those days when sketchup simply refuses to do what I want it to do! Frustrating!

ussr1.png
    coming on beautifully, you mention going over it in photoshop to fill in the details, is there no way to texture them in sketchup. you could make a large texture for the whole model including all the dirt and wear etc then use position texture to put it on all the faces. that might allow for export to other software where you can render. really nice detail work, panel lines look like they are properly indented.
    Here is an update with the elongated canopy. Think it is starting to come together
    ussr1.png

also very awesome, have you started to texture in this image?

p.s. far prefer the front view, just looks a bit strange from the rear, still very nice however.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    It turned really great!
  • Coota0Coota0331 Posts: 66Member
    Cool!
    Thanks again!
    @Knight26; I'm afraid to extend the spine any more would require basically redoing the whole rear fuselage. But I'm going to incorporate your suggestion into doing a 2 man version that is a dedicated attack craft, sort of the SU-34 version if this one is the SU-27.
    @Starfighter; Nope, no textures yet. The panel lines look indented because they are! I use the invaluable joint push pull plugin to make life easy.
    Oh, the finished Squall is up in the finished work section BTW.
    Cool, I am just here to offer suggestions, and going with the bigger spine on the 2 seater sounds like a great plan.
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Cool, I am just here to offer suggestions,
    And they are greatly appreciated, especially given your background!
    Last WIP before moving on to the frigates! I really enjoy doing the soviets. Going to do a 3 tone splinter camo scheme on this one
    ussr1.png
    Looking good. What about airbrake behind the cockpit?

Also, some maneuvering thrusters nozzles on engine pods would be a nice detail.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    That is a sharp looking plane! I've just realised why the engines look familiar. The front reminds me (a little) of the old Ryan Firebee UAV.
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    She looks good. TOO good; you forgot it's supposed to be a Soviet spacecraft! ;)

-Will
    I love it, with those hoods on the front of the engines it looks very much like the VF-4 from Macross, love it.
    Last WIP before moving on to the frigates! I really enjoy doing the soviets. Going to do a 3 tone splinter camo scheme on this one
    ussr1.png
    EXCELLENT!!! have you ever considered adding internal detail to the cockpits or such, that way the canopy could be transparent which would improve your models even further.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

That thing looks vicious and delicious!
    С Днем Победы!
    Happy Victory Day!

Would be fun coincidence, if Bbzw2 will complete his MiG today :)
    Stonecold wrote: »
    С Днем Победы!
    Happy Victory Day!

Would be fun coincidence, if Bbzw2 will complete his MiG today :)
    oh yes, VE day. forgot that.
    Couldn't get it done by Victory Day unfortunately, but it's up in the finished work section now. So done with the first round of fighters! On to more substantial stuff. Here is a very early WIP of an american frigate; I usually start at the front and work my way back with the ships, so I thought I would change my routine up and start at the middle with the spin section;
    usfrig.png
    o_O... level of details is more then impressive...
    Stonecold wrote: »
    o_O... level of details is more then impressive...

Agreed
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    The small avatar of this (squeezed) on the In Progress page looks like a ship itself.
    Here is tonight's update on the hab pod. Debating on putting some windows on it to give it some color. I plane on doing these in very stark lighting conditions rather than the well lit look of the fighters.
    usfrig.png
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    As a function over form guy, I have to say that windows on a rotating hab section would REALLY mess with people's inner ears. I can't imagine living in a room where down felt like down but the windows showed me endlessly falling.

That said, it's your model and it looks GREAT! They all have so far.
    I'll try it both ways with the lights.

One of the things I'm thinking off is basically breaking down the vessels into two broad categories; ships and boats. Ships are able to travel interstellarly and boats, regardless of their size, are interplanetary only. Boats would still be FTL capable, just with a range that is a fraction of ships. It just seems to make sense that a smaller nation that does not have colonies would have not need of expensive long range jump drives that would never be of use. I also think it makes sense for the major powers to have both, pretty much equivalent to today's naval ships that seem to be classified as either blue water or littoral. Anyone want to sound off on this idea?
    good spin section but i'd like to see the rest of the ship. idea of boats and ships could be interesting, an interesting variation on the normal ideas of either starships that can do everything(and fighters that can do the same), or of starships for space travel and shuttles for surface to orbit.
    Agreed. The idea of FTL capable but not interstellar capable "boats" is a good one. Like you say even big nations would use them for system patrol/defence and they'd be a godsend for smaller countries. Also agree with Sanderlee, windows would be too confusing for the crew.
    Yes, official defintion of spacecraft between "littoral" and "deep space" ones is a good idea IMHO.