Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Originally Posted by Tombo
    @Spacefighter - If you think the Yan-class is "blocky and boring", you're gonna love their American counterparts

only the nose, the rear i like.
    Thats why on later HRE ships FTL missiles are packed in dispensable containers and are just hanged on the outside of the ship. Detach it from ship, let it drift 20-30 meters away using low power cold-gas thrusters and only then engage main nuclear thrust.
    that idea could be improved by letting the missiles drift far away and then firing in which case the enemy will find it harder to trace them back and find your ship(although they might be able to see your ship easily if you are thrusting). if they are autonomous enough you cousd even leave them in a system like mines and then when an enemy shows up they activate and fire themselves at it.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    that idea could be improved by letting the missiles drift far away and then firing in which case the enemy will find it harder to trace them back and find your ship(although they might be able to see your ship easily if you are thrusting). if they are autonomous enough you cousd even leave them in a system like mines and then when an enemy shows up they activate and fire themselves at it.
    Sorry, but thats bad idea. You see, VIA-verse is dominated by real life physics laws (well, with some exceptions, like FTL drive). And those laws dictate following rules (among the others):
    1) No stealth in space. No, really, there is no freaking way to hide your ship/missile/mine, without breaking laws of physics.
    2) Everyone sees everyone. This means, that after you ships fold-in, every interested being in a star system, will know, that you are there. Speed of light time lag included, of course. So, in theory, using the FTL drive, you CAN arrive before the news of your arrival. But, that is more than dangerous, due to FTL-drive accuracy limitations.

And, due to those two rules, "minefields" are not that usefull, since enemy WILL detect them in advance. The only use of delayed-launch torpedos, as I see it, is on stationary defence - to achieve massive first launch on approaching enemy, with just a few actual ships.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Started working on the redo of the Furiozo, one of the ones that I never felt I got 100% right.

56031803.png
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    It was definitely one that had a good story but yeah something about it was always off. I would maybe up the final production amount too. I cannot wait to see the USAF shriek.
    I forgot about the shirke completely! I'm also looking at some old models that can be updated without starting from scratch. This soviet frigate should be good to go
    ussrfrig1color.png
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like the Furioso lost some fat and gained some muscles :)
    I don't see much differences on the frigate model. Which is fine because i loved it the way it was!
    Yeah, very minor tweaks on the frigate. I'm very happy with how this one is shaping up;
    eurofighter1.png
    I was allways wondering, how the pilot of Furioso sees anything straight forward? You could have used completely armored cockpit with this design, actually. Thou, have to admit, that I like the "sparrow-like" design of this craft.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    I agree with Stonecold, I like the Furioso a lot, but the visibility issue is a problem for me, maybe it has a virtual cockpit?
    How bout something like this;
    eurofighter1.png
    This was the look I was originally going for way back when, the cut down canopy was a compromise because I couldn't get it to look right at the time.

Actually, should do both. The bubble canopy one can be a later mark to increase visibility, sort of like the P-51D
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    Maybe the earlier version used an experimental VR system to supplement the crappy forward vision, but (like most experimental systems) it wasn't as effective as the designers hoped so they switched back to a more conventional design (a design I like a lot by the way)
    Sounds like a plan.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Sounds about right Tombo, can't see the pics here at work, will comment on how it looks when I get home
    Little update.
    euro2y.png
    Looks good in gray. Everything is made with materials, actual textures, or your regular "paint over" style? Hard to tell from render, actually.
    Everything in that pic is sketchup just with materials. I'm going to do it in a two tone finish, very heavily weathered.
    eurofighter3.png
    Still have a long way to go, but weathering is the most fun bit for me!
    Next is a redo of the commonwealth Squall. My plan is to do one fighter for each of the major powers, then do one small ship for each of them.
    ukf1.png
    that's nice, i guess the huge intake at the front is for the main engine. good use of a very smooth hull yet some subtle greebling applied brilliantly.
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it! The rational part of my mind asks, "why does a spacecraft have an intake?" but hey, artistic license. Maybe it's an aerospace craft?

In any case, it's a sweet design, and it conveys a sense of power and speed. It reminds me of an interceptor; a craft designed to go very, very fast in a more or less straight line, like the Foxbat. :)

Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying this thread.
    It is an aerospace fighter.

Excellent work on "Squall" - one of my favorite fighters, made by you )
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Next is a redo of the commonwealth Squall. My plan is to do one fighter for each of the major powers, then do one small ship for each of them.
    ukf1.png

God Save The King!
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Zeropoint wrote: »
    I like it! The rational part of my mind asks, "why does a spacecraft have an intake?" but hey, artistic license. Maybe it's an aerospace craft?

That british curvy sexy design is made to fit this :)
    Khay wrote: »
    ooh the sabre, that skylon spaceplane it is developed to power could well be the best thing for space travel this century.
    that's nice, i guess the huge intake at the front is for the main engine. good use of a very smooth hull yet some subtle greebling applied brilliantly.
    Thanks! To be honest, I've never thought about the gaping hole at the front, I just like the look of it, to me it makes any craft aggressive looking. If anything I'd say it houses sensors and retro rockets.
    Zeropoint wrote: »
    In any case, it's a sweet design, and it conveys a sense of power and speed. It reminds me of an interceptor; a craft designed to go very, very fast in a more or less straight line, like the Foxbat. :)
    Lots of my designs are inspired (ripped off) from mid to late 20th century fighters, this one is liberally cribbed from BAC Lightning, very much the interceptor you describe!
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Excellent work on "Squall" - one of my favorite fighters, made by you )
    Thank you! Means an awful lot coming from you!
    Tombo wrote: »
    God Save The King!
    May Bonnie King Eddie XII enjoy good health!
    As a quick plug, anyone who likes this stuff should check out the VIA wiki; http://via.wikia.com/wiki/Vir_Inter_Astrum_Wiki . Tombo has done an incredible job fleshing out this world and his work has been a huge inspiration to me. His writing skills and imagination far outstrips what I do!
    Khay wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and assume all the transatmospheric craft have this! One of the things I love about this community is that I can do just about any design and the more scientifically and technically adept members help fill in the blanks.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work on the Squall! Reminds me of the British Electric Lighting (back before it got pregnant and ugly)

The previous fighter, Furrizo is it? reminds me of the F-4 Phantom II. Brutish, but somehow sleek. The low-ish visibility cockpit really fits with the mid-60's aesthetic. Designers of that era seemed to like piling every radar and rararish thing they could think of into the cockpit, with resulting crappy visibility.
    Thanks Borkless. I can't really remember what my original inspiration was for the Furiozo, I was just thinking of something Dassault would maybe make.
    Got lots done on the Squall tonight;
    ukf1.png
    Thanks for the praise on the Wiki, I'm blushing like a schoolgirl here :p

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for the wiki they're free to add them, or at least mention them. I'm always on the look-out for new ideas.

I'm liking how the Squall's looking, it is a sweet and sexy little fighter :thumb:
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    The Squall looks GREAT. I liked the fighter to begin with but the new model is ace. Echoes the Lightning stronger than before in some ways, but that's a good thing to my eyes. :)

I'll see what I can do about adding some ideas to the Wiki, but Tombo has done such an amazing job I'm afraid anything I do will come off as amateur in comparison. ;)

-Will
    Thanks Will.
    Here is the last WIP of the Squall. Going with the Sqd 111 markings again. I'm debating eliminating the fuselage carried missiles, would to you guys think?
    ukf1color.png
    Looking very nice. Regarding the fuselage missile, it would probably effect airflow into the lower engine during atmospheric flight, so I'd be tempted to say loose it except maybe for purely exo-atmospheric missions.