Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSith Fury

[Deleted User][Deleted User]332 Posts: 0
edited December 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I have been absent for quite some time. Too much work and not enough time for the fun stuff. :argh:

I recently started a Blender modeling tutorial series using this Sith ship design from the Star Wars Old Republic MMO.

Thought I would post the results as I progress with the model, hunting for some crits...
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Tagged:

• jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good so far,well done.
    Merry Xmas.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    So far very well.Keep going.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Good start! :thumb:
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    looks really good so far
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    really good! This is my favorite SWTOR ship
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start, this is one of my favorite ships from that game (I also like the Imperial Agent ship. ;))
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Love this ship, looks great
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Excited to see where this goes! I loved the design in TOR and you're doing it in Blender, too!
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Cool ship, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.
  • Thanks for the kind words. Hope you all are having a good holiday.

Here's some work on the backside...
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice! did you use blender for this.
  • nice! did you use blender for this.

oh yeah. blender ftw...

...and instead of making a separate post, here's a rough-out of the cockpit.
  • Not much, but progress...
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Great stuff. The ship designs were one of the few things aout TOR I liked. :)
    Any progress is good progress. :) It's looking good so far.
  • Finally!--Some rough detail on cockpit and the top parts...
    Just getting the placement/proportion of the pieces arranged at this point.
    Hooray! Glad to see you back at this!
    Great stuff. :)
  • Thanks for the kind words

The hard part of the wings--done. It started out fairly simple until I got to modeling the vent things on the wings. That's when the thing started mocking me. But I think I beat it into submission to a certain extent.
    The hard part of the wings--done. It started out fairly simple until I got to modeling the vent things on the wings. That's when the thing started mocking me. But I think I beat it into submission to a certain extent.
    Looking sharp!

The "vent things" are heat radiators, if the ship follows traditional Sienar design (like the other TIE-series craft).
  • everything4meeverything4me0 Posts: 0Member
    looking good ! it is almost what u have wanted. I like 3D modeling so I know how long does it take to create models . I appreciate your work ! Keep on going ! :)
  • McC wrote: »
    The "vent things" are heat radiators, if the ship follows traditional Sienar design (like the other TIE-series craft).

I thought that's what they were but 'vent things' sounded more sophisticated :lol:

Detailed the engines and the ramp...then it's on to the landing gear.
    Love it!

Only suggestion is to consider adding a slight bevel to any sharp edges, so as to get rid of the perfect digital corners.
  • McC wrote: »
    Love it!

Only suggestion is to consider adding a slight bevel to any sharp edges, so as to get rid of the perfect digital corners.

yeah, i am at about that point to get to all the smaller detail, now that all the pieces are where they belong. Still have to group a bunch of things together and prep for unwrapping. glad you like it. I have never attempted a large model like this.

i just noticed the signature on your posts--as an English major I have no choice but to appreciate a snarky grammar rule :D
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    seen those latest renders, awesome, nice engine exhausts on either side. is the middle one an engine or a docking port? also a good general shape with some awesome details(vents,pipes,etc). all it needs is a texture to look amazing and even then as there is so much detail you may only need to add some type of metal texture to the surfaces rather than a full UV map. in this model you have managed things with blender that i could only dream of doing.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Bevel now, or you'll regret it later.

Looks really nice so far.

Is it just me or is there something odd about the radiator grills at the forward tips of the wing? The shading there makes it look like there's a dimple or curvature to the surface; shouldn't it be planar? It might just be a trick of the lighting though.
    Bevel now, or you'll regret it later.
    Words of wisdom from the Grand Moff of Imperial modeling. :D
    Is it just me or is there something odd about the radiator grills at the forward tips of the wing? The shading there makes it look like there's a dimple or curvature to the surface; shouldn't it be planar? It might just be a trick of the lighting though.
    I see what you're talking about. It looks like the wing surface wasn't quite planar when inset, and the radiator grilles took on that non-planarity when inset.
  • I think the shine if from the sun lamp pointing directly at the model. The vents on the bottom are just mirrors of the one on the top wing tip. i may have to do some tweaks on that part...here's a screen of the geometry:

Attachment not found.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    I think the shine if from the sun lamp pointing directly at the model. The vents on the bottom are just mirrors of the one on the top wing tip. i may have to do some tweaks on that part...here's a screen of the geometry:

Attachment not found.

Not quite sure why there is a kink in the pattern there. Isn't the whole wing section planar?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like there is a triangle section at the nose of that fin which is slightly off planar, can just about see it in that top view too. could be intentional though, judging from all that detailed geometry in that area you'd have to have noticed it while building that part.

Lovely model by the way, don't know why it took me so long to check out this thread. loving the level of detail you're putting into this.