Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStormcloud's Star Wars Ships

12345679»

• XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    I was gonna comment on the cannon thing until I saw what barricade was getting at.

I think his idea works.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    ok lost my old tie fighter design but i know it was a monstrous mess of a mesh =) (trying saying that five time quickly lol) so i started again with losely the same idea but got some new thigns going on too - still much to do for it but key design elements are

this is the ultimate in the tie fighter line (strictly speaking its not a tie fighter and instead is a hybrid twin ion engine and quad micro fusion engines - this gives its a lot of power reserves - hence despite its larger size (is a two man side by side cockpit) it maintains even exceeds the tie interceptors acceleration rate while carrying hyperdrive and shield generators and 10 torp magazine (not added the torp launcher yet)

in additition to its 4 lasers/blasters and its torps it also has a defensive turret - turret uses kinetic ammo to avoid to much stress on power generators

obviously it has s-foil type things going on can decide which configuration is for cruise and which is for combat yet - will see as it progresses

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzx2a3mdxbuxlkf/Screenshot%202014-05-02%2019.39.14.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/71akanj4w955kgo/Screenshot%202014-05-02%2019.46.48.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnsnq3vw9pnshr0/Screenshot%202014-05-02%2019.47.35.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrv12q92ad82zi4/Screenshot%202014-05-02%2019.48.27.png
    105758.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a really cool design. It looks like a progression in the Interceptor line.

It never ceases to amaze me how many designs people have come up with based on the TIE series from the movies. Granted, I don't always like them, but it's still interesting to see.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    That would look great in episode 7.
    changed the cockpit - made it more classic and a bit to the engines too and some refinements here and there
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1j57b3wrgut3la/Screenshot%202014-05-02%2023.17.25.png
  • gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    Fantastic Tie, Great Job!
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Love it!
    Really great design Stormcloud.
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Anyway, she's a beauty!
    I love the overall design. Great job you're running with it !!

S.

did a little vid spin around
    Wow,that is awesome dude.
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    -snipped EPIC vid clip-

Ohhhh nice. I like how you made the wing panels actually semi-transparent. I'm not particularly fond of the aft turret (it's an intercepter/space superiority fighter, not a fighter-bomber), but that's just me nitpicking things, and a personal preference - I DO like the turret itself, just not on a TIE fighter of any sorts. *shrugs*

Took me several moments to realize you gave it the same lasers as an X-wing, if integrated into the wing panels themselves, rather then sticking out on the ends. Nice touch.

EDIT: correction, there is a TIE bomber variant out there (over at one of the 2D SW art forums) that mounts a fore & aft turret in place of the bomber pod, which does look good, as a kind of gunship. But that's literally the only one I like. Meh, I'm just being a stick in the mud.
    Barricade wrote: »
    Ohhhh nice. I like how you made the wing panels actually semi-transparent. I'm not particularly fond of the aft turret (it's an intercepter/space superiority fighter, not a fighter-bomber), but that's just me nitpicking things, and a personal preference - I DO like the turret itself, just not on a TIE fighter of any sorts. *shrugs*

panels aren't transparent - its just they are made of hundreds of radiator vanes when you look at them in line with the vanes you can see through between them making ti look transparent

as for the turret - this isn't a space superiority fighter - its a multirole craft - have decided against making a 2 pilot craft in the end but its still bigger than an interceptor by virtue of longer wing pylons and the extra hull volume in the middle so kinda like the idea of the turret - though i might edit the ammo feeds to be less sticky uppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bLXLFOppI&feature=youtu.be re rendered it over night at higher res
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xah3zmofjd7jmbu/Screenshot%202014-05-04%2015.53.17.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f4ifo0mmcf2ng6/Screenshot%202014-05-04%2015.42.54.png

some minor updates and a cockpit added not that you can really see it other than the red interior lights
    I like the way the wings fold.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Really, really, really liking this. Awesome little ship and I think it follows the prequels much better than the original TIE does.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work Stormcloud, meant to comment on this earlier. Have to admit I too am not a fan of the turret, but love the overall design and folding wing detail. I think it could do with being a little less busy in some areas around the pod and struts (the little fins either side of the cockpit ball in particular), and not sure if I like the block of mech and pipes combo on the wing, but overall I am really loving the design, despite that all sounding quite negative. I think with a little more refining you'll have an awesome and original TIE design here, looking forward to seeing more.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/07se914s8lkw9we/tie2.jpg

put in a setting - updates etc probably not noticeable here though
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Should be more bolt-like and less stream-like.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Beautiful pic,but agree with oldmangreg,bolts would look better.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Wait, is that a beam weapon? Not the typical bolt-like weapon usually seen on TIE-fighters?
    all lasers are beams as far as the human eye is concerned - but i grant you its not the normal sw fighter look but i was easier to achieve as i suck at effects - but i am trying to come up with a more bolt like look - hopefully it will turn out ok and can show you
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    technically they should be solid lines from the gun "muzzle" to the target, in a vacuum they wouldn't be visible anyway but a beam is far more accurate than a bolt in terms of how a laser weapon would actually look. you could improve the beams a little by having more lens flare due to them and some slight reduction in intensity towards the edges of the beam. liking the fighter and that pitted panel behind the cockpit is especially cool, the "transparency" on the radiators makes sense to increase the surface area of the piping through which your heat transferring fluid is pumped.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    technically they should be solid lines from the gun "muzzle" to the target, in a vacuum they wouldn't be visible anyway but a beam is far more accurate than a bolt in terms of how a laser weapon would actually look. you could improve the beams a little by having more lens flare due to them and some slight reduction in intensity towards the edges of the beam. liking the fighter and that pitted panel behind the cockpit is especially cool, the "transparency" on the radiators makes sense to increase the surface area of the piping through which your heat transferring fluid is pumped.

Unfortunately your entire beam vs bolt comment is irrelevant. If you have seen the original Star Wars, you would know TIE Fighters shoot their weapons in bolts not beams. In fact the only time beams were used were on capital ships in the Prequels (or the Death Star when it blew up Alderran).
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Looking great. The only thing I'd suggest is a softer falloff on the bolt glows. Are you using the edge alpha shader for those or something else?
    nah told you i suck at effects - its just a some modeled polygons crossed and with some circles along it to give it roundness if looking head on and same again with different colour one in the middle then ALOT of motion blur lol - anyone who has a link to weapon fire tutorial for lightwave feel free to point me at it
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    nah told you i suck at effects

That's OK, so do I. :lol: