Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStormcloud's Star Wars Ships

• jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Great looking ship.
    Got the"ITS A TRAP" feel to it.
    Dunno how a bunch of squid-heads managed to defeat the Empire though.....
    Love the Republic Clone Wars and Imperial ships better.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    never been a huge fan of mon cal ships either - thats why i liked the idea of a mon cal star destroyer - something that looked abit more worthy to fight an ISD
    Came across a Google image search of a
    "Imperial heavy troop transport" 3d model,sort of a beefed up LAAT/i,very crude model,but great design.
    Thought you might want to check it out,think you might like it.
    Pity there is only one pic of it.
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    jedi44 wrote: »
    Came across a Google image search of a
    "Imperial heavy troop transport" 3d model,sort of a beefed up LAAT/i,very crude model,but great design.
    Thought you might want to check it out,think you might like it.
    Pity there is only one pic of it.

Do you have a link?
    Just google image search and type"Imperial heavy troop transport",should be the first pic,its part of Modbb games mods for Star Wars.
    ok some more ships - first up a ship modeled for the intro of my little animation i am in perpetual planning off - is a fuel transfort and refueling ship - think a new hope opening but with this instead of tantive v and a Zuuzhan vong crusier and some coral skippers instead of an isd and you get the idea

and this is my take on a coral skipper - i know they are described as flying asteroids but i always jump straight to the coral part and go sealife look
    96650.jpg96651.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I think you have nailed the Vong ships perfectly--the mottled Man-Thing texture, the shell motif...it all works.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Very nice... I wouldn't mind seeing some more views of that tanker if you are so inclined...
    as is nearly always the case with me - not really quite finished so in that image had unfinished bits hidden or unilluminated but here you go
    96735.jpg96737.jpg
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    It's awesome, but looks more like something from near future Earth instead of Star Wars.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    I don't have any trouble seeing this in the Star Wars universe, just needs some more greebling is all... Thanks for the extra views, nice modeling all around!
    ok i'm revisiting the dreadnaught/ heavy interdictor that i started, now i love this design and i think it looks epic in orthographic viewports but i've been struggling to get nice looking angles for renders - basically comes down to the fact that there not quite enough of a wedge to it - needed more height in the triangles - not sure i'm explaining myself very well but shall present some basic rough ups of very similar design but afew changes to give it a less flat look

now the side and front view are really jsut for comparison with original - as i said i think the orininal looks great in those images prefer it alot actually but from the persepctive view what you think does this look better or should i stick with oringal shape
    96766.jpg96767.jpg96768.jpg
    Stick with the original. It's thin-ness is part of it's character. It makes it look larger in scale as well.

Man, looking at some of these great fan designed Star Destroyers makes me want to design one. I just have a feeling I couldn't come up with something that didn't look derivative or just wrong.
  • DragonDragon0 Posts: 0Member
    I totally agree with Sojourner, stay with your original design, it looks awesome as it is.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Have to agree. Was fine as it was.
    hmmm its difficult as i've said the thinness goes look great from orthographic views but i dont know - certainly would save alot or work staying with original - but i think i can do better this time anyway and can reuse anything that i think is good enough - more critically i could be less wasteful when it comes to polygons - afraid my computers not upto much and grinds to a halt when i load the old one up - making is nearly impossible to finish

one more comparison - now this is the exact same angle - i simple swapped one mesh for the other
    96783.jpg96784.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It is of course totally up to you. Looking at the thumbnails side by side before I look at the full size picture the one on the right does look a little better proportion wise, but on looking at the full size image I lean towards the first one. I think maybe if the trench wasn't so wide on the second one that might help it look better.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Please stay with the original; looks awesome as-is proportions wise.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    It is of course totally up to you. Looking at the thumbnails side by side before I look at the full size picture the one on the right does look a little better proportion wise, but on looking at the full size image I lean towards the first one. I think maybe if the trench wasn't so wide on the second one that might help it look better.

yeah i had already thought that myself and have narrowed by about 12 meters looks similar to the original now - maybe should strip the detailing off the first one as it obviously looks better when you can see all the guns etc - however looks like fractal has pronounced the original better and he kinda an authority on star destroyers - still i do think it doesn't look quite right from that perspective angle i showed and its kinda the angle i wanna use for flyby shots lol

might keep working on both - though old one either needs a better computer or lightwave code rewritten to handle high geometry better if i'm gonna add more detail - i had orignally thought to spit it into bits to model it but i dont know i tried and didn't seem to work well always wanted to reference the rest of it =(
    Yep,the first looks better,but give the second one a go and see how it looks.
    We love the ships you make no matter what.
    little update on new version - have to say more i play with it more i like this one - i think i've managed to keep the essence of the old one while incorporating the changes forced on it by thickening the wedge - i also scalled the guns up but i wonder if thats having the effect of making the ship look smaller - the main guns each one is 70m long lol thats a BIG gun - will detail abit more and if still looks small will scale the guns back down again to where there were on original - on an asside are 70m long guns feasible on star destroyer?

anyway
    96801.jpg96802.jpg96803.jpg
    Great job so far,nice design!
    oh dear, i set out thinking i could make this one lower poly than last but i've come up with places to add the polys i'm managed to save - cant say for sure yet since long way to go but i suspect this one will be every bit as heavy as the last - gonna need to get a new computer
    96810.jpg96811.jpg96812.jpg
    How high poly are the guns? Maybe you could make very low poly versions and just swap in a high poly model for any close up images you render?
    then guns were rediuclasly detailed - i modeled them first when i started this ship each gun was 21k polys each -times that by 36 and thats not far shy of mil poly gun in guns - but i've got them down about 9k each so thats a big improvement - but its likely the detailing and engines that will be the killers now - anyway shall persevere - am feeling enthusiastic about this ship again now i've sorted the perspective view issues
    More power to you. I just don't have the patience for detailing. I'm always moving on to a new ship long before the current one is finished.
    sojourner wrote: »
    More power to you. I just don't have the patience for detailing. I'm always moving on to a new ship long before the current one is finished.

lol look back through this thread - dont think i have a single finished ship yet :)
    Hehe, yours are reading for filming compared to mine.
    ok another update - aside from tiny bit more work on the bow and cut out bit and maybe bit of surface detail on the wings - the main trench is done

not as detailed as some but about as high as i want to go since i'm not a huge detailing freak and my computer would start to complain if there was any more but i think the effect would hold up in motion to as close as i've take this shot from

for an idea of scale the windows are 1m square and the turbo laser towers around the edge from the base of the tower are about 8m high
    96855.jpg96856.jpg
    Great job!
    Love the ships you make.