Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalStudio Scale K'tinga

• AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    wow, nice renders :D

for what is that flipped half-track-chassis there?

will you paint it at the end too, or is that your costomers task then?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    REL777 wrote: »
    I'm building it for a client.

Now that you have built one, you have the "forms" / "molds" for making more of them. It would be a shame not to.
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you.

I'm working on the turrets and lower details of the command structure.
    ss_ktinga_81.jpg
    ss_ktinga_82.jpg
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands1 Posts: 0Member
    I don't usually comment, but this is a truly glorious work of art.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    On fan made blueprints, the little turrets have tiny, thin tubes coming out of them. Now this is super-accurate to the film--but it might be nice to do the others as options, variants, etc.
    Thanks.

I'm working more on the nacelles now, mapping out the kit parts.

All of my pics on this thread turn out smaller than they are for some reason.

ss_ktinga_83.jpg
    You clearly have a larger set of the B and W pics than I do. Got them online?
    Here you go

http://sovereignreplicas.com/b_w_ktinga/

Some of the pics aren't the b w ones, but they show the basic shape. The K'tinga was originally made for TV, it was like the D7, smooth with no surface details, then when they decided to go with a motion picture it was covered in greebles, then for Star Trek 6, they covered it in more greebles.
    Thanks, oh thanks, oh thanks. And did I say thanks?! I've been working from these itty bitty b & w photos (which I will now delete) and could not see some things clearly enough. Still that hamburger on the top of the tall sensor dome. Now that I can see it clearly it is still non-descript (Ok that was done in a hurry). Gonna be interested to see what you do. Appears that you are saving it till the end.

I didn't expect it to be this fun doing a 3D version at the same time as a physical model.

Who's the guy with the 70's haircut and mustache? Must be some noted modeler.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9803 Posts: 5,327Member
    Thanks.

I'm working more on the nacelles now, mapping out the kit parts.

All of my pics on this thread turn out smaller than they are for some reason.
    The forum software resizes it. Well it shrinks them to display smaller they are the original size still though. Viewers can drag the image into a new tab etc to see the full size. Or right click view image.

Model is looking sweet as ever.

MKF
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Oh ok, I wasn't sure what was happening.

I finished more on the nacelle end caps.

ss_ktinga_84.jpg
    ss_ktinga_85.jpg
    More on the nacelles.

ss_ktinga_86.jpg
    96848.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great as ever, loving the fact you're doing it to scale and using the same kit bashed parts the original modellers did, the results are looking very authentic. Really can't wait to see the final result.

You said earlier you were producing this for a client, so if you don't mind me asking, how much does something like this go for? I'm guessing you must charge quite a pretty penny for something like this.
    Thanks. It's tedious sometimes to track down all the original parts, as best as possible anyway. As for price it depends on the project usually.

More on the nacelles.

ss_ktinga_87.jpg
    Yeah I want one too TALON_UK:)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great. I like that you have a ruler in the picture. It really shows how big those are. :D
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Brilliant work sir.
    Thank you.

Almost finished with the nacelles.

ss_ktinga_88.jpg
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Heh, which renderer are you using? Really nice Global Illumination in that shot...
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    Heh, which renderer are you using? Really nice Global Illumination in that shot...

Yeah, really. It looks REAL. ;) :p
    Thanks!

A small update.

ss_ktinga_88.jpg
    ss_ktinga_93.jpg
    ss_ktinga_94.jpg
    Looking awesome. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Damn that thing looks big, and friggin' awesome. Great work. And nice of that lass to hold it steady for ya. Even with that coke can in there for scale reference earlier in the thread, nothing shows the scale of this beast like having a person in shot with it. Now if I only had the room to get that in my office.

;)
    Hey REL777. I have been trying to trouble shoot problems I see in the shape of the main hull of my CGI model. So I have a question. Do you think the Motion Picture Ktinga is identical in overall proportions to the Undiscovered Country ship, or are there differences? I have become frustrated with the drawings that I have located on the web. One that is supposed to be an Undiscovered country drawing has engines that are clearly way too small relative to the rest of the ship.

At the moment I think I need to increase the wingspan of my ship and it partially comes to mind because your model appears to have a broader main hull as well. Also the photos of the Q'uonos model appear to me to show a broader wingspan. Thus, my question, because you are modeling the motion picture model. I would just value your thoughts. Thanks.

Oh, and yes... Friggen awesome!!!! I am also amazed at your pace. I just have to draw shapes, you're doing the real thing.
    Hey REL777. I have been trying to trouble shoot problems I see in the shape of the main hull of my CGI model. So I have a question. Do you think the Motion Picture Ktinga is identical in overall proportions to the Undiscovered Country ship, or are there differences? I have become frustrated with the drawings that I have located on the web. One that is supposed to be an Undiscovered country drawing has engines that are clearly way too small relative to the rest of the ship.

At the moment I think I need to increase the wingspan of my ship and it partially comes to mind because your model appears to have a broader main hull as well. Also the photos of the Q'uonos model appear to me to show a broader wingspan. Thus, my question, because you are modeling the motion picture model. I would just value your thoughts. Thanks.

Oh, and yes... Friggen awesome!!!! I am also amazed at your pace. I just have to draw shapes, you're doing the real thing.

They're actually both the same ship, the ST VI version just had added details. The ship was originally made for a second TV show, it had no surface detailing, just added aztec patterns.

Clip04[1].jpg

Then when the proposed TV show was cancelled and they decided to make a movie, they added detail and changed the nacelles. Notice there's not much detailing on the bridge.

Clip02[1].jpg

Then they added more details, mainly on the bridge.

ss_ktinga_ref1.jpg

Then for STVI they really went all out on the detailing.

So it's always been the same ship for everything it's been in, they've just redetailed it over and over rather than make a new one.
    Also, there's really no good drawings out there of the ship that I could find, every drawing out there has mistakes or they're not even close. Most of them were made from photos and there's a lot of forced perspective that will mess you up. The one advantage of building a physical model is I can draw the dimensions from the known sizes of the kit parts that are on it, I had to change my own drawings several times because the kit parts didn't fit correctly, I had to make some things smaller, some larger. I plan on cleaning up and posting my blueprints when I get her all finished.
    They're actually both the same ship, the ST VI version just had added details.
    Second best news I've heard all day.
    I plan on cleaning up and posting my blueprints when I get her all finished.
    Best news I've heard all day. :lol: Finally, some definitive plans. :thumb:

However, I have to admit, the more I looked at the two of them, the more suspicious I became that they were the same model.
    Also, there's really no good drawings out there of the ship that I could find, every drawing out there has mistakes or they're not even close.

Boy you got that right! (among many other things)
    Is this a picture of the actual movie model?
    97212.jpg
    Is this a picture of the actual movie model?

Yes it is. That's the ST I version.