Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalStudio Scale K'tinga

REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hello,

One of the things I'm working on at the moment. This is the same size of the studio model at nearly 4 feet.

Thanks for looking

Start of the bridge module.
ss_ktinga_23a.jpg

ss_ktinga_22.jpg

ss_ktinga_24.jpg

The beginning work on the body, this will be vac formed so the sidewall proportions are slightly thicker for that purpose.

ss_ktinga032.jpg

ss_ktinga033.jpg
101999.jpg
Post edited by REL777 on
Tagged:

• TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    That's some sexy stuff! What process do you do to create those finer details?
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Most of the small details are done with strips of styrene plastic. The rest are parts from existing plastic model kits. The goal is to find the original parts used on the filming miniature.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9791 Posts: 5,322Member
    HAH have fun with those nacelles! Just saw TMP in HD recently and wow forgotten how much "stuff" was on those parts of the ship. Sometimes I think what it would be like to see the movie on the old big screens of the 80s Like those huge ones in the century theaters in San Jose, that shot with the nacelle front and center would be nearly 200ft wide.

When you mention the sidewalls is that for trimming purposes etc? Or for structure?
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, great stuff. I'm loving the details on the "head," it looks really accurate. I was gonna ask how you got the details, but you already answered that. :D The body looks great so far too.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Great work here, was about to ask where you'd found a 4 foot kit of this before I realised you were scratch building it, great job so far on that bridge section, beautiful detailing. I'm guessing that is the AMT model you're using as a guide there in that 4th and 5th shot? Really impressive, will be watching your progress on this. Fantastic start.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    wow,wowe! like your stuff, rel and look forward to another masterpiece......
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    awesome, I love how detailed this model was

just out of interest.... what's that darker gray piece on the left in the first few pictures? I actually put this piece in a greeble pit on my ent-e, maybe I was using the k'tinga for inspiration
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Incredible work.

Will you be adding lights?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1662 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    This is such a beautiful ship. Superb start. Fabulous work. Powered by Classic Coke.
    IRML - I think I recognize the darker piece as part of one of the engines. It's at the back of the image below.

Engine.png
    95235.png
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Please don't do the brass-etched parts they did for the TUC version :p
    Why, what was up with those?
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Ugly blingy crap, in my opinion.
    I was just happy to see the battlecruiser back after three consecutive films with bird of prey's in.

Even though they still managed to include one, and the next film.
    IRML wrote: »
    awesome, I love how detailed this model was

just out of interest.... what's that darker gray piece on the left in the first few pictures? I actually put this piece in a greeble pit on my ent-e, maybe I was using the k'tinga for inspiration

Thanks.

That part is from the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Leopold Railgun
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    HAH have fun with those nacelles! Just saw TMP in HD recently and wow forgotten how much "stuff" was on those parts of the ship.

That was actually larger stand alone nacelle model they built for that scene, I think it was like 5 feet long.
    When you mention the sidewalls is that for trimming purposes etc? Or for structure?

For trimming purposes, so I have extra room for mistakes.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    IRML - I think I recognize the darker piece as part of one of the engines. It's at the back of the image below.

Engine.png

That model (image posted) is missing some details that I failed to enter. Go with original model black n whites for the details

I agree

Well, it was the Chancellor's ship. I'd imagine it was supposed to be a little "nicer" than the average K't'inga.
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    FWIW, I much preferred the TUC version to the TMP one, especially the coloring of it. At any rate, can't wait to see this one completed. Any special plans for it? How dod you even display something that big? LOL
  • SteveNeillSteveNeill0 Posts: 0Member
    Richard you knock me out, Looks lie the TMP version? I worked on the film but never got to see the miniatures.

Excellence always.

Steve
    SteveNeill wrote: »
    Richard you knock me out, Looks lie the TMP version? I worked on the film but never got to see the miniatures.

Excellence always.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

It's the TMP version yes.

I cut the main body into 4 parts so they could fit my vac former. I formed them in 1/8" plastic, then joined them all together. Now I have a plastic shell for detailing.

I did the same with the bridge earlier.

ss_ktinga021.jpg
    ss_ktinga_34.jpg
    ss_ktinga_35.jpg
    ss_ktinga_036.jpg
    ss_ktinga_037.jpg

And the ball.

ss_ktinga006.jpg
    Looking awesome. It makes sense that you had to do the hull in sections, given the scale of this beauty. BTW, I love how you put aluminum cans into the pics. That really helps me get a sense of the scale, as I'm sure was your intention. :D
    Looks like a cracking start, really looking forward to seeing this take shape.
    I love this Klingon ship. So glad you are doing it. Your workmanship is fantastic.
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    I think someone deserves an award for 'fiddliest project undertaken on the forum'. This is awesome stuff.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Amazing work as always. Seeing the ship's head without paint and in a crisp photo gives me an appreciation for the detail you are copying. Always enjoy your builds.
    I'm doing more work on the body.

The side vents.

ss_ktinga035.jpg

After trimmed up and installed.

ss_ktinga036.jpg

Lots of scribing.

ss_ktinga037.jpg
    ss_ktinga038.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I guess you like pepsi? :D
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Actually I don't drink any kind of soda anymore, they're merely a universal prop to show scale.
    Nice work. What are you using to scribe in all that belly detail?