Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Excelsior

tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2017 in Work in Progress #1
With the Space Office Complex / Regula One done, I thought about my next project. Working my way through the movies, the next ship would be the Excelsior. Although not the "nicest" design on purpose, she has a certain charme on her own.

So here we go - about a days work so far...
93044.jpg
93045.jpg
Post edited by tobiasrichter on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Oh my!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Yay the shark ship! I still don't like what they did with the refit, but whatevs.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Bartzie1Bartzie1331 Posts: 0Member
    I love your work. On your web site you gave us fantastic orthos of the Constitution Class and Enterprise remake. Then through this site you gave us a great ortho of the Enterprise D. Any chance of seeing othos of your beautiful Stargazer, Reliant and Ambassador? You are by far the best in the business. I enjoyed your spread on the Drex Files as well. We'd love more ORTHOS! Thanks again. Steve
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I fear one day soon you'll start an Ent-E and finish it before me

that'll put me to shame!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    Awesome stuff as always, Tobias. It may not be the prettiest, but it's one of my favorites. I grew up watching TNG, so I have a great appreciation for the often used (as random ships) Excelsior model. Though, technically, the one you're doing isn't the one from Star Trek III, it's the one from Star Trek VI. The ship had a different bridge and different impulse engine housing details in Star Trek III. ;)
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Seeing your skill and work always makes my mouth water, haha. :D

I personally love the Excelsior Class... I share Sulu's admiration for her.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Amazing work Tobias. All the more so when you tell us it was done in only a day.

Looking forwards to seeing more.

Al
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Word! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Looks like a great start so far.

But please take a look at the following image of the original (mutilated) model: http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/871/p411entb.jpg
    a) Those superstructures containing the impulse engines and the B deck aren't completely flat on top.
    b) The horizontal cross section of the neck isn't completely flat (like the letter D), but is slightly curved outward in its back.

It's better to be aware of those things during the early stages of a model.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    What lenny said. Good start though!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for spotting that, Lennier - I didnA’t notive that slight curvature. It is corrected now, and the impulse engine section pretty much finished.

The ship will probably be a slight mixture between the ST III and VI ships, as there are not much good reference shots and I have to go with what I have.

IRML - no worries, I donA’t have any plans in the near future to start the E. It is more likely the Enterprise B and then the Grissom will be the next - but that is a bit premature...
    93058.jpg
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Glad to be of service.

Are you planning to do a USS Hood map pack as well, to accompany your Galaxy?
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Amazing work Tobias. All the more so when you tell us it was done in only a day.

Looking forwards to seeing more.

Al

Isnt this how ALL your threads seem to start Tobias??? :lol:

you unveil this grand new plan, along with a sample pic and an impressive wip render, then proceed to say something like "well today i decided...."

as always its a beautiful start!
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Are you planning on doing any alien vessels?
    The impulse bits look great. :D
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent work Tobias. I didnt know the top of the impulse rear housing wasnt flat. Learn something everyday.
    Yeah, it's one of those things where you have to STARE at pictures of the part to really notice it. ;)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Awesome start! The Excelsior has always been my favorite film-era ship, followed by the Oberth/Grissom. Are you going to be doing this one up as the NX-2000 version or the NCC-2000 version?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    nice work, this ship (and the B) had the best sense of scale for me, I guess it was the little porthole windows and the panels
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Awesome sauce! I've always thought the Excelsior was a cool looking ship...
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, looking forward to seeing it finished.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, the NCC variant for the most part. Thanks for the links - I tend to stay away from anything fanmade, but especially st-bilder is always very helpful.

Ebolii - not at the moment. These are just done for fun - and I have most fun doing Federation starships. But who knows...
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Always impressive Tobias.

M
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow ... very nice
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    Great details Tobias. Never seen a so detailled Excelsior but, what to expect from you if not this? :)
    Any plans for later to build one (or more) of those Studio models: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Excelsior_class_model ? Something like you did with the PobertA’s Ambassador class? :)
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member

Ebolii - not at the moment. These are just done for fun - and I have most fun doing Federation starships. But who knows...

OK. But if you get the inclination.......the Klingon Movie birds would look great with your models.....just saying
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    EBOLII wrote: »
    OK. But if you get the inclination.......the Klingon Movie birds would look great with your models.....just saying

I'd love to see a BoP given your treatment too! its one of my top 3 fav ships :)
  • calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 370Member
    Mate, that just simply bloody rocks. Plain and simple awesomeness.
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Great, my favorite ship!! Can't wait for this to turn out. Now I'll have to dust off my Enterprise-B cuz it'll look like carp next to this!