Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Excelsior

• japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Ive been looking for those.forever!
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    The Vorlon wrote: »

on a backup disk somewhere i have this cad file, or at least used to!!! ive been searching for it all morning and have no idea where i stashed it!
    sad day.
    I noticed these on this guy's site too, they are probably just as good as the original blueprints,
    http://trebuchestarships.blogspot.com/2011/05/enterprise-b-5-view-plus-parts.html
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    hmm didn't notice the curves before... and i STARE at the excelsior alot since she's near my favorite ship of all!

been on my mind AWHILE to do the excellsior again ( my first try 5 years ago was Less than stellar... to put it mildly) but my texture skills aren't up to par yet with that complicated mess.. and untill i'm there.. i'll hold off.. but not much longer!!

Looks excellent as always sir! look for ward to your grissom as well since I'd like to see the differences between urs and mine :)

.. most of the referecnes are of the Ent B.. but there pretty spot on when your modleing the VI version, minus the addons ofcourse, and the paint scheme.. the B has a Teal, while the Excellsior has a blue.. look for the christies photos.. lots of goodness there :)

as always good luck, and have fun! an oh.. would be AWESOME to see a K'Tinga from ya!
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    anystar wrote: »
    on a backup disk somewhere i have this cad file, or at least used to!!! ive been searching for it all morning and have no idea where i stashed it!
    sad day.

Those would be John's cad files.....as in John Eaves.
    i thought it was one of Gary's drawings? at least thats what i was told when it was passed down to me?

(sorry to of derailed the thread)
    Could be. Doesn't matter, back to the topic at hand...
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Very slow progress this week - and probably in the coming weeks.

It seems window and rcs locations vary slightly between the practical models - so I chose a version that I hope will be close to all.

Top saucer modelling is done, now onto the lower part...
    93177.jpg
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    Will this find it's way into the TNG blu rays as well? Hmmmmm? (Yes, we're suspicious now.)

Very nice.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    ;)

Til this point, itA’s just for fun, but who knows...
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    ;)

Til this point, itA’s just for fun, but who knows...

Right... we totally won't see this replacing some shots of the Excelsior on TNG.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    Crisp and clean as always Tobias. You're going to run out of ships to make at this rate :)
    Beautiful renders. You've inspired me to revisit some nagging issues on my Ent-B... I'm always amazed at how beautiful just your gray clay renders look Tobias!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    That's very slow progress? :o
  • count23count23366 Posts: 784Member
    Is this model ending up in TNG remastered too? lol
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Ever since I heard that the design brief for Excelsior was something along the lines of "Make me something that looks like what Enterprise would have looked like, if the Japanese had designed her," I've loved this ship. I'd love to serve on board one of these.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    I was a big of the Excelsior design from the first time you see her on screen. It's hard to even articulate why. It just nailed what they were after - a ship that looked more modern than the Enterprise, a design that stood on its own and had its own presence but one that never took the limelight off the old Enterprise. :)

I can't believe I have missed this thread until now. Looking spectacular so far, Tobias. Love that you've modelled the impulse engine grills (?) there. Fantastic work.

I have to ask - are you now modelling every Fed ship that turns up in TNG on the off chance that they want to re-render anything in the future? "Actually...I've already got a model for that - why don't you just use mine?"

:D
    :D that sounds like a good idea....
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    At least the Excelsior and the Miranda would make sense, along with a Nebula and an Oberth.
    That covers the majority of Starfleet ships used in TNG.
    I'd love to see a Tobias version of the Oberth class...maybe finally it'll look nice ;)
    Saucer underside - central part missing...

Speaking of the Oberth - does anyone have some good reference shots and is willing to share?
    looking great as always!

here's the entire extent of my Oberth collection, i think all but the last 2 came from Drexler's blog.
    th_g-1.jpgth_g-2.jpgth_g-3.jpgth_g-4.jpg
    th_g-5.jpgth_gris.jpgth_oberth_model.jpgth_oberth-christies.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    It will be interesting to see your take on Excelsior's Secondary Hull. No One I know has been able to get the effect correct from the front like in the picture you have. (well there was one person and it was a picture of the NX Excelsior in Dry Dock over Earth)

ussgrissomaft.th.jpg
    startrekussgrissomncc63.th.jpg
    sheeta284501899c97cd0d9.th.jpg
    sheeta5e9915a9ecb764d21.th.jpg
    oberthcards.th.jpg
    grissomstumodel.th.jpg
    grissomu.th.jpg
    15238057.th.jpg
    60297460.th.jpg
    19556231.th.jpg
    10864402.th.jpg
    27473937.th.jpg
    grisc.th.jpg
    griss1.th.jpg
    Saquist wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see your take on Excelsior's Secondary Hull. No One I know has been able to get the effect correct from the front like in the picture you have. (well there was one person and it was a picture of the NX Excelsior in Dry Dock over Earth)

That'd be Rob Wilde's image of the Excelsior. This thread is half motivating me to update that model a bit. Sorta.
    mattc wrote: »
    That'd be Rob Wilde's image of the Excelsior. This thread is half motivating me to update that model a bit. Sorta.

What image and what effect are you referring to out of curiosity?
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Tobias, you are a very enterprising young man! :D

Great work as always.

Al
    japetus wrote: »

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/raumschiffe/foederation/excelsior/excelsior-75549.html

That one. It was a header image here for a while and, as usual, it's ended up over there. The model is missing a few details on the lower saucer which I should add). There's a bit of inaccuracy with the impulse deck not being slanted either.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/ExcelsiorReference

all the stuff I have on the execellsior and the Oberth... and ah... I've built the Oberth already, renders are in the picasa gallery if interested :)

looking good sir :) carefull of that seam line in the middle from mirror duplicating the saucer :)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    japetus wrote: »

Many Peoples's Excelsior seems to be very circular with the Secondary Hull's bottom as well being a bit too pointed near the front. That's reminiscent of the CGI Excelsior that had a sleeker and faster look that was in DS9 when they had to rebuild the model because of the damage the modifications caused to the Enterprise B Model:

http://images.wikia.com/stexpanded/images/7/7c/USSExcelsiorVOY.jpg

But it seems to have a wide...U shaped bottom and not quite pointed.
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/0/05/USS_Excelsior.jpg
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/e/e9/USS_Excelsior_firing_torpedoes.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/f/268/excelsior25935440.jpg/

You can tell by the deflector if you got front and width/radius of the Secondary Hull right. The result is a wide triangle not a thin Triangle. It's subtle.