Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Excelsior

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    Yeah, that shot looks like the one from TNG, Encounter at Farpiont. It's definitely before TUC. ;) I think you're right, it's gotta be the paint. They probably repainted the ship when they modified it for TUC.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    Reason I think it was some sort of UV paint or reflective medium is its disappearance when the ship leaves the space dock in st3. Also in close up shots of both early photos and in the even ent b version some gunk is visible in the nooks of those ribs. Either case it is a feature I had missed in the past. Maybe if someone knows someone who worked on the model could answer this?
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Back to the big lady... I did the decals first and then started with the textures. So far one out of seven 4K maps have been done. Aztec patterns really do take time... :argh:
    94671.jpg
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, that's just ruddy gorgeous. And yeah, I'm genuinely afraid to start aztec-patterning my own models in case I lose several years of my life.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great textures! I always like your light setup too.
    Yeah, the Excelsior has probably one of the most aggravating Aztecs because of all of the tiny sub-panels they pained on. I don't envy you one bit. Having said that, it looks friggin' fantastic. I've been staring at pics of the studio model for years and I've seen other CG models and your textures come closer than any others I've seen to replicating the hull material on the studio model.

Texture question: is 4k the largest you ever go for textures, or do you occasionally have to do larger maps?
  • seanrseanr1260 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 627Member
    Just curious - you using Illustrator to create the aztec pattern? That's what I used when I did mine. Got the primary hull looking great but never got around to finishing the whole ship. This one is quite a beast to build. You probably already know this, but I'll warn you anyway: the hull grid on the top does not align with the grid on the bottom, and most of the fan-made blueprints out there are complete ****. ;-)
  • seanrseanr1260 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 627Member
    BTW, if you want to see my Illustrator files, I can get them posted on Dropbox or somewhere. Maybe they'll come in handy.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    It's good he uses the NCC and not the NX-2000
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    seanr wrote: »
    BTW, if you want to see my Illustrator files, I can get them posted on Dropbox or somewhere. Maybe they'll come in handy.

I would love to cast an eye at your files, too... if you don't mind...
  • gmd3dgmd3d251 DublinPosts: 132Member
    fantastic work, no its Inspirational.
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    Thanks for the offer, Sean. I very rarely use Illustrator - and I already have the aztec for the bottom saucer. YouA’re right - it is different from the top aztec. I hope I got it somewhat right, it was a bit harder to spot due to the limited amount of reference.

evil - I sometimes use larger textures, but Maya does not handle them that well during preview, so I tend to stay with 4K maps.
    94695.jpg94696.jpg94697.jpg
    evil - I sometimes use larger textures, but Maya does not handle them that well during preview, so I tend to stay with 4K maps.

Thanks for that, I was curious. I know you do a lot of commission work and your models always look fantastic, whether you're doing desktops, art print size or HD video, so I thought I'd pick your brain on that a bit. ;) I know some people say, for professional work, you've gotta do HUGE maps. However, if 4k is really all that is needed, why go bigger? :)

The textures on the saucer look fantastic. :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looks excellent sir! and yes.. the excelsior is the Worst to texture.. so hard and complicated!!
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Great to see your take on the Excelsior! Finally a ship I am familiar with! Is it just me or are the blue panels supposed to be more teal? Maybe that was just on the Ent-B...
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Just teal on the Type 2 (Ent-B), yeah. The standard Excelsiors use a colder, slightly greyish blue.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    You know it's good work when you're half considering making someone else's WiP image your wallpaper. Specifically, the second of the most recent batch. I suppose the ERTL kit's influenced my mental image of what the Excelsior looks like, so I always thought the top surface of the impulse drives were completely flat, rather than having that nice bow to them. Nice to have an opportunity to have a closer look at these details.
    @evil - the saucer contains of 3x3x4k maps (3 maps, each color, spec, bump) - and itA’s layed out in my usual way, so not just projected from the top, but the sections are layed out straight. I do not have any loss due to antialiased lines like I would have if it was just projected from the top. That makes up for a lot of resolution. And still the resolution is high enough so you can have a HD screen filled with about half of the saucer and have a texture ratio of about 1:1 pixel. Should I need to get much closer I would probably have to build a more detailed ship or section anyways. From my past experience, this level of texturing works for 99% of all cases.
    Cool. Thanks a lot for explaining that. It's great information to have. :D
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the offer, Sean. I very rarely use Illustrator - and I already have the aztec for the bottom saucer. YouA’re right - it is different from the top aztec. I hope I got it somewhat right, it was a bit harder to spot due to the limited amount of reference.

Mr. Richter,
    Just what level of machine do I need to this kind of work?
    The textures are pretty much done - maybe a tweak here and there - have to make a few more test pictures, but it shouldnA’t be a lot of work. I think I might not put interior in here, as the windows are considerable smaller then the other vessels and you wonA’t notice anything. Maybe just a few cardboards...

Saquist - I work on a standard I7 with 16Gig Ram.
    94809.jpg94810.jpg94811.jpg94812.jpg
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent! On the top front view the windows look like they could do with just a hint of detail, just so it's not a solid blue glow. But other than that she looks fantastic. Captain Sulu would definitely be saying "helllooo".
    I'm sorry, but I think I found a little mistake.

The Excelsior ist not NCC - 2000 ... she is NX - 2000

The textures are excellent!

_Chris
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    ChrisGFX wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I think I found a little mistake.

The Excelsior ist not NCC - 2000 ... she is NX - 2000

The textures are excellent!

_Chris
    The prototype is the NX-2000. After she underwent a refit, entered active service (Tobias built the version from ST6) and became the first of her class, her official designation became NCC-2000
    lennier1 wrote: »
    The prototype is the NX-2000. After she underwent a refit, entered active service (Tobias built the version from ST6) and became the first of her class, her official designation became NCC-2000

ahh, okay ... didn't know that ... :)
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Great work
  • gmd3dgmd3d251 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Stunning model......
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Saquist - I work on a standard I7 with 16Gig Ram.

That explains it. lol.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96393&d=1334401353

Also, how do you get the spotlights, like on the underside of the saucer, to create a specular hit the same width as the modeled light source? If you get what I mean...

The model looks stunning as always.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Looks Excelent sir! top notch as alwasy!

for a cheat.. could just make a texture, maybe just some random blues, or a small person maybe and put it on a 1 poly square behind the windows.. just for a look of something behind the window..
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Superb work Tobias!
    I've grown so used to see the smaller Excelsior studio model, and CGI representations of that model, that when seeing the original, it looks somehow odd, as if some proportions are off, but then I realized it looks much better this way. As always Tobias, your work is amazing not only in the modeling and texturing, but also on the researching of material to work with.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio