Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Nakamura (Ambassador Class)

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the platforms and why does the tactical officer need a seat? ;)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    I like the platforms and why does the tactical officer need a seat? ;)

Short answer..varicose veins.
    It's the 24th century, they have a cure for nearly everything. I'm sure there's one for that, maybe even a way to prevent it. :p

(I stand while I'm at work, so I have no sympathy)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Ya got me there. :)
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Because standing in the same spot for eight hours at a time hurts like hell, that's why. They have a cure for it, but a seat prevents it.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    ... being a former Marine... I HATE STANDING! Yay for seats!! :p

pic looks nice sir! keep it up!
    Doomsponge wrote: »
    Because standing in the same spot for eight hours at a time hurts like hell, that's why. They have a cure for it, but a seat prevents it.

I do it all the time. And I have bad knees and a bad back from jumping out of military cargo planes at 800 ft. above the ground. So, again, I have no sympathy.
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Hahaha! This seems to be a somewhat volatile issue :P

Personally, I'm not opposed to standing, but it seemed like it would work here. I dunno... We'll see how it looks when it's done, I suppose :)

And thanks, guys! I'll start building the viewscreen into the rest of the structure soon enough. I did play around with a couple of other models while going back and forth on this, so I'll post that stuff soon as well.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Just want to say I'm a HUGE fan of that bridge. I like how it calls to mind the Galaxy class bridge without being quite so extravagant. I MISS the aesthetic of the Galaxy class bridge, ever since Starship bridges all switched over to battleship aesthetics.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    If the modelling turns out anything like that sketch then it'll look fantastic. That's really nicely done.

As for chairs, well I can't see any advantage to people standing all day. Standing up means they'll have a higher center of gravity, so when the ship inevitably shakes like an earthquake simulator, they'll fall over. And you don't want the guy in charge of defending the ship to be picking himself up from the floor when he's meant to be raising shields. :)
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    On the one hand, I agree it's silly to make a person stand at a station for 8 hours. However, I think it makes sense to have the tactical officer, or at least SOMEONE on their feet and ready at all times to defend the bridge. After all, in that day and age you have to be ready for an adversary to materialize on your bridge out of thin air. You should be ready not only to pull a phaser, but to change your position quickly. I never thought about it before, but I'm certain that was the reason Worf (and Tasha) never had a seat.
    ryo80 wrote: »
    Hahaha! This seems to be a somewhat volatile issue :P

Personally, I'm not opposed to standing, but it seemed like it would work here. I dunno... We'll see how it looks when it's done, I suppose :)

Of course, the only opinion here that really matters is yours. Standing, not standing, I'm sure it will look good either way.
    Agreed. Though it is good to get another pair of eyes on it, sometimes. :)

Another small update. Got the wall in place now, and I'm trying Sean's approach to ops/conn consoles. Setting them directly in front of the captain's chair did seem to waste space, once I pushed the viewscreen wall back. The tool that I'm using obliterates the UV mapping every time I do a chamfer or whatnot, so I figure I'll just go back to clay and procedurals until I'm completely done modeling.
    95188.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, looks clean and practical, and there's even something for the poor standing crew members to grab a hold of when things get a bit rocky, how thoughtful.

;)
    champher kills the uv?? interesting... a bug for the program??

Looks Excellent sir! good work!
    Yeah, that does look good. :)
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Have to say I'll miss the platforms, but at least the captain still has one, and I really like the conn and ops separated a little more. Those alcoves looks really great now too. :D
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like that indent that sweeps all the way from one alcove, across the viewscreen and to the other side. The whole bridge is taking on a familiar feel, but with enough of a twist that it's distinctly recognisable in its own right. The only thing that's jarring at the moment is at the bottom of the alcoves where there's a big gap between the boxy door surrounds and the floor.
    Thank you, gentlemen! My apologies for neglecting this thread a bit.

In keeping up with what we know about the design history, I figure starfleet would have been going through pretty major simplifications of bridge design to get to what we know of in TNG. Plus, it's waaaay easier on my polycount when it's all put together! I appreciate the comments you guys have offered to help me get to a feasible design. :)

As for the boxy bits around the doors, I was working off of the offset that was used on the TNG set, but yeah I do see where it should be less pronounced. I'll be able to take care of that fairly soon, before I do anything else with the interface stations.

So there's good news and bad news... The bad news is, the backup I was working from was corrupted, and I had to rebuild much of the exterior mesh, rather than continue using the flaws I found on earlier versions of the stardrive. The good news is, I was able to rebuild the whole thing fairly quickly, and with less than half the polys of the last version! The grid patterns are cut better and I built a more accurate bridge module after I inspected the one on the studio model further. All-in-all, it's pretty close to being complete at this point. After the last few windows and docking ports are cut in, along with the transporter booster pads, nacelle RCS quads, etc., I'll give her new texture maps and then finish the visible interior areas up.
    96685.jpg96687.jpg96689.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking nice, very clean looking mesh. Also looking back (way back, a fair few pages ago) at your original version this is a vast improvement, especially with the hull plating lines on the secondary hull, nice job.

:thumb:
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1668 CaliforniaPosts: 1,942Member
    Absolutely gorgeous work! A treat.
    I'm sorry to hear about the corrupt backup. :( However, it looks like you definitely didn't let it get to you too much and the new mesh looks great. :D
    ITS ALLIIIVVEEE!! :)

sorry to hear about the backup.. I usually save like a mad man on most of my ships.. I usually work on my work computer ( after hours) and save o a thumb drive when I go home..

Ship looks excellent sir!
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Perhaps Paramount will by this model from you to recreate Yesterday's Enterprise in HD
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Perhaps Paramount will by this model from you to recreate Yesterday's Enterprise in HD

Unlikely - on the blu ray releases they're only replacing effects as a last resort when no useable elements are available.
    Unlikely - on the blu ray releases they're only replacing effects as a last resort when no useable elements are available.

Yeah, I guess the lack of screen time the Ambassador got (and the wide-angle and distance shots) on the show doesn't help my chances much... :/

I'd definitely love to offer it up for something like that if needed, though! And I'm glad you guys think it looks good enough to play the part. :D

As for the rebuild, I kinda wanted to do that anyway with the errors I (and a few of you guys) spotted, so no worries. :) I hadn't opened the file in a couple of months, so there was definitely a lack of upkeep. I do have better infrastructure to mitigate against setbacks like this, though. Back from out of town this week, so I can get back to finishing her up!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1117 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,570Member
    Excellent job on this... I love the look of the bridge so far.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    ryo80 wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess the lack of screen time the Ambassador got (and the wide-angle and distance shots) on the show doesn't help my chances much... :/

I'd definitely love to offer it up for something like that if needed, though! And I'm glad you guys think it looks good enough to play the part. :D

As for the rebuild, I kinda wanted to do that anyway with the errors I (and a few of you guys) spotted, so no worries. :) I hadn't opened the file in a couple of months, so there was definitely a lack of upkeep. I do have better infrastructure to mitigate against setbacks like this, though. Back from out of town this week, so I can get back to finishing her up!

Don't worry. When DS9 needs a HD they'll be looking you up.
    Don't worry. When DS9 needs a HD they'll be looking you up.

Oh yeah! I think Mr. Okuda mentioned on twitter that they would try doing DS9 if TNG sales were good enough. Let's hope they notice when it's time
    Maybe they can get rid of the Glowing Nacelles for the Excelsior and Miranda's when they redo it!!!!!

As I love this version ( done my own, and yours is Excellent!) Honestly I would LOVE to see Tobias's Probert version in Yesterdays Enterprise... :)