Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Nakamura (Ambassador Class)

ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hey everybody. Been lurking around here for a few months, but haven't posted anything. I've been working on a few Trek starships and shuttles, but didn't think I had anything presentable until recently. I started working on this Ambassador class back in May, but only recently returned to it. Hopefully, I'll get to finish it.

Render_015.jpg
Render_016.jpg
Render_017.jpg
102789.jpg
Post edited by ryo80 on
Tagged:

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Not sure what you mean by presentable after all this is the WIP section :lol:

What you have posted is some mighty fine work! Great first post man :thumb:
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    welcome.. i wish the first posts on my threads were this good :) cant wait to see more..
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    not bad sir!! I forgot how many darn windows this thing has!! :)
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Dude, you're doing this all wrong. Your first posts are supposed to suck. That saucer is clean and very well executed. Now how are you going to stun us with your vast improvement? You blew it, man. You blew it.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Dude, you're doing this all wrong. Your first posts are supposed to suck. That saucer is clean and very well executed. Now how are you going to stun us with your vast improvement? You blew it, man. You blew it.

Maybe he's working it backwards?

Seriously good work for a starting post, though. :thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work, that looks great so far. :D
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome abord!
    The saucer is looking excellent! Smoothed and to much detailled. Keep posting sir, you got my attemption. ;)
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Juvat wrote: »
    Maybe he's working it backwards?

Seriously good work for a starting post, though. :thumb:

Aww, shoot! Yeah, I do tend to work backwards I probably should've posted some of the horrible shader tests I tried last month, first. :P

Thanks everybody! I appreciate everyone's feedback. :) I wanted to post this (and my other projects) on here a long time ago, but you guys are really good here, and I wanted to be able to keep up. I'm glad you guys like the saucer section so far. I already have the main stardrive parts fleshed out, but I wanted to finish the under side of the saucer (and bridge, etc.) before I got too far on the other stuff.
    not bad sir!! I forgot how many darn windows this thing has!! :)
    Oh yeah! I wanted to cut my eyes out before I finished all those. I'm learning a lot of what I know on this model, and I failed miserably at first; but I studied your window work on the Enterprise C. That really helped out a lot :)
    Ok, I got the lower part of the saucer worked in, and I fleshed out the stardrive, though I still have to add the impulse engines and the maintenance/airlock deck on the nacelles.

I'm originally a 2D painter, so I'm still learning a lot of this as I go. I saw Melak's window cutting tutorial and I think I might try to that as opposed trying to clean up booleans. That should save me a great deal of time over what I'm doing now. >.<
    91436.jpg91437.jpg
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Well for breaking into 3d from 2d you are doing a fantastic job!
    looking good! don't follow my window count on the eng hull.. i went with a plan that put WAY to many windows in.. go with a better blueprint and actual shots of the model :)
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi! Nice modeling! That's looking good.

Cutting the windows is a bit slow, but far better than booleans, I think you pick the right choice.
  • backsteptbackstept2075 Posts: 927Member
    off to an excellent start! :thumb:
    Thanks everybody! I appreciate the feedback :)

@Fluxfire - That's awesome, but you guys deserve some of the credit. The vast majority of what I'm comes from watching you guys build things. ^^

@VALKYRIE013 - Thanks! :) I actually like the composition of your C model, but I see what you mean. I have a few photo references and schematics to go on, and I hope I can get to it sometime soon. Re-cutting the saucer windows is rough -_- and I'm still on the fence about cutting the 3 billion piece grid into the saucer. I went with a more simplified pattern like some of the schematics have but I know that's not accurate, based on the studio model.

Got a lot done one the nacelles; just need to add the navigation lights, bussard intakes, and such before I start texturing. I'm building the airlock as a separate model, so I can detail it properly and add it in before I start texturing.
    91494.jpg91496.jpg91497.jpg
    Nice work, it's looking great. BTW, is it named after Admiral Nakamura?
    hmm.. i just textured the billion line grid on the saucer myself! and the cut grid was on the different blue lines.. :)

This is looking great, and its progressing quite quickly!! :)
  • charonjrcharonjr0 Posts: 0Member
    I really enjoy your work here. Are you planning on putting the inverted bevel in place on the outer saucer section?

BTW, what program do you use? I'm planning on doing a build in Lightwave, so that I can make sections for building a 1/1000 scale (20") physical model of the C.
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    charonjr wrote: »
    Are you planning on putting the inverted bevel in place on the outer saucer section

Well he shouldn't. The Ambassador class didn't feature that.
    @evil_genius_180 - You know, it never dawned on me that there was an Admiral Nakamura in TNG. I thought of using the name solely for an STO RP story I scribbled together, but I'll go with it! I'll have to use a higher registry though. (was originally going with something 26700-ish) Thanks for the idea! :)

@VALKYRIE013 - Haha it really IS a pain! I hope it's worth it once it's done. I really like what you did with the bussard collectors on your model, by the way :)

@charonjr/killakanz - I'm more or less just going on the studio model and a couple of decent schematics that I've found of it, so I'm going to stay pretty conservative with it for now. Once it's taken shape, I would like to add some details and whatnot to give this more of a defined "character" as opposed to the rushed, "ship of the week" feel the primary model kinda has. So we'll see where it goes

As for the program, I'm using a fairly cheap modeller called Hexagon from DAZ3D. I was originally using DAZ Studio to get an understanding of 3D, but I wanted to start building things on my own and picked it up.

Would be awesome to see a physical build of Ent-C. I look forward to it ^^

It took a few days to get enough free time, but I cut the proper grid pattern on the top of the saucer, finally. Probably going to work on the secondary hull some before I move to the rim, or start cutting windows out of this thing again. @_@
    91545.jpg91546.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Very nice updates. The nacelles look really clean. :thumb:
    I always liked Admiral Nakamura, they didn't have him on the show enough for my taste. IMDb claims he was in 3 episodes, but I think it was more than that.

Great work on the saucer grid lines. I never figured out why they went so line happy on the saucer top, but it does look cool when they're all modeled. :)
    saucer grid... more patience than I.... :)

alls looking great sir!! almost time for some wonderful textures!! :devil:
    killakanz wrote: »
    Well he shouldn't. The Ambassador class didn't feature that.

Actually, it is there. You have to look for it. It's mostly visible by how light reflects off of it. But the inverted bevel is there. This is why the lower nav lights are located so far in.

However, very few people catch it. Most blueprints don't show it. (2 do, that I know of.) And all kits made of the Ambassador class don't show it. It's on a level with the Bussard domes. Ryo80 has them properly shaped, while the kits are too squared off at the base, when they should be more oval.
    91547.jpg91548.jpg91549.jpg
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Good grief, you're right. I dunno how I missed that, I spent hours gazing at photos of the studio model while making mine and I never spotted that.

With the excellent models from Valkyrie013 and Ryo80 putting mine to shame, I might have to go back to mine and bring it up to scratch...
    The first time I noticed the inverted bevel was as the 1701C came out of the time rift. But: I was watching on my then new used projection set on a 10' diagonal screen. Quite a bit more obvious at that size. True, huge scan lines, but seeing the details not hidden anymore by a traditional TV's shadow mask, more than made up for it.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Nice looking model so far....

The model I did with Simon a few years back has the bevel....though maybe not quite as pronounced.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I doff my hat, sir, for that detail hath eluded mine eyes as well...

This model is just looking gorgeous. Keep those updates comming, cause I'm really digging it.
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    Ryo80: great work! a question, how did you do the life-pods? did you cut the shape and extrude or are they separate objects?
    Thanks! Just glad to help.
    mattc wrote: »
    Nice looking model so far....

The model I did with Simon a few years back has the bevel....though maybe not quite as pronounced.
    I would love to see your and Simon's model, MattC!