Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Nakamura (Ambassador Class)

• ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks everybody for your feedback and comments! My apologies for the lack of updates; really busy couple of weeks at work. X_x

@evil_genius_180 - Hah! Read some of the wiki info on him, and I think the period this ship was built in would've given Nakamura time to attain the rank of Admiral, so this just might work.

As for the grid pattern, judging by the lack of pattern lines on Rick Sternbach's sketches, the decision seems to have been made at the construction level. I'm guessing that they cut them to compensate for the lack of surface finishing/Aztec pattern.

@VALKYRIE013 - Yes, textures! I started on the saucer, and the nacelles are about done. Still a lot of work to do on them, but I think it's going in the right direction. Still on the fence about an Aztec pattern because of the grid, but I may try it at some point just for S&Gs. :P

@killakanz - You guys inspired me to start shipbuilding, so I'm glad I could return the favor! ^^

@kborak - They're all separate objects. I constructed one lifeboat hatch and cloned it over the ship. I thought it would be logical in case I have to make any adjustments to it. They all have the same badge number at the moment, but I'm working on randomizing them.

Larger update this time: Ventral saucer pattern is nearly complete. I decided to finish it before I really got back into the windows. I set the bussard collectors up like the Enterprise C rather than the other Ambassador ships, but I might try something different later on.
    91874.jpg91875.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks awesome. I especially like the bussards. :)
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    charonjr wrote: »
    I would love to see your and Simon's model, MattC!

It's on the front cover of the Ships of the Line book (and I think Alain did a nice image with it inside referring to Yesterday's Enterprise). I finished it round the time I started my current job...which is what...7 years ago now. Still looks good though, probably needs a good re-texturing. We started on a version 3.0, but you know real life got in the way and never really got back to it.

On another note, ryo's model is looking pretty good.
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Ach! Stop making it better than mine!

:p
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    That looks great!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Hey thanks! I thought I'd have trashed this thing by now, haha. I'm glad this thing is finally coming together though.
    killakanz wrote: »
    Ach! Stop making it better than mine!

:p

hahaha :P

I wouldn't say better necessarily, more that it's different, which is a good thing I think. We wouldn't want everyone building this class have it look the exact same way; that's no fun! :P

To this point, I've been pretty conservative to keep it as close as possible to the ref shots I've seen. Since there's not much interest in this class and the documentation is so obscure and inaccurate, I'm going to have to take a lot of artistic license when it comes to detailing and interior design. (conference rooms, shuttle bays, etc.)

Speaking of which, I'm working on the bridge interior, turbolifts, and the Captain's ready room in between window cutting. I'll post renders of that stuff once I get better ref photos work from.

Small update - two more rows of windows and I'll have the top half of the saucer done, then on to the bottom. -_- Phaser detail is more visible now, though I still have to add the smaller ones in the back.
    91987.jpg91988.jpg
    Looking great, dude. :thumb:
    ryo80 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say better necessarily, more that it's different, which is a good thing I think. We wouldn't want everyone building this class have it look the exact same way; that's no fun! :P

That's what I like about seeing more than one person doing the same model, seeing how people add their own distinct touches to the design. :)
    ryo80 wrote: »
    To this point, I've been pretty conservative to keep it as close as possible to the ref shots I've seen. Since there's not much interest in this class and the documentation is so obscure and inaccurate, I'm going to have to take a lot of artistic license when it comes to detailing and interior design. (conference rooms, shuttle bays, etc.)

Yeah, it's sad that we saw this ship as infrequently as we did. They never even did a CGI model of it for DS9. Now, we're supposed to believe that they were still using ships that were nearly 100 years old (Excelsior, Oberth and Miranda) but they weren't still using the more recent Ambassador class? That makes no sense to me. And, because it was hardly used, the references are few and far between.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Looking good sir!! loving it!

well as said.. to each there own.. I tried to keep it as close to the Enterprise C variant as much as I could ( window count not withstanding!!) with only a few things changed.. usually WTH items.. like the lip of of the main shuttle bay on the saucer.. no idea why its there.. so I ditched it!! .. items like that..
    I done a shuttle bay for the upper and lower parts as well.. though the file went corupt on me!!! grrr... so Looking forward to your interpretations of the interiors!!
    Looking great, dude. :thumb:

Yeah, it's sad that we saw this ship as infrequently as we did. They never even did a CGI model of it for DS9. Now, we're supposed to believe that they were still using ships that were nearly 100 years old (Excelsior, Oberth and Miranda) but they weren't still using the more recent Ambassador class? That makes no sense to me. And, because it was hardly used, the references are few and far between.

Yeah, I just don't buy that they would forgo newer technology for aging, outdated ships. I mean I get why they did it for production reasons, but sheesh!

On the bright side, it does make modeling this ship more fulfilling, as we're more free to embellish and be creative with it. :D
    Looking good sir!! loving it!

well as said.. to each there own.. I tried to keep it as close to the Enterprise C variant as much as I could ( window count not withstanding!!) with only a few things changed.. usually WTH items.. like the lip of of the main shuttle bay on the saucer.. no idea why its there.. so I ditched it!! .. items like that..
    I done a shuttle bay for the upper and lower parts as well.. though the file went corupt on me!!! grrr... so Looking forward to your interpretations of the interiors!!

Dang, man... I know that feeling. The current version of my model is salvaged from a corrupted file that went bad yesterday. Not only did I have to cut those windows out, I had to do it 3 times over at this point... -_-

I remember the Oppenheimer shuttlebays you did were awesome; I hope I can build something that's close to those.

I'm glad you guys approve though. :) I'll have a lot more done soon!
    They never even did a CGI model of it for DS9.

They did. It's crap and never really got finished. I think John or Pierre did one for the ship's of the line as well. Also crap. The one of the front cover of the ships of the line book is the LW port of Simon Coles one that I did way back in 2004. Periodically updated....one of these days, I re-texture the beast.
    mattc wrote: »
    They did. It's crap and never really got finished. I think John or Pierre did one for the ship's of the line as well. Also crap. The one of the front cover of the ships of the line book is the LW port of Simon Coles one that I did way back in 2004. Periodically updated....one of these days, I re-texture the beast.

Sorry, I meant a good CG model for DS9, like the one in this thread and other fan builds I've seen on the web. Though, seriously, I didn't even know they ever did one. I know most of the major battles were tons of Galaxies, Mirandas, Excelsiors and Akiras with a small peppering of other classes here and there and, of course, the Defiant.
    As far as I'm aware they never actually made a CGI model for the screen. Either that or they cancelled it before it was finished. The only time we see an Ambassador class in DS9 was in the pilot episode and that was very much the physical studio model (USS Yamaguchi).

As I pointed out in my thread though, there is a photo of the studio model clearly showing the nacelle pylons at very different heights, probably because after it's DS9 showing it was being modified for a cancelled appearance in Generations. This sparked the theory that the Ambassador class missed the Dominion war because they were all in for this curious refit, however I have my doubts that they would have all been done at the same time and the idea that they were all out of action for that long.
    On the other hand, there are plenty of "non canon" novel references of Ambassador classes seeing action in the dominion war.

Oh, also:
    Stop making it better than mine!
    I thought the physical model was the only one we saw on DS9, but there was so much going on in the battle scenes, so I thought maybe I'd missed it. Plus, it's been a few years since I watched those episodes. I've been rewatching the series the past few months, but I'm only up to early season 4.

I always thought it was a cool design, too bad we saw so little of it. It's on my "to build" list, but I don't know when I'll get to it. I know I have to step up to make sure it's as good as the ones here. :)
    As far as I'm aware they never actually made a CGI model for the screen. Either that or they cancelled it before it was finished. The only time we see an Ambassador class in DS9 was in the pilot episode and that was very much the physical studio model (USS Yamaguchi).

There was one, but no, you never saw it...since it was never finished. I yanked a few things off it when I was redoing Simon's.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I thought the physical model was the only one we saw on DS9, but there was so much going on in the battle scenes, so I thought maybe I'd missed it. Plus, it's been a few years since I watched those episodes. I've been rewatching the series the past few months, but I'm only up to early season 4.

I always thought it was a cool design, too bad we saw so little of it. It's on my "to build" list, but I don't know when I'll get to it. I know I have to step up to make sure it's as good as the ones here. :)

I've been recently watching the enteire series. I'm up to near the end of season 6 I haven't seen one.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    I've been recently watching the enteire series. I'm up to near the end of season 6 I haven't seen one.

...Pilot episode, opening scenes... Easy to miss it though, it's on the screen for only 3 seconds. That's all though, Ambassadors don't appear again... ever.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    ...Pilot episode, opening scenes... Easy to miss it though, it's on the screen for only 3 seconds. That's all though, Ambassadors don't appear again... ever.

Someone already said it so I didn't bother restating it.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Yeah, it's really sad. It's a great design and they commissioned a model and then it was only used in 6 episodes. (5, if you don't count a brief look at the saucer on Enterprise.)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    This mesh looks exceptional, for sure!
    That's for the comments, everybody. I'm learning more and more about the ship and studio production, watching the discussion. :)

All the windows are in on the saucer section, so I'm back where I should be at least. Still got a few more things to do to that area, but it's getting there. After the ventral phasers are detailed and some of the visible interior in place, I'll start finishing the stardrive.
    92160.jpg92161.jpg
    awww, I need to stop reading this thread :p
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Its okay Killakanz.. yours looks great as well!!

.. if you want Ryo, the phaser strips aren't smooth like the Ent D ( even then.. the Ent D isn't smooth either) its segmented.. and if you do it, its a good exercise on the use of deformers :) just model it straight, then use a bend deformer to curve it. it works since its not the whole saucer length.. :)

the 2 billion lines and windows look great!
    Hey good catch! And thanks for the advice with the deformers. :)

I finished the top-end phasers, but hadn't segmented the ventral ones yet. (Probably should use better lighting to show this stuff off. X_x) Haven't really been able to focus on this thing in the past 2 weeks to finish all of them. The deformer route will definitely be quicker, though!
    awww, I need to stop reading this thread :p

hahaha :P

Nah man, the more input I get on this thing, the better. I'll need it with the references (or lack thereof) of this thing.

Besides, you shouldn't underestimate your own work. Keep at it!
    92163.jpg
    Looking great, ryo80. :D
    .. if you want Ryo, the phaser strips aren't smooth like the Ent D ( even then.. the Ent D isn't smooth either) its segmented.. and if you do it, its a good exercise on the use of deformers :) just model it straight, then use a bend deformer to curve it. it works since its not the whole saucer length.. :)

You can also model them curved and then rotate the cuts for the "notches" into place, but that's beside the point. ;)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I love that underside view.
    Thanks, man. I think that's where the most flattering views are.
    Looking great, ryo80. :D

You can also model them curved and then rotate the cuts for the "notches" into place, but that's beside the point. ;)

This is what I was doing; it can be a pain, but I can't argue with the results. :) I'll probably cut the ventral ones on the saucer that way, and see which way goes more smoothly on the ones on the stardrive.

In the meantime, I've been putting some thought into the visible interior areas. Started with the conference room. I have to make a few adjustments to the structure of deck 2, but I figured I could knock the furniture out quickly. Greatly inspired by IRML's work on the "E", I think I'm going to go with a darker, more ambient color arrangement with the interior rooms.

Also, I'm still on the fence about using LCARS panels at this point. (hence the absence of those small interface thingys on the table) I'd originally thought to have the interior in an upgraded state, but it might be more interesting to make things look more spartan and antiquated, like on the "C". I dunno... what do you guys think?
    92206.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Well, you already have a nice black reflective table surface, so go on and put LCARS all over it :D
    Haha yeah you're probably right. I'll try that and see how it looks :)
    I'd like to see it with the 2340s style interface, but that's just me. ;)

The table and chairs look great.
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    Great work! I would prefer it with a "C" style too.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio