Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWings of Saint Nazaire (Game Art) Large Images!

• ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I suppose the next step is for us to all start demanding desktop wallpapers! :D
  • ViperViper1688 Posts: 717Administrator
    Very nice work again my friend. Always a pleasure to see new stuff from you :D
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    TALON_UK: Thanks! Trip was extremely productive and successful. :D
    Comco: Thanks - Hopefully the ship's not too unbalanced - They seem okay when flying around.
    Annihilator: Now that you mention it...yeah!
    Road Warrior: Thanks. :D
    japetus: Thank you sir!
    Armondikov: Well, then I might have to deliver!
    Viper: Thanks!

Okay, more work on the missiles - Torpedos and IR missiles...
    Missile03.png
    Missile04.png
    Missile05.png

Enjoy!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Those torpeados look appropriately dangerous and badass. :cool: They also look enormous. Can we get a shot with them next to the ship that carries them and a standard sized fighter? I'd be interested to see the scale...

Nice work as usual. :thumb:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Well two of them are from that torpedo boat and are obviously cap ship busters, so they are practically as big as a ship in and of themselves. If they are all to scale however that means the smaller torps/missiles look a little big in comparison, I'd expect them to be smaller if they're meant to be part of the payload for a standard fighter, might just be an optical illusion or something though. Perhaps it would be good to see these smaller missiles as mounted on a fighter for a better idea of comparative scale.

Either way, cracking work as always.
    missilecomp2.png
    missilecomp3.png
    Boom - the torpedoes were actually too small in the previous renders. :D The are shielded in their own right - they definitely act almost like small fighters. Just with guidance systems and a bellyfull of antimatter. Capship Busters, indeed. :D
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    That is a very cool render.
    Started updating the Boomslang:
    BSNew01.png
    BSNew02.png
    BSNew03.png
    Still not done - Got the aft top portion, cockpit area, rear, and entire underside to update the detailing on
    Thoughts?

Enjoy!
    *must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*must-resist-mentioning-the-A-Wing*
    Heh, ya beat me to it.

:p

I really like it though, cracking little ship. Not sure what more detail you'd add though, looks great as it is.

When talking about the torp scale earlier, were you meaning that the big capship busters were too small in that earlier render? Sounds about right if that is the case. I was meaning that the smaller missiles looked too big when compared with the larger ones as I had a frame of reference for their scale when seen on that missile boat. The amended scale in your latest shot with fighters and torps together looks much better.
    Why? It's got more in common with the Snowspeeder (Shape, gunlayout), X-Wing(Engine Arrangement), and Jedi Fighter (Cockpit shape), than that of the A-wing.
    Mention the A-wing all you like, I'll just tell you that. Other than a general overall shape, this doesn't really have much to do with the A-wing. :D
    Speaking of which... UPDATE!
    BSNewComp.png
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Howard Day wrote: »

Looks brilliant. My only observation would be that the leading edge of the tail planes / "vertical stabilisers" looks very orange and clean and shiny at the moment. Seems out of place on a design of yours. ;) Depending on your preferences, it could be dirtied up/scratches a little. Apart from that little hair splitting, I think it looks awesome. :cool:
    Why? It's got more in common with the Snowspeeder (Shape, gunlayout), X-Wing(Engine Arrangement), and Jedi Fighter (Cockpit shape), than that of the A-wing.
    Mention the A-wing all you like, I'll just tell you that. Other than a general overall shape, this doesn't really have much to do with the A-wing. :D

It's better, for a start, than most Star Wars designs, which seem to get increasingly hideous as you explore deeper into the series and EU.

I hear what you're saying about the Snowspeeder, but especially in these orthos you can see the similarities to the A-Wing in the general size of the ship on the whole, and the curved cockpit between the twin fin assembly on the top side, and if you look at it from above or below the 'A' wedge shaped silhouette is almost identical. If it had twin fat barrelled engines rather than a quad booster array you have to admit it would look pretty similar. That said this is not a bad thing, that is a really cool design as is this, and it is not like we're saying you're just cribbing that design or anything. Star Wars is so engrained on our psyche that it is inevitable that we'll throw out a few designs inspired by the designs from those movies, intentional or not. Plus I have to agree your ship does look cooler than an A-Wing which is no mean feat. It is that lovely blending of Foss' style with more contemporary spacecraft design that I love about your work.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member

Nice! The top view kinda-sorta reminds me of a much cooler looking A-wing, but the cockpit looks almost Falcon-ish in the side-view. All in all, I get a sort of BSG Viper MkII feel from the fighter. (Which is not a bad thing, the Viper MkII is one of my all-time favorite planes)
    Comco: Thanks! I made those verticals super clean to make it look like... that area is really well worn, because it's super fast.
    Armondikov: Yeah, I couldn't agree more. The later (cough earlier) designs seem to supper from the "and the kitchen sink" form of designing. Shame, really.
    Talon_UK: Thanks. I accept your critique. :D
    Borkless: Yeah, I was definitely going for a falconish cockpit... I will mention, once again, that Brad Mckinstry was the original designer of this - we both worked on it, sure - but he did all the legwork.

Aaanyhow, here's the latest... We've got a name change to announce - the game is now: "Wings of Saint Nazaire"
    Logo4.png
    website and other info to come soon. :D
    I also worked on the alien shield effects, among many other things.
    Ashield01.gif
    Thoughts?

Enjoy!
    Shield effects look good. First time I saw it, it looked like the flare was oriented off the camera's attitude, not the ship's. Not sure if that was your intention, but it looks cool.
    Nice effect, looks good.

What lead to the name change? Wings brings back memories for me of that old WWI flying game I used to play on the Amiga many moons ago, is that an intentional reference? Logo kinda reminds me of the one for the Expendables too, which isn't a bad thing.
    I'm loving the shield effect.

The new name and logo makes it seem far more old-school, almost generating images of slightly camp swashbuckling in space. Is this the intention? Anyway, keep hold of Dead Silent for the expansion pack!
    Borkless: Yes sah, something along those lines. I'm mostly just trying to make it look awesome.
    Talon_UK: Thanks. The name change... well, Dead Silent was too close to Dead Space, and didn't really feel like the name had...anything to do with the game. In this case, the new name is exactly what the games about... The Fighter Wings of the Saint Nazaire. It also means that the name is immensely easier to make a website for, index searches, and get the word out about - it's unique. :D
    http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com
    Armondikov:Thanks! And yes, a more retro, swashbuckling name is very much desired and intended! And yeah, might as well hold on to that original title for an expansion, or DLC, or whatever. :D
    While I liked the old name, Wings sounds cool as well. Kinda feels like Crimson Skies sort of retro goodness.

On a more technical note, are you going to implement a lead-computing gunsight? (something like they had in the Korean war, where the gunsight would calculate how much lead was needed and move the cross hairs accordingly?)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    ...In this case, the new name is exactly what the games about... The Fighter Wings of the Saint Nazaire. It also means that the name is immensely easier to make a website for, index searches, and get the word out about - it's unique. :D
    http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com

Yes old beam, the name is unique... and intriguing. :D Makes me think that some religious tema can be involved. :)
    All the links in that page arenA’t working at the moment, right?
    Borkless: Then that's fantastic! Retro awesomeness is *exactly* what we wanted to convey! Yes, I definitely plan on having a target-lead indicator something very familiar for the humans...and something alien for the Ctholtians.
    Starship: Well, I can't give too much away about the story line, but there's definitely religion involved. Whether or not it's a *human* religion, well, you'll just have to see.

So, I wanted to show off a sneak peek of the Multiplayer Race Selection Screen! Dynamic code stuff isn't shown, like the scrolling background and the debris particles...
    raceselect03.gif
    And yes, these are what the site bumpers are based on!
    Enjoy!
    Nifty. Reminds me of jQuery.parallax, which would make the site look a bit cool. http://stephband.info/jparallax/
    Very cool.

:cool:
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Howard, I've always been a huge fan of your work, and this latest batch of awesome is another sterling addition to your legacy.
    Armondikov: Thanks, sir! That .js is definitely interesting - I don't know if that'll be used in the website, though...
    TALON_UK: Thanks, Sir!
    Jedilaw: Why, thank you sir - hopefully it just get's better from here!

So, new video for you guys - lots and lots of improvements!
    http://youtu.be/lTcHSGn2h1s
    Thoughts?
    Enjoy!
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    wow that looks to be a great game i love the feeling of it and the artwork to
    So, new video for you guys - lots and lots of improvements!
    http://youtu.be/lTcHSGn2h1s
    Thoughts?
    Enjoy!

Looks great! A few things I noticed:
    -The launch tube doors looked really jerky. Everything else is so smooth, it was kinda jarring. (I know you said the animation was not final, but you asked for thoughts.) Also, it might be cool if the cockpit nosed down a little in the tube (Navy jets do so when being shot off the catapult)
    -The laser weapons sounded kinda wimpy. A deeper, more "PhUMP! PhUMP! PhUMP!" would have more impact. IMO, the guns felt like they were shooting really slowly. The M61 Vulcan in an F16 shoots something like 4000 rounds per minute (and has a really awesome growl when fired. Technically that's a GAU-8 avenger, but they sound similar)

That said, the video still looked awesome! I couldn't shake the feeling that this was some guy talking over helmet-cam footage from a real skirmish. The light flares, the ships, it all looked so real!