Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Take on the Excalibur

• stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Whoa, 18 decks just on the bow?
    Crap, this thing seeminly even dwarfs a Stardestroyer...
    Amazing, and good luck cutting even only half of the number of windows out you planned. I don't think you machine can handle...

18 decks with windows yes but there are more decks then that on the saucer rim. If I counted them right 32 just on the rim. I Decided to space them out a little because thats just to many windows for each deck plus the little trenches have sensors,shield Generators, and cloaking and phaser emitters.

I am done with the bow time to do a side of the saucer rim.
    87435.jpg
    wip4.jpg 180.8K
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice ship. Looks like we think alike. Here is my Providence class from almost three years ago. I was thinking around 1300-1500 meters.

Provfinal-1.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Are you nuts, your system will break down rendering the final stuff!

Looks awesome, though... :P
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    YouA’re a crazy man... Cutting all those windows!?! Are you doing a cleanup too, os just doing the booleans and "leaving as it is"? A cleanup will save rendering time and optimize teh mesh, but in your case I suspect it will be the bigger "pain in the ass" from all the times... :lol:
    As an alterantive, you could "glue" thh windows over the hull. It wonA’t work for close renderings, but will do the service for the other renderings. ;)
    Are you nuts, your system will break down rendering the final stuff!

Looks awesome, though... :P

Hehehe, its actually not that bad.
    What kind of cleanup?
    I can imagien the mesh-cleanup to be hard, but pity the guy who's going to be tasked cleaning those windows for real....
    Starship wrote: »
    YouA’re a crazy man... Cutting all those windows!?! Are you doing a cleanup too, os just doing the booleans and "leaving as it is"? A cleanup will save rendering time and optimize teh mesh, but in your case I suspect it will be the bigger "pain in the ass" from all the times... :lol:
    As an alterantive, you could "glue" thh windows over the hull. It wonA’t work for close renderings, but will do the service for the other renderings. ;)

I'm just leaving the Booleans as is. I have so many other things I want do to the model.
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    What kind of cleanup?
    I can imagien the mesh-cleanup to be hard, but pity the guy who's going to be tasked cleaning those windows for real....

You have no idea... IA’m talking about weld vertices, align pollys and so on. Believe me, itA’s one of the most tedious steps when modelling. I understand his decision, just leaving the Booleans as it is. ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    You have no idea... IA’m talking about weld vertices, align pollys and so on. Believe me, itA’s one of the most tedious steps when modelling. I understand his decision, just leaving the Booleans as it is. ;)

Yeah they are just so small it doesn't matter. Now back to the saucer hangers. :)
    Got the basic shape done on the saucer hanger. Its going to be used as a cargo hanger. I just need to ad some more detail to the inside and just outside of it and can't think of anything at the moment. Any suggestions? I turned off ray tracing for these shots.

Looks like I can't do any ray tracing until I upgrade. :mad::(
    87449.jpg87450.jpg87451.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    some tanks and piping maybe a ladder or 2 a lil room with a few windows so a dude can help guid shuttles and what not
    I'd say that's rather pointless in Trek. Star Wars may need ladders and pipes and tanks in obvious fashion, but Trek's about smoothness and they avoid ladders whenever possible. I'd say put some bulges there as force-field projectors, or some facily greebled tubes as tractor-beam generators.
    The saucer hanger is finished. I decided not to put anymore detail into it since its pretty small compared to the rest of the ship. While I render the ship on another machine i'm going to start on something else. Here is a rough and pretty fast MS paint job of my idea. Tell me what ya think.
    87580.jpg87581.jpg87582.jpg
    Nice work on the hangar, love it.

As per the space-habitat, I like the general concept, but I think a stanford torus of that size would be a bit too small. Could be my memory though, seeing such toruses as kilometers-in-diameter big beasts where entire cities can sprawl.
  • publiusrpubliusr551 Posts: 1,749Member
    I like the space station. Heck the sprawl by itself with a dome on it would be a great city ship on is own.

One of the things I would like to see is a true ubersip. A flatter version of that upper dome with the city sprawl back a bit and some low domes for Bridge command and control centers. This saucer would be on a triangular McQuarrie-prise supertug and look like the Planet of the titans ship, but huge. The secondary hull is just a tug to deliver starbases to other galaxies. These would have iconion pass thrus--rather like on Stargate.

Enterprise Z would be such a ship, spelling the end of the Enterpise series as starships themselves are largely phased out. The nacelles would themselves resemble antenna clusters wrapped in bunches, and the secondary hull have star destroyer level detail. Something you might do at a later point.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    You have done a nice job on this and I think Rivers3d would love this. I like it although I like the nacelles placement on the original Excalibur where you have them more like the original Enterprise.
    Lonewriter wrote: »
    You have done a nice job on this and I think Rivers3d would love this. I like it although I like the nacelles placement on the original Excalibur where you have them more like the original Enterprise.

Yeah thanks Rivers3d does like it with the exception of the weapons pod. She is coming along slowly but surely. While i've been working on her I've also did a little something on the space station. It was pretty easy to do since I used a greeble plug in for the city sprawls. I just wanted to see what it would look like in 3d. It just a simple model and i'll get back to it when I finish the Excalibur. When ever that will be.
    88587.jpg88588.jpg
    The more I look at it, the more I feel like looking at a humongous Star Wars station. It more fits into the overly big ideas of SW...
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    I do agree with Aresius, the overall shape and design does seem suited more to the SW genre. That's not neccessarily a bad thing. Personally, I think the Trek genre needs to explore more of the "Bigger is better" mentality. That's been done somewhat with Things like Unimatrix One, The Fesarius, The Voth city ship.......but not the Federation and Starfleet itself. I mean the largest shp is the Sovie, which IIRC sits somewhere between 600 and 800 meters.

I like your station idea and I say keep going with it. I also like the take on the Excalibur too.
    rwking wrote: »
    I do agree with Aresius, the overall shape and design does seem suited more to the SW genre. That's not neccessarily a bad thing. Personally, I think the Trek genre needs to explore more of the "Bigger is better" mentality. That's been done somewhat with Things like Unimatrix One, The Fesarius, The Voth city ship.......but not the Federation and Starfleet itself. I mean the largest shp is the Sovie, which IIRC sits somewhere between 600 and 800 meters.

I like your station idea and I say keep going with it. I also like the take on the Excalibur too.

Don't forget V'ger. The largest vessel in ST :D
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    stfanboy wrote: »
    Don't forget V'ger. The largest vessel in ST :D

Only if you want to count "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" as worthy of inclusion... I consider Wrath of Khan as the first actual star trek movie.
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    Only if you want to count "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" as worthy of inclusion... I consider Wrath of Khan as the first actual star trek movie.

Yes I do count that movie as a worthy inclusion because it brings the crew back together after the refit and they did find a new life form. It didn't have any space battles but still it was a good Trek story IMHO.

Oh and the music is great.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    stfanboy wrote: »
    Yes I do count that movie as a worthy inclusion because it brings the crew back together after the refit and they did find a new life form. It didn't have any space battles but still it was a good Trek story IMHO.

Oh and the music is great.
    Yet, if you take out the long montages of SFX and Musical Scores, and just show the scenes that actually develop the plot, and move the story forward you have about a 15 to 20 minutes of store. They should have stuck with the idea of ST: Phase II.
    But the important part is that none of these larger scale vessels.......vger, fesarius, voth....etc, were FEDERATION / STARFLEET constructs or builds. That was the point I was making.
    rwking wrote: »
    But the important part is that none of these larger scale vessels.......vger, fesarius, voth....etc, were FEDERATION / STARFLEET constructs or builds. That was the point I was making.

True they need to start putting stuff on the ships that say big daddy on it.
    Due to PC problems, I am not as far on it as i want to be.......but i have been slowly working on a 2000+ meter Trek genre ship myself.
    Sweet, I'm not the only one. Any links?
    not to that stage yet.......
    Hey does anyone know the total decks on a Imperator class star destroyer?
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    If that's so you know how many decks to put on this, then I would just say take the height of the ship and divide by between 3 and 3.5 metres and take your pick of an appropriate number of decks within that. I believe TNG era decks were around 3.3 metres thick, but I usually round up for mine and go with 3.5