Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Take on the Excalibur

167891012»

• RichardRichard0 Posts: 0Member
    Are you going to continue working on the Excalibur or have you stopped editing it?
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Richard wrote: »
    Are you going to continue working on the Excalibur or have you stopped editing it?

Whoa this ship is way too big.
    Federation ships have no reason to be this huge unless it's a Generational ship crossing to other Galaxies. Consider that the Galaxy Class at 642 meters is already so big that with out all the magic fields in Trek this should would tear itself apart at impulse maneuvers. I saw a length of 1600 early in the thread but with Star Destroyer sitting next to it it has to be four times larger.

One of the Biggest problems is storing full starships with Warp Reactors on this Mothership. You'd need the Biggest Transporter ever to make it safe from warp core breaches.

Excalibur is an old favorite from Bridge Commander. I like the sensor pod edition I think the double hull ships could use attachments like this not just destroyers.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    I agree the ship is too big.
    Besides, the Federation has no need to build ships that large.
    The Feds do bigger and better with smaller.
    Deks wrote: »
    I agree the ship is too big.
    Besides, the Federation has no need to build ships that large.
    The Feds do bigger and better with smaller.
    It's just for fun.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Well, he does admit to being a fanboy, so it stands to reason that he's doing a fanboy design. :p

I balked at the size at first too, but as Richard says it's all about having fun.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Well, he does admit to being a fanboy, so it stands to reason that he's doing a fanboy design. :p

I balked at the size at first too, but as Richard says it's all about having fun.

Yep you should see my facebook. Its full of fanboyism. :D Yeah it's pretty big. Federation ships seem tiny to me so I decided to make something large. It was fun to work with and look at something this scale. Anyways, This is on hold indefinitely. I don't know if or when I will get back to it. :(
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    i usually look at sci fi ships and think they are to big lol - think of an aircraft carrier - nimitz class is what 330m or something long and its a BIG ASS ship with a crew of about 5 and half thousand people - to crew something the size your talking about would be millions of people - literally!!
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    ....think of an aircraft carrier - nimitz class is what 330m or something long and its a BIG ASS ship with a crew of about 5 and half thousand people - to crew something the size your talking about would be millions of people - literally!!

Actually, this is incorrect. The brand new Ford class is a tad larger and is crewed by substantially less. Progress means more automation.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    ^ Resistance is futile...

Anyway, it looks like the project is on hiatus until the author says otherwise, so there's not a lot of point in getting down and dirty with the rivet counting at this point. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    ok so its a ship where you can walk for days on end without meeting another person? then whats the point of the ship
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Peace and quiet? ;)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    ok so its a ship where you can walk for days on end without meeting another person? then whats the point of the ship

Hehehe :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwn358yvWjM
    BtyLtVl.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I was thinking about that part from Spaceballs too. :lol:
    For a ship that big you should have a lot more shuttles/runabouts/fighters. The turrets are big enough to have phaser lances and the escape pods are the size of the enterprise E's saucer (they both need to be smaller). I imagine since turbo lifts are to slow they would teleport to go from one place to another. I like the idea but, what's the point of having a pod on a ship this big?
  • publiusrpubliusr551 Posts: 1,749Member
    Well, if you consider a city to be a ship--well, each skyscraper has its own elevators.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Richard wrote: »
    For a ship that big you should have a lot more shuttles/runabouts/fighters. The turrets are big enough to have phaser lances and the escape pods are the size of the enterprise E's saucer (they both need to be smaller). I imagine since turbo lifts are to slow they would teleport to go from one place to another. I like the idea but, what's the point of having a pod on a ship this big?

Turbolifts are misrepresented on Trek. I think they are supposed to operate more along the lines of maglev technology (which btw is REALLY efficient and fast).
    The writers merely slowed the turbolifts down tremendously for the purpose of those conversations that happen inside with 0 regard to ships size, etc.
    This vessels various compartments (despite its size) would still be easily reachable via turbolifts in quite likely under half a minute if you used actual speed values based on overground maglev trains in real life (500 km/h) and inertial dampeners (heck, even the ET3 in real life which would be able to achieve 6500 km/h in vacuum tubes would not really have the passengers experience more than 1G - I think Star Trek can do 6500 km/h acceleration from the get go, and the turbolift would reach its destination in a few seconds - about 2 seconds would be needed to traverse 3.6 km).

Transporting to various places on the ship could be a viable way as well, though I would imagine that turbolifts would still be used.
    Jeffries Tubes seem impractical if you have to crawl your way through multiple kilometers (this actually seems a lot more better for fully automated repair machines such as perhaps SF equivalent of drones) - I prefered early TNG Jeffries Tubes which allowed for a humanoid to walk/run through them - but realistically, no one would ever need to use them unless automation failed (in which case, you need to kick start automation to get everything going again).
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Transporters use energy, which the warp-core generates from fuel. That's why site-to-site transports are rarely used in Trek.
    And Jeffries Tubes are only used for access to the machinery that's not directly adjacent to the normal habitation area (which leads me to believe that the jeffries-tube-network isn't as spread and precise as normal corridors).