Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSkies of Septerra WIP

12346»

• alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    This is looking very nice Stone!
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Desided, that I don`t like the current look and want more "biological" look of the golem. After several attempts, got side-tracked and now learning Z-brush.
    This will be classic Evangelion without armor. I`m using it in my study. Probably, will use it later as a base for new version of golem.
    58229_ZBrush_Document7.jpg
    48233_ZBrush_Document8.jpg
    Well, Z-brush isn`t as easy as SU, but sculpting organic models sure is a great fun. This rough model is sculpted from the scratch, and it is my first experience with Z-brush. Took me about 2-3 hours (tutorial study excluded :D).
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good. How do you like zbrush? I was thinking of downloading the trial and giving it a whirl.
    Portraits, organic models and other "biological" elements are easy. Mechanical elements, where straight lines are needed, are a huge pain in the ass. It`s exact opposite of SU in most ways. You HAVE to learn at least basic lessons first, since the interface is in no way intuitive. Yes, it is easy to use, but you have to know the basis (unlike SU once again). Another thing, you have to keep in mind, is that you are not "modelling" but "sculpting". It`s work of art, using digital clay, and not a precision work with 3D-shapes.

Personaly, I like Z-brush. Thou, I think, that I`ll keep my mechanical models in SU. At least for now.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Portraits, organic models and other "biological" elements are easy. Mechanical elements, where straight lines are needed, are a huge pain in the ass. It`s exact opposite of SU in most ways. You HAVE to learn at least basic lessons first, since the interface is in no way intuitive. Yes, it is easy to use, but you have to know the basis (unlike SU once again). Another thing, you have to keep in mind, is that you are not "modelling" but "sculpting". It`s work of art, using digital clay, and not a precision work with 3D-shapes.

Personaly, I like Z-brush. Thou, I think, that I`ll keep my mechanical models in SU. At least for now.
    yeah, totally unlike SU, or most other software. it must give some pretty huge poly counts.
    yeah, totally unlike SU, or most other software. it must give some pretty huge poly counts.
    Model above is 56.506 polys. But yes, you can easily go into tens of millions polys... What is more fun - Z-brush is not lagging at such huge counts.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Never heard of those Five Star Stories, but of the other two. Nice work, also has some slight resemblance to one of the Jagers from Pacific Rim.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Never heard of those Five Star Stories, but of the other two. Nice work, also has some slight resemblance to one of the Jagers from Pacific Rim.
    Well, since Pacific Rim is, basicaly, overly-sinplified rip-off of Evangelion, the resemblance unintentional. Anyway, the sketchup version is dropped, currently i`m working on Z-brush version of evangelion. After completion, will use it as a template for a golem.

Basic sculpt is complete (hands, feet, base shape of the head), I`ll start working on detailed layer next.

54467_ZBrush_Document9.jpg87980_ZBrush_Document10.jpg

Started detalisation of the head.
    23458_ZBrush_Document11.jpg
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    hips and butt seem out of proportion
    Elowan wrote: »
    hips and butt seem out of proportion
    Well, EVAs are not human, to begin with. Here`s an image from artbook (you can judge the hip size here).
    81789_1349859096385.jpg
    And that`s not lips, but just a seam, covering the teeth. Judging, how wide an EVA can open the jaws, mouth seam should be somewhat crocodile-like.

Edit// Damn. Somhow I read your sentence as "lips". My bad.
    and the image from the 'art book'?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Elowan wrote: »
    and the image from the 'art book'?
    its posted
    colbmista wrote: »
    its posted

Thnx. It didn't show when I 1st viewed this thread.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Really cool looking so far!
    Neck looks very long and it stands very upright. Original Evas were very hunched, which added a lot to their "bestial" and menacing demeanor.

They released some times ago a light novel called Evangelion Anima (can't find a traduction unfortunately) with lots of new artwork, with seems to have much more emphasis on gundam style high octane action, eva customisation and how cool evas are. Note the posture of the Evas.

Seems not so menacing and much more noble suddenly!
    103695.jpg103696.jpg
    I know about hunched necks of the EVAs. Actually in original TV-series, EVA-01 gained upright position only after it consumed S2 organ and "upgraded" itself. In "Rebuild" Evas are significantly less hunched, same as in "Anima" (BTW, Anima isn`t "canon", that`s just a fan-fiction novel. Pretty good illustrations never the less). In case of model, neck isn`t bent for ease of access during sculpting process. Model is articulated, so I can pose like I want afterwards. Plus, that`s just me studying how to work in Z-brush. Different mistakes should be quite common ;) If everything will look well enough, probably I`ll add a layer of armor over this model. I think there is such option in Z-brush. I`m not anywhere near the required skill to use it thou :D
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    I know about the non-canonicity of Anima, or, at least, doesn't articulate directly with the original anime, but with all those loop theories around, who knows how it really works ^^
    Actually in original TV-series, EVA-01 gained upright position only after it consumed S2 organ and "upgraded" itself.

Oh, great, now i have to watch it all again to check that ^^
    Last time you made me rewatch Last Exile. Thankfully you don't take your inspiration from 500 episodes long animes^^
  • stolistoli79 Posts: 130Member
    Well, this one seems to be final version. All rendered in one go, steam and flares are postwork in photoshop.

27566_KOSW_Jager_9.jpg

Great to see Sketchup being represented, wonderful work all round, intriguing world you have created as well, will be lurking around to see how you progress :)
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    my dear, if you need, I have the complete serie of original bandai's HG models, based on the original anime.
    I can take any photo you'd like :D
    Another side-track. This time - sci-fi spacecraft. So, here it is:

Imperial kinetic interceptor WIP. Original universe, yet unnamed. The craft is pre-FTL built and is limited to single system use. In the planned timeline it is allready outdated, but was built in great numbers during First Space war (also known as "Colonies war"). After practical implementation of Alcubierre drive, most ships of this class were disassembled and then rebuilt as FTL-capable spacecrafts. However, this classic design became the cornerstone of the whole imperial spacecraft design philosophy for hundred years to come.

The length of the spacecraft is ~215 meters. Main thruster is fusion-type nuclear drive, with enough Delta-V to reach Saturn on its own in reasonable (scientifically-wise, not animeish) time margins. Main caliber is two-barreled railgun. Secondaries are two point defence laser turrets.

Имперский кинетический перехватчик, черновик. Вселенная оригинальная, всё сходство случайно, либо сознательно сплагиачено . Аппарат был разработан до открытия технологий сверхсветового перемещения и ограничен в своём применении одной системой. По хронологии вселенной, он морально устарел, но, корабли этого класса производились в больших количествах во время Первой Космической войны (так же известна как "Война колоний"). После того, как технологию двигателя Алькубьерре удалось применить на практике, большинство аппаратов этого класса были разобраны и на их основе произодились корабли способные к сверхсветовому переходу. Тем не менее, именно этот аппарат стал краеугольным камнем всей имперской философии строительства космических аппаратов на сотни лет вперёд.

Длина аппарата ~215 метров, основной двигатель работает на принципе ядерного синтеза и обладает достаточным Delta-V чтоб достичь Сатурна в разумные сроки (научно-разумные, а не анимешные). Главный калибр - двуствольное электромагнитное орудие ("рейлган"), вторичный калибр - пара лазерных турелей непосредственной обороны.
    110239.jpg110240.jpg110241.jpg