Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSkies of Septerra WIP

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    I thought about that as well, however, here comes some contradictions with the world set up. There is no radio or radars (due to the core radiaton, they are almost useless) and there is no actual need to put any one on the mast on lookout (it`s easier to raise the whole ship if need be), so, there is no actual need for the mast as is. And last, but not the least - this is the flying ship, and on Septerra, atmosphere, really is a collosal "ocean", connecting al of he world shells. Such enormous amount of air, means harsh winds, and to design open-air posts for the crew, isn`t too wise IMHO. That`s why there are no "machinegun" posts, and canons without turrets. Same goes for bridge design - that structure above the bridge is a sort of mast - enclosed post for a spotter. Well, maybe, when I will model the battleship, I`ll try to keep closer to a WWII feeling.

Thanx for your comment, you are allways welcomed!
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    Got to ask but did you ever play Skies of Arcadia?
    Never. Since it is a console game, as far as I remember, and I never had any of the consoles, only PC.
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice progress! :D
    Another one, back from the dead!

Here is the rough model of the cutter. It suffered numerous redesigns, and the shape isn`t completely finalised yet. As well, as the smaller details aren`t added yet. This ship supposed to be non-military fast courier.

For ease of use, Ive desided to fit every manmade vessel that pipulate the sky of Septerra into one of three categories -
    1) Skyships, or just ships. Aircrafts, that carry the crew inside the hull and holds in the air, due to the lifting gas core only.
    2) Cutters. Smaller ships, similar to the propeller driven planes, that carry the crew inside the hull and fly not (not only) by means of lifting gas core, but due to the lift, provided by wings or lifting propellers.
    3) Kayaks. Sort of "flying motorcycles". The smallest ships in the inventory, that carry the crew outside of the hull and fly due to the lifting gas body.
    ca02f8da5016b535288c2aae3f7a1f86.jpeg

c0f5412c680327fcb66504703d0a34a6.jpeg

01f31e0d75bf3717c48190c4b12e68a3.jpeg

7570a7c80e25c7edaadb4972103f2b48.jpeg
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    The shape looks great to me.
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    Have you ever watched "Last Exile" ?
    this whole thing gives me that sort of vibe.
    Yes, Last exile was one of the things that inspired the whole airship system. In the original game, only the basic principles were stated, the rest is my work :) I like the stylisation of "vanships" from Last exile like an old biplanes and old cars, and want to transfer the look into Septerra (with some change, of course). Civilian, and even some military cutters (those, that belongs to aces, maybe?) will have such glossy, polished look, with bright chrome or brass details, like on old cars.

BTW, "luft vanship" is translated literaly as "flying cutter" from german, so, no wonder that you receive such vibe.
    A few updates. Added intakes for engine and generator radiators. Redesigned the wingtips in favor of more rounded look.
    0b692695a9635e31718255b2fc02d3be.jpg
    ec513ad6993c524cc755a3409258ba64.jpg
    4da393e3cb3de3908bdb5893092b37f5.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    So hilariously impractical, I love it!
    A few details on the courier cutter. Added chaingun ports, main radiator intake for electric motor, aifbrakes/flaps, ailerons, headlamps.
    21f6afccff88c1688a9c3301e43a6c02.jpg
    Test with "light on". Strange results, but at least it works.
    f6651c4d84be9cd59c7abadcc27239a6.jpg
    Top-rear view
    9f3e192b357fd5e971874d8ff39eb966.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    what the.....

Dear me that's some kind of machine!
    If you mean "car", then yes, in case of Septerra, cutters are sort of like cars. Cheap and easy to build (at least low performance ones). Also, air is the main transportation route - there are no seas, most rivers are not so huge, terrain is really broken (to the extent that different towns can be on different "isles", floating in the sky). Additionaly, cutters don`t need any "fuel". All they need is the protein "food" for the biological components and spare water for high performance ones, for power generator.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I love these creative takes on prop planes! I dig the placement of the prop!
    A little update. Changed the radiator`s grill, added remaining control surfaces, steam exhaust and final stage water condenser. Added the signal lamp, thou, I`m not sure if I like how it looks.

02fb3206267b46acf583bc7c77902d59.jpg
    3822ed0daafdd74d6219bcdd21f7bfbe.jpg
    bae9325f6e444e8e24659b5c0893fa6f.jpg
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    I love it! its like a cross between a WWII prop plane, a cuttlefish, and a 1950's car!
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    I want one.
    Discarded the damned signal lamp. No matter how much I`ve tried, it still looks odd. Here are some experiments with lighting. First ones are "real" lights. They shine as they should, illuminating the whole picture. Took quite a while to render (few hours, even on my PC :().
    1599c27393241ddaa51258af672565aa.jpg
    And here are the "fake lights". Yes, they shine themself, but aren`t illuminating anything. Also, they`ve got problem with tinted glass - they are not visible through it. Hovever, the render with them take about 5-6 minutes. Guess, they will do for test renders and huge scenes, where the cutter is just a small part of the whole picture.
    debbd2fbba4aa9d1f0b559b95df3a5e0.jpg
    walpurgis wrote:
    I love it! its like a cross between a WWII prop plane, a cuttlefish, and a 1950's car!
    Well, it sure is a mix between the prop plane and classic car, but what part of it looks like cuttlefish?
    Replaced the temporary material with "carbon fiber" one. Here`s "classic" black and white carbon fiber:
    ee31ded7c4fe119d59b3dc588d4d8068.jpg
    And red-colored one, that seems to fit better. It is also somewhat more glossy.
    8b4be9ae61e87eca98e0060808fcf05e.jpg
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    First rate work SC! The fighter looks like it could really work too.
    Thanx a lot.
    Doubt, it will work with such rotor position, but in a almost fantasy scenario - why not? At least it looks interesting :)
    Interesting is an understatement.
    Interesting, but not unheard of. There was a WWI British scout (who's name escapes me) which had the prop in the middle of the fuselage. Between the pilot and gunner if I remember correctly.
    Currently, I`m working at the cockpit`s internals. The pilot is borrowed from the google warehouse. Leather texture isn`t UV-mapped correctly, yet.
    6ed9d1ddbfa4e8da6eeacac3bba7ec82.jpg
    30be7b9c9bb23ec13fdf9c7e9c04b575.jpg
    Still working on the cockpit detalization. I wanted some sort of basic shape at first, however, l`ve ended up with a quite complex construction :D Right side of the cockpit isn`t finished yet.

3007f3ee8180a34a52626dec818032e8.jpg
    d69736d746a7f0c1f25414381ee6e765.jpg
    Necroposting in my own tread once again. This one will be customized small raider, originally built by Ankara`s shipyard. Model is completed, so now the most boring part for SU user begins - texturing...

91097_Ankara_Raider_1.jpg
    13121_Ankara_Raider_2.jpg
    102109.jpg
    Awesome! I stumbled across this thread via your sig a whiles back, you've got some very cool stuff here. I love the raider, she's got a very cool look to her. Though, have you considered adding shrouds to the aft props? they seem awfully exposed right now.
    I`ve tried to protect the props a few times during modelling. The result... Just doesn`t looks right.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Necroposting in my own tread once again. This one will be customized small raider, originally built by Ankara`s shipyard. Model is completed, so now the most boring part for SU user begins - texturing...

91097_Ankara_Raider_1.jpg
    13121_Ankara_Raider_2.jpg
    looks good, i assume this is some kind of atmospheric air"ship". a bit of a crazy idea but very well modelled and designed.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    I`ve tried to protect the props a few times during modelling. The result... Just doesn`t looks right.

Ducted props might indeed look too much like jet engines or rockets. Ah, well, it has a nice vibe that way :)
    I feel like watching Last Exile again ^^