Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DChronicles of Men: Original Universe Concept Art

• Sorry you feel that way Salsa but this is the direction I am going with the designs from here on out. I just feel the better reflect what I wanted the verse and it's ships too looks like. And I feel these ships look like they can take as much a pounding as the last.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Can't help it but I like both versions since they feel like two different eras (look at a sail ship era warship and then at a modern AEGIS-type destroyer).
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    You are aware that the Katana-class is very much a suicide-ship?
    A bridge so clos to the front almost screams Hit Me.

Anyway, nice ships.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Great job on the Renown and a credible and fun to read history to go with it. And I like the new design lineage more and more it is certainly much more modern looking and that was the intention. And the bridge location is not a problem since if you look at it like that then all star trek ships have a major design flaw (even modern ships) and the bridge should be possitioned more in the hull. But then again most ships have a command and control section that could cover for the bridge if it is shot up :)
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry you feel that way Salsa but this is the direction I am going with the designs from here on out. I just feel the better reflect what I wanted the verse and it's ships too looks like. And I feel these ships look like they can take as much a pounding as the last.

I know. I was just making my opinion known (and being rather blunt about it). It's your ships, you always have the final say on what they look like.

That said, I still like the paint schemes you come up with for these beauties.
  • Aresius wrote: »

Anyway, nice ships.

I disagree. The placement of the Katana's bridge and the way the Katana is designed to be used means that the placement of the bridge their gives the pilot and captain an opitmal view. Plus, you have to remember that a highly maneuverable ship, you wouldn't be able to aim directly at the small bridge at the nose. Instead, a ship targeting the Katana would aim at the bulk of the ship (that would be near the engines or the main hull) because that gives you the greatest chance of hitting the ship. Consequently, the bridge being at the nose actually puts it in an area where it is less likely to get hit. I mean this ship is used in the verse more as a fighter so you have to apply fighter concepts to the design. That is to say, that having the bridge where it is means that the bridge crew is more likely to survive a hit because they are further away from the engines and bulk of the ship which a weapon would lock onto.
    Flanker wrote: »
    Great job on the Renown and a credible and fun to read history to go with it. And I like the new design lineage more and more it is certainly much more modern looking and that was the intention. And the bridge location is not a problem since if you look at it like that then all star trek ships have a major design flaw (even modern ships) and the bridge should be possitioned more in the hull. But then again most ships have a command and control section that could cover for the bridge if it is shot up :)

Well the "bridge" in and of itself where it is, like I said in an earlier post, is in a place where it is away from the mass of the ship. Now these ships fight at ranges of hundreds of thousands of kilometers. Consequently, a ship firing at the Renown would have as much a chance of scoring a "lucky hit" on the bridge they would scoring any other "lucky hit" Not to mention there is blast armor and such around the bridge to protect against such "lucky shots."

And yes, there are CICs in this ship that are buried in the hull. The bridge retains its windows because if sensors go down, it doesn't help to have your pilots staring at a blank screen. It would be nice to at least make sure you don't run into an asteroid or another ship in your own fleet and for that the mark one eyeball comes in handy.

Then again, I can always just take the easy way out and say it was an "artistic choice" which, of course, it was. Plus, for the sake the proper mood/drama/etc. in the novel - it pays to have windows you can look out of.
    salsa wrote: »
    I know. I was just making my opinion known (and being rather blunt about it). It's your ships, you always have the final say on what they look like.

That said, I still like the paint schemes you come up with for these beauties.

Heh, yeah the paint schemes are something I have way too much fun with. I always loved the "razzle-dazzle" schemes from WWI and WWII. They always gave a warship a sort of "aggressive" feel and I tried to replicate that with the paint schemes.
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    Aresius wrote: »

Anyway, nice ships.
    Lets be honest here. MIJ is making a Universe in which the weapons of choise for starships are either missiles (presumably with big warheads of some kind) or mass drivers that spit out pieces of metal at significant fractions of lightspeed.

Anything that gets past your defenses is going to give you a Very Bad Day.

I think that just like nowadays, the preference is to Not Get Shot. Because if the enemy does get a shot in, the result will very likely be a mission kill or outright death for all but large ships of the line. Considering that, a little ship might just as well have an exposed bridge...
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    Mihoshi wrote: »
    Lets be honest here. MIJ is making a Universe in which the weapons of choise for starships are either missiles (presumably with big warheads of some kind) or mass drivers that spit out pieces of metal at significant fractions of lightspeed.

Anything that gets past your defenses is going to give you a Very Bad Day.

I think that just like nowadays, the preference is to Not Get Shot. Because if the enemy does get a shot in, the result will very likely be a mission kill or outright death for all but large ships of the line. Considering that, a little ship might just as well have an exposed bridge...

Agreed. Modern warships are surprisingly fragile...relatively speaking. Gone are the days when feet of steel was layered on to any supposedly vulnerable surface of a ship. Modern weapons (Exocet missiles, ADCAP torpedoes, etc.) make most armor a moot point. Today, the focus is on stealth and/or countermeasures to keep the ship from being hit in the first place.
  • GOV-38 "Bounder"

ISA___GOV_38___Bounder___by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Intersystem Alliance Navy
    GOV-38 “Bounder” Dropship-Gunship

Specifications:

Physical Attributes
    Classification: Light Atmospheric Transport/Gunship
    Length: 22m (75 ft)
    Height: 6m (19.5 ft)
    Width: 17m (55 ft)
    Crew: 1 Pilot and 2 Gunners
    Other: 10 Marines in Power Armor or 20 Personnel

Armament
    - 3x PBD-132 3cm Particle Beam Repeaters
    - 2x LMD-15 20mm Artillery Mass-Drivers (optional)
    - 2x LGML-17D “Archer” Misisle Racks (Type 19 AA-AG Armament)

Defenses
    - Counter-Grav Barriers (20 MW/S Dispersion Rating)
    -20x Plasma Chaffe Decoys

Propulsion and Power
    -4x Armstrong SALC-93G Fusion Turbines –30 MW output combined )
    -1x Armstrong SCCMD-15 Counter-Mass (rated for max velocity of 0.3c and acceleration of 300g)

History:

The GOV-38 “Bounder” is the Alliance Navy’s standard issue light dropship and gunship. Far more maneuverable than the larger “Warhorse,” the “Bounder” has become the go to light assault craft in the Alliance Navy. It was designed at a time when the Alliance lacked the necessary air support to carry out high speed, urban warfare missions. While the “Warhorse” was an effective transport, its decreased maneuverability and limited small arms meant that it couldn’t effectively provide cover to deployed ground forces and it itself was a floating target.

When designing the “Bounder”, the Armstrong design firm turned to the older “Hawk” type gunship that the “Warhorse” had replaced. The “Hawk” utilized self-orienting control surfaces that provided enhanced maneuverability. However, the “Hawk” program had suffered from financing issues and what appeared to be performance problems were in fact mechanical failures within the control surface system. Consequently, the “Warhorse” had abandoned the self-orienting controls surface system. However, the Armstrong design team had resurrected this concept for the “Boudner” which is uses a heavily improved control system that relies on a truncated virtual intelligence to manage the numerous control surfaces to optimize maneuverability during flight operations.
    Since its introduction into the fleet five years ago, the “Bounder” has become a common site in everything from the Navy’s emergency medical response efforts to the Verge Incursions of 2780. One particularly incident which gained the “Bounder” a great deal of publicity was the high profile evacuation of the Alliance Embassy on Nuevo Rosalia. There, “Bounder” dropships from the ANS Prince Henry carried out high risk missions to the Embassy tower and managed to evacuate all six-hundred personnel before the tower fell to revolutionary forces.

With an already stellar performance record and a series of positive high profile incidents, the “Bounder” looks poised to become a staple of Alliance Navy air power and a favorite among Marine and Special Forces strike teams in need of a fast and nimble assault transport.
  • That looks pretty swift, are you using Illustrator for these schematics? If so is at 1:1 scale or have you scaled the vessels down? I looked back over the thread and saw you're earlier work, the chunky older looking more utilitarian vessels have a charm to them, like Halo vessels. The newer versions appear more streamlined, more designed rather than built (if that makes sense) and I like their similarities, as design uniform goes, they look good. I don't particularly favour one design lineage over the other, it'd be nice to see some 3D side by side to see the relational differences.
    Nice shuttle Josh. Where do the troops disembark?
  • Nice shuttle Josh. Where do the troops disembark?

Can't really tell from this view but there is a ramp at the back of it.
    Just going off the picture- you might want to mount those engines up higher. When the troops disembark, I would assume their first action would be to secure the LZ, which means fanning out to either side of the dropship. Those engines (specifically any thermal exhaust) might be hazardous.

But that's just my thinking.
  • Not really, those engines will be pointing downward when the ship is landing anyways. So your exhaust will not be directed at the personnel. And you have to remember those are counter-mass engines, not reaction engines. Consequently, there won't be heat/fire from them, simply negative gravity which wouldn't do much to injure the crew. The glowing bit you see is only ionization energy that bleeds off.
    I figured as much, but it was worth asking about.

Good explanation. :)
  • An update to the "Bounder" to include some refinement to the details and a top view "blueprint" Hope you enjoy:

ISA___GOV_38___Bounder___by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • And Updated Alliance Navy Uniforms:

Alliance_Navy_Unifroms_WIP_4_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That Dropship/Gunship is really sweet :thumb: Are you planning to do some extra images of any of your ships or are the shots shown here the final images for all of them ?
  • What's here is all that I'm doing. There are too many types of ships and too many governments to do anything other than a fully detailed side view and the "technical diagram" port and dorsal view. I mean I leave for OCS in 4 months so my time is extremely limited.

Glad you like the concepts though! I'll try to keep a good pace pumping em out. Next up is the Illustrious-Class Battleship of the Alliance Navy
  • Intersystem Alliance Navy
    Jupiter-Class Battleship

Specifications:

Physical Attributers
    Classification: Battleship (2rd Rate Ship of the Line)
    Length: 3,000m (9,842 ft)
    Height: 442m (1,450 ft)
    Width: 450m (1,520 ft)
    Crew: 5,000 Crewmen, 800 Non-Commissioned officers, 200 Officers
    Other: 5000 Disembarkable Marines and Equipment or 150 Orbital Airborne Drop Troopers and Equipment

Armament
    - 16x HMD-50H 50inch Capital-Grade Mass Drivers (4 in each turret)
    - 98x Daulin MD-49 2inch Rapid fire Mass Drivers (2 in each turret - deployable)
    - 3x HMD-100H 100inch Capital-Grade Mass Driver (Axial Mount)
    - 96x GML-58B “Dual Lance” Missile Racks (Type 58 ADCAP Armament)

Defenses
    - 6mThick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
    - Counter-Grav Barriers (7,000 PW/S Dispersion Rating)
    - 400x Daulin PBD-132 3cm Particle Beam Repeaters (Deployable)

Support Craft
    - 26x GOV-38 “Bounder” Gunship
    - 14x LAT-48 “Warhorse” Dropship
    - 1000x OA Orbital Drop Pods
    - Marine Support Equipment (Mission Variable)

Propulsion and Power
    - 2x Zeus Type BB8Z Zero Point Energy Core – 60,000 PW output
    - 1x Rork MG-CMD-13H (rated for maximum velocity of 0.8c and acceleration of 1000g)
    - 1x Rork MG-CMD-13H-BKup (rated for maximum velocity of .6c and acceleration of 600g)
    - 1x Rork FTL-09-MGH Katsumi-Fujita Gravitic Drive Unit (Independent and Termini Interface Modes)

History:

The Jupiter-Class Battleship is one of the most visual ships of the Alliance Navy, at least to Alliance citizens. These massive warships look very much the part of a classic Armstrong Design Firm concept and they are also the most powerful Battleship in known space besides the Royal Sagittarian Navy’s Emperor-Class; and even in the case of the Emperor, the effective difference between them is barely 5%. Indeed, the Jupiter-Class is the Alliance’s workhorse ship of the line. Numerous enough to serve away from their powerful dreadnought masters but strong enough in their own right to serve as true ships of the line in conjunction with a dreadnought squadron. However, Jupiter’s now popular prestige was hard earned.

The design and development of the Jupiter-Class was marred early on when the Armstrong Design Firm failed to meet their design submission date by four months. With the Alliance already in the process of taking the much older Everest-Class battleships offline, they were faced with the very real threat of a vastly reduced battleship force with no proper replacement. Furthermore, when construction finally did begin on the first hull, the inclusion of many new armor and weapons technologies meant that that phase of the process was quickly behind schedule as well. All in all, when the first Jupiter-Class left her slip, she was over one-year behind schedule.

By this point, the Admiralty had become extremely leery of the entire class. Yet a young, upstart commanding officer – then Captain Harris – was determined to prove her new commands worth; and the results spoke for themselves. In a simulated exercise, the Jupiter under Harris’ command managed to successfully destroy two of the older Everest-class ships and cripple a third while taking only fifty six percent damage – an astounding figure given the ferocity of the exchange and the sheer number of kills Jupiter had scored. Yet, however exuberant the Admiralty had been, this had not been a live fire test and Jupiter was still an uproven ship in their minds.

This changed in the early days of the Verge incursions when, in a stunning move, the Genoan Navy managed to take the Alliance System of Eden and destroyed Admiral Harris’ – Captain Harris’ father – ten Everest-Class battleships. The Admiralty scrambled to muster a force strong enough to retake Eden without uncovering more vital areas and what emerged was a twenty battleship force headed by Jupiter. Under Admiral Gary Fenton, Jupiter and her task force not only retook Eden but routed the rest of the Genoan Navy in orbit of their capital world. In those two conflicts, Jupiter herself accounted for five direct battleship kills, two soft assists, and two direct battlecruiser kills. An impressive number for a ship that took only ten percent damage during the entire exchange.

As a result, the Jupiter-Class was quickly approved for mass production and as of 2785, four-hundred are in active duty with another two-hundred in the slips. In conjunction with their younger, smaller sisters – the Renown-Class – the Jupiter-Class represents the modern naval design theory driving the Alliance Navy’s Ships of the Line and they are the shadow of things to come; specifically in the form of the in-development monster – the Alliance’s new Admiral-Class Dreadnought.

Famous Ships of the Line

BB-1000----ANS JUPITER
    BB-1005----ANS NYX
    BB-1009----ANS HYPERION
    BB-1017----ANS HERA
    BB-1032----ANS ZEUS

ISA___Jupiter_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW: http://www.deviantart.com/download/155238821/ISA___Jupiter_Class_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
  • SaGaJrSaGaJr0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like your ships madeinjapan1988.

While the older versions are simplier and a little blocky, they have a good and reliable old-tech feeling.
    The new ones are real spaceship beauties with high-tech designs.
    Looks really good Josh. Although, with a 600 ship run, you'd run out of deities eventually.
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wow, a beautiful ship! :D
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Fantastic! Love the look too as it shows an advance to the design that one would expect of new technology and an advance in combat tactics borne out over years of combat. Very cool :)
  • Coalition of Independent Systems
    People's Navy Battlecruiser Prinz Eugen WORK IN PROGRESS
    CIS___Prinz_Eugen_Clas_WIP_N1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    Full View: http://www.deviantart.com/download/155346818/CIS___Prinz_Eugen_Clas_WIP_N1_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

Arch Enemy to the Alliance's Renown-Class, the Prinz-Eugen is the People's Navy' premier battlecruiser. A missile heavy ship, the Eugen has a larger missile broadside than the Renown though her turreted guns fire a smaller 40-inch diameter slug and her axial gun is a 80-inch diameter variety.

Interestingly, the Alliance Navy's Office of Naval Intelligence has identified a sub-class of the Prinz-Eugen, known as the Dominator-Sub Type, which forgoes the bow-guns for a much larger forward boat bay. Furthermore, this variant seems to be used exclusively by the CIS Ministry of Internal Affairs and likely uses the expanded boat bay space to carry a more marines and drop ships to suppress "Enemies of the People's Party"
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Was waiting what you would do with the Coalition Navy Forces and it looks great and in line with the new technical style. Are you also planning on creating other navies like the Geneon Navy you mentioned in the Jupiter Class discription? Or should this be seen like during the Cold War - East vs West with almost every country being in one like NATO or the Warschau Pact?

Looking forward what you will do with other classes like destroyers, frigates, corvettes etc etc
  • Flanker wrote: »
    Was waiting what you would do with the Coalition Navy Forces and it looks great and in line with the new technical style. Are you also planning on creating other navies like the Geneon Navy you mentioned in the Jupiter Class discription? Or should this be seen like during the Cold War - East vs West with almost every country being in one like NATO or the Warschau Pact?

Looking forward what you will do with other classes like destroyers, frigates, corvettes etc etc

There is one other major faction. The Star Kingdom of Sagittarius and their Royal Sagittarian Navy.

Glad you like the designs! I'm really enjoying fleshing out this verse.

Little update - The Renown-Class and her two main configurations: Normal and Battle.

ISA___Renown_Class_Configs_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg
    FULL VIEW:
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/155527190/ISA___Renown_Class_Configs_by_madeinjapan1988.jpg

There are six things different in battle config. If you name all six you get to name a ship (as long as its serious) of the class! Good luck!
  • FrostRaptorFrostRaptor0 Posts: 0Member
    Differences:
    -armored shutters over windows
    -reactor mass loading port sealed
    -armor over landing bay
    -armor over drop bay
    -armor over flag bridge
    -missile (?) ports open

Yes?
  • Frost Raptor Wins! Name your Renown and Her Captain. I'll try to include her in a Short Story or Main Novel along with the CO whenever I get the chance.